iOS Apple iPhone X charging issues( cable needs to be in particular way)

Hey all,
So lately been noticing that I have to connect my charging cable in a particular way to my iPhone for it to get detected and charge.
It charges fine once done.

Have to make several tries to get it right. This use to happen before but just once or twice it would solve the issue but nowadays it takes many tries.

The lightning cable I got is almost brand new original recently and I don't even see any cuts or problems with the cable.

Does anyone here face the same issue? Any fix you recommend?
If I take it to Apple , any idea how much they would charge?

Not iPhone, but the issue might be same. This was a common issue for Nokia 7 Plus phones. Happened the same way as you described. The issue was the charging port of the phone. It might be the same for your phone. Will be better to get it checked and repaired, because after some time, it might even stop charging.

Not iPhone, but the issue might be same. This was a common issue for Nokia 7 Plus phones. Happened the same way as you described. The issue was the charging port of the phone. It might be the same for your phone. Will be better to get it checked and repaired, because after some time, it might even stop charging.
Thanks for reply.
I have another option ( wireless charging ) which iPhone x supports but prefer this cable one. Otherwise I will have to carry wireless charger just for this.
I want to keep using this mobile till next year atleast.
I want to know how much would Apple charge for this and if anyone here has got it done from Apple.

I have tried that too. Did not help.
In that case, try using any other cable just to rule it out, if still not fixed, then I strongly recommend go to any trusted mobile repair shop, get it fixed or find out what the issue is, cause in the Apple service center I think they do not repair the port on the phone, so you may be looking at a full replacement.

In that case, try using any other cable just to rule it out, if still not fixed, then I strongly recommend go to any trusted mobile repair shop, get it fixed or find out what the issue is, cause in the Apple service center I think they do not repair the port on the phone, so you may be looking at a full replacement.
I have 2 cables ( one original and one cheap one) exactly same issue with both.
You have to keep trying few times from different angles before phone detects it.

I will try to check with apple too.

Thanks for reply.
No problem.

I have another option ( wireless charging ) which iPhone x supports but prefer this cable one. Otherwise I will have to carry wireless charger just for this.
Have you tried wireless charging? If you can, I think you should go for wireless charging, in case you do not want to get the phone repaired, and/or, you do not want to make the issue worse.

Because, on Nokia 7 Plus, the issue started to become worse when the charging had to be done at a certain angle. Slowly, it got worse and made me more and more frustrated and I had to try several times at various angles and had to resort to what not, to figure out how to apply pressure to charge the phone somehow. Once it got charging, I had to leave it slowly, and not disturb it even a little bit, otherwise the whole cycle started again.

That might not happen in your case... iPhone charging port might be better, but it is good to be cautious.
I want to keep using this mobile till next year atleast.
I want to know how much would Apple charge for this and if anyone here has got it done from Apple.
You can try to call the Apple service center and ask them how much it will cost to fix such an issue. Don't tell them about the cheap cable, because then they will blame the whole thing on you perhaps, as I think Apple are very particular about using only original products. Just tell them about the issue, and how it can be fixed and how much it will cost you.

No problem.

Have you tried wireless charging? If you can, I think you should go for wireless charging, in case you do not want to get the phone repaired, and/or, you do not want to make the issue worse.
Yes it works but I will have to keep carrying that extra wireless charger. it is quite a big one from Samsung with Ultra violent thing

Maybe I might invest on some other decent wireless charger if I find good deal.
Because, on Nokia 7 Plus, the issue started to become worse when the charging had to be done at a certain angle. Slowly, it got worse and made me more and more frustrated and I had to try several times at various angles and had to resort to what not, to figure out how to apply pressure to charge the phone somehow. Once it got charging, I had to leave it slowly, and not disturb it even a little bit, otherwise the whole cycle started again.

That might not happen in your case... iPhone charging port might be better, but it is good to be cautious.

Thats exactly what is happening with my iphone too . I have to leave the phone very slowly once its gets connected.
You can try to call the Apple service center and ask them how much it will cost to fix such an issue. Don't tell them about the cheap cable, because then they will blame the whole thing on you perhaps, as I think Apple are very particular about using only original products. Just tell them about the issue, and how it can be fixed and how much it will cost you.
No . I stopped using the fake cable since quite some time and even after that the new original cable use to work quite fine like just 2-3 times try to connect and it would connect but now Its like trying to win a jackpot.

Yes Will check with them soon.

Yes it works but I will have to keep carrying that extra wireless charger. it is quite a big one from Samsung with Ultra violent thing
Oh yea, that looks like a big one haha. I looked up on Amazon, and saw the plate ones that look big... don't know what their exact size will be. There are ones which are like a stand, and those look smaller. I have no idea about wireless chargers. But yea, if you can't get the charging port repaired, then a wireless charger looks like the option to go for.

Thats exactly what is happening with my iphone too . I have to leave the phone very slowly once its gets connected.
Oh, then there is the risk that the port might stop working altogether. I got the charging port of my phone repaired just a few days ago, because I was really frustrated, and also, there was increasing risk that phone might just stop charging one day. I had talked to the service center, and they had told me that the charging plate will be replaced, and it costs 1800, but when I got there, they told me that they will try to repair the port and see if it works. They were able to repair it, and it cost me just 800. So, my work was done cheaply.

