Any NetGear Nighthawk R7000 users here? Need help with DD-WRT

Just a note to people, do check whether DD WRT/Tomato are stable or not. Cos last time I checked they were not. Just because DD WRT supports it doesn't mean its stable. So do your research, read forums and ask people about stability.

I am using Xvortex's Merlin FW and I am very happy so far. This firmware lacks QoS support, other than that its really good and pretty stable. I have had zero disconnections or reboot issues, since I bought this router. Yes, not even once!

1XMiAve.png

Just a note to people, do check whether DD WRT/Tomato are stable or not. Cos last time I checked they were not. Just because DD WRT supports it doesn't mean its stable. So do your research, read forums and ask people about stability.

I am using Xvortex's Merlin FW and I am very happy so far. This firmware lacks QoS support, other than that its really good and pretty stable. I have had zero disconnections or reboot issues, since I bought this router. Yes, not even once!

Will give this a try then. I know DD-WRT is not that stable , but things are happening even on default firmware.[DOUBLEPOST=1445521016][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, so finally flashed XWRT v378.55_2. Amazing interface. Hope this sorts out the problem. There is no replacement option in Flipkart as I can see in my order page.

Last edited:
I spent a few hours with the r7000 yesterday. I flashed ddwrt Kong from here http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-09-07-15-netgear-r7000

I was getting horrible network performance in the beginning, but then I did the following three things to substantially improve it.

- change region to US. This will allow proper of use of higher channels in 5ghz with vht80. I'm using 149 with vht80 lower lower. This improved 5ghz performance considerably.

-Change act sensitivity to 300 (default 2000) to see instant ~20mbps boost in data throughout.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

-enable implicit & explicit beam forming (not sure about the impact of this one)

Will do proper analysis b/w stock, ddwrt and XMerlin on the weekend and share

Last edited:
On a side note, bricked my r6300v2 yesterday :D Glad to know it can be recovered via USB Serial TTL cable, ordered one last night

On a side note, bricked my r6300v2 yesterday :D Glad to know it can be recovered via USB Serial TTL cable, ordered one last night

I have an R6300V2 as well and would like to use it to connect to my existing network wirelessly. Any tips on how to do it? I have an Asus RT-N66U which i use as my main router and would like to use the Netgear as the secondary router to improve range. I would like to connect the Asus and the Netgear wirelessly. I flashed DD-WRT on the Netgear to make it easier to set up. I read that i have to configure it in client bridge mode for this to work. I did that but still can't connect to the internet on any devices connected to the Netgear router.

I have an R6300V2 as well and would like to use it to connect to my existing network wirelessly. Any tips on how to do it? I have an Asus RT-N66U which i use as my main router and would like to use the Netgear as the secondary router to improve range. I would like to connect the Asus and the Netgear wirelessly. I flashed DD-WRT on the Netgear to make it easier to set up. I read that i have to configure it in client bridge mode for this to work. I did that but still can't connect to the internet on any devices connected to the Netgear router.
You need to run the netgear on repeater bridge mode. No change required in your primary router.

You can run a RB on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or both.

1. Go to basic wireless setting change the mode to RB.
2. Match the WiFi settings to that of the primary router. Make sure everything is the same including channel, extension, encryption, etc
3. Let the primary router manage DHCP
4. Disable firewall on secondary router

Read more here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Do not try WDS, it does not work with new broadcom drivers and you'll end up bricking your device

Have fun!

T
You need to run the netgear on repeater bridge mode. No change required in your primary router.

You can run a RB on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or both.

1. Go to basic wireless setting change the mode to RB.
2. Match the WiFi settings to that of the primary router. Make sure everything is the same including channel, extension, encryption, etc
3. Let the primary router manage DHCP
4. Disable firewall on secondary router

Read more here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Do not try WDS, it does not work with new broadcom drivers and you'll end up bricking your device

Have fun!

Thanks for that. One more question. If i connect the Netgear as a repeater bridge, i can connect the LAN ports to other devices and get internet on them right?

I received my replacement R7000 yesterday and it has been working out fine after some tweaks. No constant connection drops every few seconds like the last unit.

I was still having a few drops on the wired connection occasionally and the connection was showing up as a 100 Mbps connection instead of 1Gbps, but apparently, this router has some issues with certain on board Realtek NICs, so I tried switching to the Intel NIC on my board and wired connection has been working flawlessly since then.

Secondly, my android tablet (Asus TF300) was not latching on to the WiFi all the time when the channel selection was set to auto. I noticed that it would work fine if the channel chosen is below 10, bit if the auto channel selection chooses Channel 12 or 13, the tablet would not see the SSID at all.

Since my TF300 is a US version and these channels are not allowed to be used in US, I made a wild guess that my tablet itself has been prevented from using 12 and 13, so I manually set the channel to 10 on the router and it has been working fine after that.

I received my replacement R7000 yesterday and it has been working out fine after some tweaks. No constant connection drops every few seconds like the last unit.

I was still having a few drops on the wired connection occasionally and the connection was showing up as a 100 Mbps connection instead of 1Gbps, but apparently, this router has some issues with certain on board Realtek NICs, so I tried switching to the Intel NIC on my board and wired connection has been working flawlessly since then.

Secondly, my android tablet (Asus TF300) was not latching on to the WiFi all the time when the channel selection was set to auto. I noticed that it would work fine if the channel chosen is below 10, bit if the auto channel selection chooses Channel 12 or 13, the tablet would not see the SSID at all.

Since my TF300 is a US version and these channels are not allowed to be used in US, I made a wild guess that my tablet itself has been prevented from using 12 and 13, so I manually set the channel to 10 on the router and it has been working fine after that.
What is the update man has it been good? I bought it used unit I hope there is no issues in it

What do I do from start? Don't update it at all or update with specific firmware?

Last edited:
This router can auto upgrade. I myself didn't upgrade manually. I just settled down on a version that was stable.

I suggest trying out the version that your unit comes with first before doing anything else. Its possible that everything is stable out of the box. In my case, I think my first unit was faulty even ignoring the firmware version.

If you really need version specific files. They are here.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#Firmware Version 1.0.4.30

^^ By auto upgrade, I do not mean that the unit to apply the updates automatically. It will automatically check for the updates if an internet connection is available and notify you when a newer version is available. You will still need to give confirmation for it to apply the update. The Router update section also gives the option of manually pointing it to a firmware file an apply it.

btw, if you are interested in using the router for http/torrent downloads, you will need firmware version 1.0.5 +

Back