Anyone here using SmartTube for TV

Join a slot of YT Premium Family plan <400 rs/yr, easiest choice. SmartTube had issues: update notifications, occasional streaming errors, casting problems. Now, Dad uses official YouTube app on TV, no more calls for help. Hehe. :)
Not using daily but just on occasional weekends that too may be twice a month or so, so not a viable option wasting 400 bucks tbh. On desktop, browser ext. keeps ads at bay so no issues there at all.

We are part of the same family ;) but the single account I used for the household messed up the watch history, recommendations, subscriptions. Hence I keep SmartTube for the TVs and switched to Premium for personal use.
In family plan you can add 6 google accounts,

but the best part is each google account can have a different n number of separate youtube accounts (channels) tied to same gmail ID, this allows you to have youtube premium on all the youtube accounts under one gmail ID, and you got 6 of this IDs.

Each youtube account will have it's own watch history, recommendations, subscriptions.

Hence, you don't have to use SmartTube if you already got premium in any form, family plan or single.

but the best part is each google account can have a different n number of separate youtube accounts (channels) tied to same gmail ID, this allows you to have youtube premium on all the youtube accounts under one gmail ID, and you got 6 of this IDs.

Each youtube account will have it's own watch history, recommendations, subscriptions.

Hence, you don't have to use SmartTube if you already got premium in any form, family plan or single.
Best is to join a single family account via YT sharing topic.
Create new gmail account, set it on all home devices, there wont be watching restrictions, but you will have to bear with watch history, subscriptions etc.

That is neat. Had only one channel and didn't know it can be selected when viewing as well.

Too bad the account is linked to the device itself when using the official app which implies I cannot add to other's devices now.

Should have kept using the non-personal Gmail ID I was using previously. May be will have to do that next year now.

Right now it has to be SmartTube which at least comes with other benefits like Sponsorblock.

Just an update as you know I'm on beta and current update is working just fine, no ads whatsoever. It was last updated 2 weeks before.

Last edited:
Back