Anyone used Gunnar Glasses here, to reduce eye strain ?

avi

Skilled
Lately I have been reading a lots of PDF on my laptop. Sometimes my eyes strain, but not very often. I do not wear spects.

I consulted a doctor recently and he says my eyes are fine. I thought he would suggest me spects, but he didn't. Instead he prescribed me eye drops which I am taking currently.

However I want to take precautionary measures to prevent any future damages.

The tips I have been following currently :
1. Look away from screen for every 20-25 mins
2. Keep brightness moderate : 20-30% while reading
3. Sitting posture & good distance between screen & eyes.

Also, people who wear spects get less eye strain because screen brightness won't be falling on eyes directly ?

Need more tips guys. I found about these glasses online : Gunnar Optiks Eyewear | GUNNAR Optiks- Technology Eyewear | Gaming Glasses, Computer Eyewear, and Premium 3D Eyewear | Gunnars India and also a LifeHacker article : Gunnar Optiks Prescription Eye-Strain Reducing Glasses

Are they any good ? They cost approx 5K :-/ are there any cheaper Indian version ?

and what about anti-glares on lappie screens ? Would they work ? I have Dell XPS 15 which has B+RGLED screen.

Thank you !

These glasses won't help as your eyes are getting dry fast I guess. Try to blink more per minute than you usually do, make it a habit.

I have one GUNNAR...apart from the yellowish tint, they are great for reading and movies and games... not good when I am doing some design work ( cause of the tint), other than that, I find it great and I have no stress in eyes even after hours :)

These glasses won't help as your eyes are getting dry fast I guess. Try to blink more per minute than you usually do, make it a habit.
I will try this, thank you ! But Gunnar's is used to prevent this right ?

I have one GUNNAR...apart from the yellowish tint, they are great for reading and movies and games... not good when I am doing some design work ( cause of the tint), other than that, I find it great and I have no stress in eyes even after hours :)
So they really work :p ? Thanks for your reply. Are there any cheaper Indian versions available ?

one of the advertised functions of gunnars is to prevent eyes from getting dry soon. anyway I was also thinking of getting a gunnar and was not sure.

but many people here and other forums suggested fl.ux (f.lux: software to make your life better) to reduce eye strain. I'm trying it now, seems pretty good.
How to use this ? can you share your settings ?

I will try this, thank you ! But Gunnar's is used to prevent this right ?

No the Gunnar's OR for that matter any spectacle, goggles and eye-care device's main objective is to cut the amount of focussed light that is being directed at your eyes. They are effective only if you practise the basic steps provided to you by the doctor to maintain your eyes.

The other symptom of the problem is our attention system, when using a device like a handset / computer (screen) / laptop we try to avoid blinking, even whilst watching films (especially 3D) you might have realized that at the end of the screening your eyes are generally watery this is because the Ciliary tissue keeps secreting Aqueous Humour but because we have not blinked it starts welling.

You should blink more, this moistens the lens surface, prevents debris and pollutants to accumulate on the Pupil / Lens. This helps to maintain the tissue health and reduce constant exposure based wear-tear of the tissue.

For more on eyes, go through Wikipedia -- Human eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

If you blink enough and follow the good doctor's advice I doubt you should need any external devices like the Gunnar's / contact lenses / spectacles / goggles to maintain your eyes in peak condition.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

P.S. -- All this from a guy who has serious eye problems and does not / cannot consciously follow this very same advice when given to him. =P

<Good advice>

P.S. -- All this from a guy who has serious eye problems and does not / cannot consciously follow this very same advice when given to him. =P
Thing is I was given this advice last year. I tried my best, but couldn't. I was spending more time about thinking about blinking than the actual document. I wasn't able to concentrate much on PDF :-/ Then I gave up. That's why I am looking for alternatives, if exists any.

Thing is I was given this advice last year. I tried my best, but couldn't. I was spending more time about thinking about blinking than the actual document. I wasn't able to concentrate much on PDF :-/ Then I gave up. That's why I am looking for alternatives, if exists any.

I understand it is hard that is why the Post Script at the bottom.

If you cannot follow these verbatim it is best to exercise your eyes and wash them with cold water once in between one to two hours of screen usage that way even if you are not blinking the act of physically getting up will alleviate constant staring at the screen. You will blink a few times and washing the eyes will do the moistening bit.

