Apple announces new M2 processors

I suppose more than 8 GB of RAM will be a customizable option like they do now. The hardware can support upto 24 GB but yes, I wish they did not skimp on the base model.

I suppose more than 8 GB of RAM will be a customizable option like they do now. The hardware can support upto 24 GB but yes, I wish they did not skimp on the base model.
The problem is that the customizable option is only there on Apple website, which only sells at MRP. The base model goes for discounted prices with Amazon, fk, etc.

When I was buying my M1 Mac Mini, the effective difference between 8 GB and 16 GB was ₹30k for this reason. I eventually got the 8 GB model for 55k.
Will that give any benefits to people waiting on these M2 launches so that M1 prices go down and they can get M1 MBP or MBA with a decent price drop
?
I doubt. Since Apple is continuing to sell M1 Air at same price, it's unlikely to change anything. MBP is available with the updated processor at the same price though. So the base model is reasonably attractive now at 1.3 Lakhs.

The problem is that the customizable option is only there on Apple website, which only sells at MRP. The base model goes for discounted prices with Amazon, fk, etc.

When I was buying my M1 Mac Mini, the effective difference between 8 GB and 16 GB was ₹30k for this reason. I eventually got the 8 GB model for 55k.

I doubt. Since Apple is continuing to sell M1 Air at same price, it's unlikely to change anything. MBP is available with the updated processor at the same price though. So the base model is reasonably attractive now at 1.3 Lakhs.
Wonder how pricing in US and Dubai will be affected, or not as you said. Coz I guess there is a clear difference of around 20-30 thousand when it comes to Indian prices and the US prices! Kinda similar with Dubai prices.

It's better than M1... which was better than anything else. MBA M2 will be a monster and the price is well worth it. If they fixed the build quality issues too that would be awesome (My MBA M1 had some cracking noises that a lot of people experienced)

It's better than M1... which was better than anything else. MBA M2 will be a monster and the price is well worth it. If they fixed the build quality issues too that would be awesome (My MBA M1 had some cracking noises that a lot of people experienced)
It is a tough call to go for MBA or MBP 13inch when it comes to M1. But I guess with no such redesign and only replacing the chip in new MBP 13 is a pretty confusing strategy, now buyer is divided between a new MBA with M2 or MBP with M2 that has every flaw as of previous generation MBP.

M2 is underwhelming. If M3 is going to take another 2 years - Intel & AMD will be ahead with Meteor Lake and Zen5.
Do we have any benchmarks?

Zen 4 is not promising big jumps despite the move to 5nm. So I don't think there's much indication that Zen 5 will be a huge jump either.

MacBook Pro is likely to run slightly faster under stress due to better cooling. Also, it comes bundled with 65w power adapter, and a slightly bigger battery.

MacBook Pro is likely to run slightly faster under stress due to better cooling. Also, it comes bundled with 65w power adapter, and a slightly bigger battery.
Does the Air throttle at any real world workload/temps ?
Given the battery performance of the Air, I don't see the incremental 2 hour difference of battery and 35 watt adapter as being significant. The Air has a slightly bigger and better screen real estate, bigger keyboard, FHD camera and its still smaller and lighter.
At the least they should have upped the RAM in the Pro. They seem to be cannibalizing their products with little or no differentiation.

Last edited:
Does the Air throttle at any real world workload/temps ?
Given the battery performance of the Air, I don't see the incremental 2 hour difference of battery and 35 watt adapter as being significant. The Air has a slightly bigger and better screen real estate, bigger keyboard, FHD camera and its still smaller and lighter.
At the least they should have upped the RAM in the Pro. They seem to be cannibalizing their products with little or no differentiation.
Definitely the difference is very small. Both products have some minor advantages over the other.

The performance difference is by Apple's own description of pro's cooling.

Other than that, US and Europe are not as price sensitive as India. So I guess people won't mind paying $100/€100 more for the bigger battery and power adapter.

It actually went up by 27k, not 20k.

M1 Air was selling for 93k officially and went as low as 80k unofficially, now Apple increased it's price to 1L officially.
M2 Air is extra 20k on top, so 1.2L

M2 Air costs 27k more than M1 Air did at launch (93k).

I was waiting for M2 air to upgrade from 8GB M1 MBP, but got super disappointed with the pricing and ended up buying LG Gram 17 2021 on sale for 90k instead.

M2 air will cost 1.2L + 20k + 20k = 1.6L for 16GB, 512GB config. That's way too much. I'm priced out.

LG Gram 17 gives me 17 inch 1440p screen, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, expandable M2 slot for nearly half the price. Seemed like a no brainer.

It actually went up by 27k, not 20k.

M1 Air was selling for 93k officially and went as low as 80k unofficially, now Apple increased it's price to 1L officially.
M2 Air is extra 20k on top, so 1.2L

M2 Air costs 27k more than M1 Air did at launch (93k).

I was waiting for M2 air to upgrade from 8GB M1 MBP, but got super disappointed with the pricing and ended up buying LG Gram 17 2021 on sale for 90k instead.

M2 air will cost 1.2L + 20k + 20k = 1.6L for 16GB, 512GB config. That's way too much. I'm priced out.

LG Gram 17 gives me 17 inch 1440p screen, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, expandable M2 slot for nearly half the price. Seemed like a no brainer.
Basically they're going to take all the chips with one faulty GPU core and put them in MacBook Air, since that's the only one with 7 core GPU.

For 8 GB/256 GB, it's definitely not worth it. I saw it going for as low as 78k with card offers earlier this year. It made some sense at that price.

8 GB are clickbait versions. Apple attracts the crowd with that version. People buy it to only realize 8GB is too little and then they dump it here.
Stupid question maybe but once you buy the 8gb ram version ,can you never expand it in future ?
Why would Apple not allow that?

Back