Any one using cheap VPS as seedbox

distro

Adept
There are lot of cheap VPS option nowadays with Chicago vps , ramnode etc etc.

Has anyone got this and using it as a seedbox ?

Any thoughts on how to manage the seedbox without getting booted off from VPS !!
Like number of torrents running and etc etc.

Does location of vps matters while using it as a seedbox ?
Eg Netherlands or Seattle

you need to run the torrent daemon only when you need , so it will fall of from the number of connections chart .
an always on dameon will maintain DHT nodes .
also try to use only private trackers as other agencies will only monitor public trackers and send DMCA notices to your provider .

i once had a simple seedbox where they allowed private trackers only and private use only .

Thanks for the input. With ovh kimsufi out of our reach. These VPS are the only better option available. Chicago vps has recently got bad reviews, just checking around which vpses are people using for seedbox.

I am , on chicagovps , downtime was there but except that it has never gone down . If you remove that week I have 100% uptime . I got it for $40 with updating with their newer cheaper plan , so finally have 3TB bandwidth , 120GB HDD and 2GB RAM . Have tested with 27 torrents on rtorrent . RAM usage spiked but was always manageable/usable . Tell me if you want to anything more technical . I also download my torrents from this VPS . Without no detailed planning or seeding I have already crossed 5.6TB on ipt
@distro
forgot speeds
consistent download speed above 50MB/s
upload speeds around 50MB/s max I have seen , generally runs around 10/20 MB/s

Last edited:
ramnode will kick you out if you run torrents, and avoid US locations for torrents

You can try buyvm or an actual seedbox like KPHservices ?

Chicagovps 3tb is each month or for the full year ? Pls pm me the order details and how to get 3tb since i can see only 2 tb on their website.

Chicago vpses are in US that's my main concern. I was planning like 250 torrents or so to build credits/points.

Thanks for the ramnode input. Must avoid these.

I will look into bluevm too.

ChicagoVPS will not allow Seedboxes, albeit few people suggest using SB for torrents only if you keep a low profile.
Limit the total number of connections, max upload download limit and low number of torrents running
according to a chicagoVPS user.

Of course laylow on chicagovps , no one explicitly allows torrenting but they have no issues .They are aware I am doing it and had sent a pm also stating that torrenting is not allowed . That too when i requested to restore a backup which had got corrupt , that was the only time they even knew that .They are not going to close your account or such .
3TB every month . That plan had come earlier and was cheaper also for $30 . you will have to wait for just drop an email to them . They are quite accommodating
250 torrents are huge but they all will be smallest torrents to get you credits . RAM is 2GB so 250 cannot be run . I have myself run 80 odd torrents for credits and seeding and it was 1.5/8 GB consistent RAM usage .
So decide .
I fully agree with @swatkats you have to keep low profile .
@distro

Thanks for all the input guys. I am running 350 small torrents atm with a seedbox provider. This one costs around 9usd a month. Hence wanted to change over to a vps.

Looks like it will be difficult to run these on a lowend vps ;(

Back