Honestly Gunnar's are nothing more than aggressively marketed tint. But that is how I view the set-up, maybe that I'm wrong. Cheers!

If you cannot follow these verbatim it is best to exercise your eyes and wash them with cold water once in between one to two hours of screen usage that way even if you are not blinking the act of physically getting up will alleviate constant staring at the screen. You will blink a few times and washing the eyes will do the moistening bit.
I can totally do this :)

any more advices ??

I can totally do this :)

any more advices ??

No, Sire. At tops, if you are really paranoid about going myopic start delving into hobbies like kite-flying.

Oh! And try to turn down the brightness on devices to a point where it is not above ~40% until absolutely required. Cheerio!

Gunnar glasses are heavily marketed to the niche geek crowd, they don't deliver on all that they promise.

And regarding the blinking part, try to make it a habit, it takes practice and is frustrating in the beginning, but after a few weeks you'll be used to it.

I was planning to get a pair but then saw some reviews on YouTube which say they take some getting used to due to the slight magnification. I don't wear glasses (no power) so far wouldn't that Fcuk up my vision?

Guys is it normal to have little eye fatigue & headache after using f.lux for few hours?
I don't think so. try reducing the range of the colour temperature (than being at two extremes) and also slowdown the transition time.

have you enabled and adjusted 'cleartype' settings in the laptop? and also what is your screen size, resolution and dpi % of text size. when I read in my 14" laptop screen it is very uncomfortable but it is much pleasant when I read in my 23" desktop lcd screen in which I have increased the text dpi to 110% and tuned the cleartype settings. and if you are in an air conditioned room, the problem is aggravated as eyes lose moisture sooner. so you have to blink more :p

btw not just gunnars but a lot of curved and large glasses (like aviators) limit airflow to your eyes thereby preventing moisture from escaping easily.

_

I don't think so. try reducing the range of the colour temperature (than being at two extremes) and also slowdown the transition time.

have you enabled and adjusted 'cleartype' settings in the laptop? and also what is your screen size, resolution and dpi % of text size. when I read in my 14" laptop screen it is very uncomfortable but it is much pleasant when I read in my 23" desktop lcd screen in which I have increased the text dpi to 110% and tuned the cleartype settings. and if you are in an air conditioned room, the problem is aggravated as eyes lose moisture sooner. so you have to blink more :p
I have a Hackintosh & use Mountain Lion on my laptop, so I don't think I can have cleartype fonts enabled. However I enabled 'font smoothening for LCD screen'

I have no idea how to check DPI in mac, I will google & find out :p I have 15" laptop with 1080p resolution. How much DPI I should use ?

no, I don't use AC.

btw tubelight is just above the laptop. Where should be the position of it ? I remember reading somewhere that it shouldn't be opposite to screen (and it's reflection shouldn't fall on screen?)

I have a Hackintosh & use Mountain Lion on my laptop, so I don't think I can have cleartype fonts enabled. However I enabled 'font smoothening for LCD screen'

I have no idea how to check DPI in mac, I will google & find out :p I have 15" laptop with 1080p resolution. How much DPI I should use ?

no, I don't use AC.

btw tubelight is just above the laptop. Where should be the position of it ? I remember reading somewhere that it shouldn't be opposite to screen (and it's reflection shouldn't fall on screen?)
'cleartype' function in windows also does similar things, smoothening the text so that it doesnt look so sharp or jagged, adjusts the line thickness and character spacing. anyway just increase the text dpi a bit more so that text in icons and other apps doesn't get weird. but if possible get a bigger monitor to connect to the laptop as you already have fullhd res.

I also had this problem of tubelight being right infront of my face and I was seeing the bright tubelight all the time and sure it caused much eye fatigue. now I changed it to my right side so that it doesn't fall in my peripheral vision. the light should not be either directly in front or back. sides are preferable. and it will be great if you have a window by the side through which you can see distant objects periodically.

a lot of people have eye problems with the light from tubelights (flourescent lights) as the light emitted by them falls more into the blue part of the spectrum - an irritating thing for human eyes. that is why offices are going for indirect lighting. some people who have acute problems even go to the extant of using the old powerful incandescent bulbs as they give full spectrum light just like natural sunlight. and people who can fork a lot of cash get full spectrum lights implemented through warm/neutral led tubelights etc.

_

i was advised by my doc to wear +0.75 prescription glasses when using the computer to reduce eye strain (along with the other things in OP post)

Back