Storage Solutions Another case of dead wd 1tb hdd

MAGNeT

Skilled
I did bought this disc hardly a month or 2 back...and had taken all my movies Hindi English and games backup on it...

From starting only it used to make noise while trying to access the disc plus used to take 5-6 seconds to view the contents of particular drive..Today i was working on some contents and found wasnt able to copy files to this drive getting some strange error

Than i restarted my computer and suddenly the drive wasn't detected...

It used to show in bios but boot up drive access time went up...

Than i tried r&d to comfort myself and blame the cables but ultimately even that detection too failed

Now want to rma...Not sad to loose movie contents but had made my important passwords related protected file in my important folder even that is lost...

Though i backup-ed password file in my mail a month back but lost other records of bills and shares i bought in digital format

Indeed reliability of wd drive has gone for toss

Its a WD10EADS 64 mb cache one

Now thinking whether to continue the same disc after RMA or get a higher stable disc

Plus please suggest a stable disc of high capacity

Sad to know about the loss. I exactly understand how it feels.

with the high fatality the keyword to tension'less backups is 'RAID'. Well, yes you do spend on it initially. But then in the long run. Nothing like it. Best thing is to setup RAID 5 and let it do its job. If too bothered that even that can die and ultimately ruin everything, take one more individual backup hdd for all important content.

Try sourcing similar hdd like yours and do the pcb swap and try...

Recently I have been suggesting friends of buying "2" hdd's. ie. buy 2 hdd of the same pcb, firmware, etc etc . This helps in such cases when one goes kaput and if you want to do some RND. Needless to say this DIY can kill the other drive as well if not done properly....but then this has a high success rate.

OT: Post no. "3333" :lol:

This is bad :( There has been lots of failure in WD Green 1TB and 1.5TB HDD's. Ppl in forum started recommending WD after the Seagate 7200.11 issues and Seagate's pain in the @$$ RMA service. But now it seems WD drives are going down like they all had swine flu.

So much for WD reliablily :mad: (Worried about my 320GB WD Passport now :( )

OP sorry to bump into your thread.Hope you dont mind :ashamed:

I am planning to get the few WD green for data dumping.After seeing so many HDD's dying which one shall i get.I will be using the drive in New Zealand for the next 1 year.

For WD RMA i have to send the drive all the way to Singapore at my own cost.No door to door RMA like India :(.

Metalspree said:
OP sorry to bump into your thread.Hope you dont mind :ashamed:

I am planning to get the few WD green for data dumping.After seeing so many HDD's dying which one shall i get.I will be using the drive in New Zealand for the next 1 year.

For WD RMA i have to send the drive all the way to Singapore at my own cost.No door to door RMA like India :(.

If you ain't planning to carry them from here then get whatever get drives in NZ which has the best local support there. You plan to carry drives dumped with data from here better get an external drive rather than WD green.

They are built a little sturdier than internal ones IIRC. Little more safety.

Sorry to bump again.

I will be returning to India after 1 year( will be coming in December as well).I am planning to buy the drives in India.The problem with the external drives is they are very bulky and i cannot carry them from here,sothought of getting the internal drives.Luggage allowance to NZ is just 20kgs.How is Seagate or any other brand??.

I do not have time in India to get the HDD's so will be getting them in Singapore.Planning to pick up 3 1TB's as of now.

if you want reliability and price is not a matter, then go for any enterprise storage. your first choice should be seagate baracuda es/es2.0 drives. they carries 5 years warranty from seagate. fortune imports them in india.

or you can go for western digital re3/re4 drives.

Sorry to bump again.

I will be returning to India after 1 year( will be coming in December as well).I am planning to buy the drives in India.The problem with the external drives is they are very bulky and i cannot carry them from here,sothought of getting the internal drives.Luggage allowance to NZ is just 20kgs.How is Seagate or any other brand??.

I do not have time in India to get the HDD's so will be getting them in Singapore.Planning to pick up 3 1TB's as of now.

Get the Seagate 1TB 7200.12. They are quite reliable till date :)

Is this a case with all WD 10EARS models....

It takes a long time to load & for viewing the contents.Got it a week back....can someone point whether I am intending trouble or its just the nature of these drives.

I am already disposing off all my 1.5TB EARS:)...can't risk my collection:)...Have seen 3 EARS go kaput infront of my eyes now...All less than 2 weeks old...

Now I am worried for my 1TB EARS... though its 05 Feb 2010 Model & I am using it as dump through my Vantec Dock... whenever I start it, it buzzes for few moments when motor starts rotating & then it normalizes (no apparent sound)... :down:

Got me scared so much that I am not going to buy any new HDD for next few months... :fear:

LOL! WD fan bois shifting to seagate? :p :rofl: I have always said that seagates are better and will say it again.

Metalspree
Get seagates re. They also provide RMA in Switzerland. 7200.12 in 1TB are the most reliable drives.
I think you can RMA locally bought seagate drives in Switzerland.

Sandy said:
LOL! WD fan bois shifting to seagate? :p :rofl: I have always said that seagates are better and will say it again.

Really... :ashamed: I have 5x Seagate & only one WD but I am a real WD fanboi... :bleh:

2X 1TB 7200.12

1x 500GB 7200.12

1x 320GB 7200.10

2x 250GB 7200.10
I moved to WD 'coz Seagate is giving pathetic warranty & service... :p

Don't take offense though... ;)

Damn this wd toll free number is busy from past 2 hours....

What is the procedure of seagate rma i guess it has become more cumbersome but couldnt find that thread can someone share that link?

From seeing past threads it looks all seagate wd and samsung are suffering with failure...i guess need to get a bigger portable disc(500giga) for important vital data backup...what are the rates of seagates and wd going ...on TE i found it to be around 4.2k wheras on ebay same can be purchased for 3.924k...with 10% coupon...

But again want to know seagate RMA procedure...

Sandy Dude...MetalSpree is goin to NZ:)not SZ

BTW:I think Seagate does provide warranty support in NZ and Australia, So if u take a drive from India then u should be able to get RMA done in Australia which is pretty close

Sandy said:
Metalspree

Get seagates re. They also provide RMA in Switzerland. 7200.12 in 1TB are the most reliable drives.

I think you can RMA locally bought seagate drives in Switzerland.

Sorry ment nz :p
those who are cribbing about seagte rma so far in Bangalore I have had no problems. Rma usually takes 7 to 10 days depending on your drive. They have been really good atleast for me.
some months ago my 640gb wd which I got from our dear and only amarbir went kaput. Wd lamers took 43 days to get me a replacement. as soon as I got that drive back I sold it and replaced it with a 7200.12

Is the issue also with the new 1 TB WDEARS drives that come with 64 mb cache as i am using one from past one month in the dock, till now have not faced any issues.

OT:Wish u could go to SZ ,

@ Sandy you don't even know where i am heading :mad:

Fine i will go with the 7200.12 .Since i dont have time in India will get them in Singapore.Will HDD's in hand luggage create problem with customs :S

Metalspree said:
OT:Wish u could go to SZ ,

Fine i will go with the 7200.12 .Since i dont have time in India will get them in Singapore.Will HDD's in hand luggage create problem with customs :S

Hard disks in hand luggage are not an issue. I have been doing all my international travels with my Hdds(sometimes even 3 of them in my backpack) in my hand luggage to keep them safe. :)

Back