PC Peripherals APC 500w BackupUPS restarts my CPU when power goes

namnocilis

Disciple
:(I bought a new APC Backup UPS 500va yesterday and everytime the power goes, the system restarts immediately and then provide the backup.. this is really irritating since it is not serving the actual purpose for which i got the ups ( for safe shutdown )

my cpu config has a phenom 2 x4 940 system, 4GB RAM and 1 TB HDD with 400 watts zebronics smps

i suspect the problem is with the UPS itself.. coz it only happens during powercuts, i don't understand what the problem is..

i have only connect CPU and Internet Adapter in this UPS..

monitor and Speakers are connected to another UPS of same model

i switched plugs and tried with both UPS and still restarts when power goes

i thought 500W UPS was enough for my system.. but now i am thinking if i should go for the 650W APC UPS but before that i need to confirm the problem

pls help :(

namnocilis said:
time for a new one :huh: it is the new one..this UPS is just 1 day old :S

its u the new one..newbie(the new member) i think thats wot he meant ..not the ups...:rofl:
wel come 2 techenclave :hap2:

Thanks sabith..

on the APC UPS Box it is mentioned that

APC 500va / 300watts

does that mean it provides only 300watts during backup and since my PSU is 400watts, it is overloaded? please let me know fast.. so that i might have a chance to return it and get a better one..

pls suggest me some better ups with a decent price and backup..

namnocilis said:
Thanks sabith..

on the APC UPS Box it is mentioned that

APC 500va / 300watts
does that mean it provides only 300watts during backup and since my PSU is 400watts, it is overloaded? please let me know fast.. so that i might have a chance to return it and get a better one..

pls suggest me some better ups with a decent price and backup..
Your PSU is probably the issue, my friend has Intel C2 Q6600+MSI P35+2GB RAM+3HDDs+8800GT+17" CRT connected to APC 500va UPS, backup time is low(3min) but no issue(restarting) like yours.

On the other hand UPS could be faulty too, but APC ups usually have good build quality AFAIK, I'm using one.

BTW did you charge it for 10hrs least before using for 1st time? This is the ultimate UPS rule.

APC 500 would be sufficient. Probably its the PSU or might be just a faulty UPS.

Check the UPS at any friend's house and see if it works dere...:cool2:

Then, u'll know what to change...:p

Do you have any backup power like home inverter or something?
I had same problem. Reason was i got inverter+pc ups.
You can't use both.
Try to check the power supply and make sure at power failure time you have only ups backup and not both ups+inverter.

hem4all said:
Do you have any backup power like home inverter or something?
I had same problem. Reason was i got inverter+pc ups.
You can't use both.
Try to check the power supply and make sure at power failure time you have only ups backup and not both ups+inverter.

i don't have inverter :( and still i am having the problem.. my old system used to work perfect with this UPS.. but the new system is restarting when power goes, i am still searching for a solution to this problem

clown_abhi said:
APC 500 would be sufficient. Probably its the PSU or might be just a faulty UPS.

Check the UPS at any friend's house and see if it works dere...:cool2:

Then, u'll know what to change...:p

Abhi,

What would you suggest for my PC? I am using a Corsair 750W PSU (Running a Q9550)...I am using a Microteck 800VA UPS with dowuble battery (batteries new, changed a month back)...I have a similar problem where my PC restarts whenever there is a power surge and eventually dies unable to power-on...

krishna_chennai said:
Abhi,

What would you suggest for my PC? I am using a Corsair 750W PSU (Running a Q9550)...I am using a Microteck 800VA UPS with dowuble battery (batteries new, changed a month back)...I have a similar problem where my PC restarts whenever there is a power surge and eventually dies unable to power-on...
Most likely this is happening because of incompatibility of some UPS's with active PFC PSU's.You will need a pure sine wave UPS.Check out the sticky in the PC peripherals section regarding this issue for more details.

Ahh, this is the same UPS that caused me hell lot of problems with my Corsair VX450. U can also find a thread i started for the same.

There is some issue with this Microtek UPS due to which when used Active PSU, restarts when power goes. Even Microtek tried their best and finally were unable to rectify the issue. And then they gave me the replacement...
The strange thing was the PSU even worked fine with APC 500VA...:p

Finally, i got the APC 650VA...:eek:hyeah: I think 650VA might not handle the load of ur PC. Better go for the 800VA one from APC or the 1100VA model.

krishna_chennai said:
Abhi,

krishna_chennai said:
Abhi,

Microtek UPS is utter crap, when the AC in my room starts the compressor, most of the time due to surge the microtek 500va ups(used only to power monitor+speakers) either goes offline(even though APC 650va doesn't), or totally switches off, apc no issue at all.

tkin said:
Your PSU is probably the issue, my friend has Intel C2 Q6600+MSI P35+2GB RAM+3HDDs+8800GT+17" CRT connected to APC 500va UPS, backup time is low(3min) but no issue(restarting) like yours.

On the other hand UPS could be faulty too, but APC ups usually have good build quality AFAIK, I'm using one.

BTW did you charge it for 10hrs least before using for 1st time? This is the ultimate UPS rule.

+1 for that
PSU shud be taken as a prime concern i guess

Thanks a lot everybody! The problem got fixed.. i changed my PSU and UPS

( Cooler Master Extreme 500W ) + ( APC 1100Va UPS )

Special thanks to tangentray for his very informative thread on PSU, UPS.. i finally know about PFC, Passive PFC and None PFC PSU.. i chose a None PFC PSU + Non PureSine APC.. that worked out well! thanks a lot..

Crossx said:
sorry to intrude...but will corsair vx450 work with non-sinewave UPS?

Only if you are lucky.... Many users have had problems in the past... Thankfully I did not had any problem..... Touchwood.... :D

Back