But yea, Apple are known for their costly repairs, and as Heisen says, if they don't replace the port, it might be even more costly. I don't know what Heisen meant by full replacement... replacement of phone? Or, some other part of the phone? Anyways, chances are, it might not be cheap.

From what I read on the net by searching, the charging port can be repaired, and it might cost from 499 to 3999 or even upto 6k+.

but now Its like trying to win a jackpot.
Yep, same with my phone. Had to struggle so much.. trying different positions, different pressure, and praying that it wouldn't stop charging once it started to charge. Even then, without any interference, it stopped charging in between, and I had to struggle again... was very frustrating.

Okay.
This needs to be updated.

I was trying to charge In The morning several times and it would just not get connected. Like out of 10 only 1.5 times it would get connected.
Irritated I finally said let me try to clean the port again this time( last time I only used ear bud ) with this lcd screen solution this one below.

Deal of the day: Portronics Swipe 2 Screen Cleaner & Duster with Refillable Spray Bottle, Chemical Free for Monitors & Laptop Screen, Smartphones & Tablets(Red) https://amzn.eu/d/c44ArIZ

I filled the entire port with the spray and waited for about 10 seconds till it disappeared.

Then this time I used a steel pin and little more force then Last time and I think that helped a lot.

I could see some dirt that were solid came out.
I tried again to charge and it has definitely improved to quite an extent. I would say as of now it is getting detected 5 -6 times out of 10 which is big improvement.

Someone who wish to try this. Please try this at your own risk and using pin with force can damage the port even further.
Also the solution I used can also damage but again it worked for me and I was ready to take the risk.
also take a note : iPhone X is waterproof to an extent so maybe the spray could not do the water damage to the port.

I just posted here what I did out of frustration as I was ready to move to wireless completely if this had failed
But luckily it worked for me and hope it helps someone who is ready to take the risk.

I haven't got much time to test this further. Will update again later.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again to @Heisen and @CapriAnupam for trying to help.

Last edited:
Well, glad it worked out for you, even if partially, but if it is better than before, that's great. Hope it stays that way, and doesn't deteriorate further.

About cleaning the port, that spray seems very shady lol. There is nowhere mentioned, as to what is the composition of the spray, or what it contains. Also, it seems to be for screen cleaning.

So yes, what you wrote towards the end is a good warning actually. Chances are, that if you use a spray which you shouldn't be using, or it isnt good for electronic parts, and if not used properly, it can cause damage. Also, even isopropyl alcohol can cause damage if used for internal cleaning, and not used carefully, because essentially, it is a liquid, and if it reaches the electronic circuity inside, it can cause damage, and it might even cause damage to the motherboard, or something else, and it can either cost you more in repairs, and/or it can even cause your phone to be damaged beyond repair.

I got to know from this forum only, that to clean electronic components, it is best to use isopropyl alcohol, as it evaporates very quickly, and so there is very less risk of causing damage.

During covid time, I was scared and used to clean my phone screen and back and sides (when I came from outside), with a spirit, that I had bought to clean my garden tools like shears, so that they don't infect other plants, in case I had used them to cut any infected plant. Spirit is also alcohol, but not pure like isopropyl alcohol, which is very pure. So, after I came to know about it, I now use it to clean my garden tools, and also to clean the screen of smudges etc.

So yea, even with isopropyl alcohol, you have to be very careful on how you use it.

Same goes for using force on the pin too, it can cause damage. Things with electronics should be dealt with a lot of care, so as not to cause further damage, specially when we are not aware of the stuff.

But yea, I understand that frustration can make us do such things. Be more careful in the future. It is better to get it repaired, than cause more damage, which can cause your phone to stop working, or, it can cost you a lot more in repairs than what it would've cost you originally.

Good luck.

@CapriAnupam I was looking for composition of the spray mentioned above and post pic but like even the cover of the spray has no composition mentioned.

Re: isopropyl alcohol, make sure you're using the 99% lab/industrial stuff, not the 70% rubbing alcohol you get in medicine shops.
Okay. Thanks. Will look for it for future use.
Not sure if Amazon/Flipkart has them though.

@CapriAnupam I was looking for composition of the spray mentioned above and post pic but like even the cover of the spray has no composition mentioned.
Yea, exactly, that's why I called it shady haha. It says it is chemical free, alcohol free, so whats the composition lol. And alcohol should be there for cleaning electronic parts, as it evaporates quickly.

Not sure if Amazon/Flipkart has them though.
Amazon has it.. I bought the same that is quoted below.

I have the same. It is very cheap, yet, great quality.

The charging port, the ear speaker and the mic, they all accumulate dust over time, due to our dusty environment, the sound gets distorted or muddy. Manual cleaning is required. The charging port can be cleaned from outside, but for the other two, phone needs to open up. I have seen countless cases of blocked vents in iPhones due to dust. Half the repair business is this only.

I say get it properly cleaned from the mobile repair shop if you don't have the tools, there is nothing in the charging port, once cleaned properly, your phone will charge 100% of the time when plugged in.

As mentioned .
Another update and probably last one.

So It is now charging everytime I try to connect and I no longer have to connect it at certain angle.

Cleaning with the swipe 2 seems to have solved the problem completely for me.

However another advice to people use toothpic might be better instead of a steel pin because pins if used with even little extra force can completely ruin the charging port.

Back