WTB Any of the following BGA CPUs? (And yes I know its BGA :p)

bornlibra23

Disciple
Intel® Core™ i5-8250U ProcessorQ3'1743.40 GHz1.60 GHz6 MB Intel® Smart Cache15 W
Intel® Core™ i5-8350U ProcessorQ3'1743.60 GHz1.70 GHz6 MB Intel® Smart Cache15 W
Intel® Core™ i7-8550U ProcessorQ3'1744.00 GHz1.80 GHz819215 W
Intel® Core™ i7-8650U ProcessorQ3'1744.20 GHz1.90 GHz8 MB Intel® Smart Cache15 W

Yes, they all are.

As a rule, All Intel processors with a suffix that's not E, F, K/KF/KS, S, T/TE, or X/XE are not socketed and not upgradeable.

These soldered-on processors are usually have the suffixes B, G/G1/G4/G7/G4E/G7E/GRE, H/HK/HL/HQ/HX, L, M, P, U/UL, or Y.

Socketed Xeon processors aren't named in the same way and may have G, N, P, S, T, U, Y as the suffix.

There's a single E-suffix 11th gen Celeron processor that's not socketed, it's the 6305E. A few 11th gen Core-series processors are socketed, but with a BGA socket, they're usually seen in NUCs, they have a B or KB suffix.

Socketed mobile processors started being discontinued with the 'invention' of the ultrabook, which came after the original Macbook Air announcement in 2008. By 5th gen (2015), all laptops had non-upgradeable CPUs, apart from boutique high-end gaming/workstation models and they advertise it as having a desktop processor.

edit: Didn't realize this was a WTB post, ha!

To answer your question, the only feasible way to get these kind of processors is to buy someone's dead laptop and hope that the processor still works. Or Aliexpress.

Yes, they all are.

As a rule, All Intel processors with a suffix that's not E, F, K/KF/KS, S, T/TE, or X/XE are not socketed and not upgradeable.

These soldered-on processors are usually have the suffixes B, G/G1/G4/G7/G4E/G7E/GRE, H/HK/HL/HQ/HX, L, M, P, U/UL, or Y.

Socketed Xeon processors aren't named in the same way and may have G, N, P, S, T, U, Y as the suffix.

There's a single E-suffix 11th gen Celeron processor that's not socketed, it's the 6305E. A few 11th gen Core-series processors are socketed, but with a BGA socket, they're usually seen in NUCs, they have a B or KB suffix.

Socketed mobile processors started being discontinued with the 'invention' of the ultrabook, which came after the original Macbook Air announcement in 2008. By 5th gen (2015), all laptops had non-upgradeable CPUs, apart from boutique high-end gaming/workstation models and they advertise it as having a desktop processor.

edit: Didn't realize this was a WTB post, ha!

To answer your question, the only feasible way to get these kind of processors is to buy someone's dead laptop and hope that the processor still works. Or Aliexpress.
A teacher is always a teacher. You seem like one. Am I right?

Yes. I too thought, why an explanation on an ETB post. But thanks for it. It's helpful.
Secondary market in India is too disorganised to be useful.
I am using a Lenovo Yoga 520 14IKB with a 7200U processor. I want to upgrade the CPU for fun.

Yes. I too thought, why an explanation on an ETB post. But thanks for it. It's helpful.
Secondary market in India is too disorganised to be useful.
I am using a Lenovo Yoga 520 14IKB with a 7200U processor. I want to upgrade the CPU for fun.
I don’t think there is enough satisfaction to be achieved in lieu of enduring the pain required to get this processor in India.

Last edited:
I think you're underestimating the skill and equipment required to do a BGA processor replacement. Smaller chips like controllers and bios can be done by hobbyists but something a little complicated like a memory chip takes considerable skill to remove and replace by an experienced technician. I guess anything's possible if you're not afraid of failure:

Back