Another Android Dilemma! Pick the best between 20K and 25K.

Vcash

Disciple
Hi TE Folks,
I just ported my CDMA number out to a GSM 3G operator and need to buy a GSM handset by the end of this week at the latest. My ideal budget is Rs. 20K and I can extend to a maximum of Rs. 25K. I am looking for an android phone because of the variety available in the android market place and the tight integration with Google products (I extensively use search, voice, chat, gmail, calendar, contacts etc. both personally and professionally.

I do not want to root the device as even though I have read and seen how awesome phones are running on CM7 and the like, I do not want to take the risk of bricking my phone and neither am I too thrilled about the instability of most custom ROMs (atleast I can yell at Samsung if my WiFi stops working!) So here are my needs:

· Budget: 20K to 25K.

· OS: I prefer HTC Sense, followed by skinless UI (Pure Google) and then Touchwiz. Upgradability to ICS is important.

· Processor: Will prefer a dual core simply because of the added power savings (I understand that Apps are not optimized for dual core yet)

· RAM: 1GB preferred.

· Camera: I have never used a camera on any of my previous camera equipped phones. However, I am carrying my P&S less and less and seeing some good results that friends have with their iPhone 4, I am wondering if I can use this as a primary camera (It sure is convenient!). MP does not mean much. Good optics and a flash would be nice.

· Storage: Would prefer at least 8 GB on board storage.

· Battery: I want to go 8 to 12 hours on a single charge. This is with push gmail \ exchange, Texting, Gtalk always on, using the organizer, RSS feeds, twitter, FB and 3G surfing for about 30 mins in the day. Maybe add about 30 mins of calls. Occasional use of the GPS. No BT \ No Music and No Movies.

· Rooting: The likelihood of me rooting the device is next to none. Maybe post 6 months & 1 year, I could see myself running CM7/9.

· Form factor: This is important. I want to carry the new phone in my pocket like I currently do with my old phone. I really dont understand the point of these mammoth 5"; phones! Should be slim and not too big. Ideally, I would like a 4" device but a paucity of such form factors means I have to go 4.3"; at least. The only redeeming factor here is that, the bezel sizes on the larger screen phones are decreasing so a larger screen does not mean a larger phone.

So after laying such conditions out, I have managed to narrow down the following. The prices mentioned are the best prices I am seeing on LB or Flipkart post any applicable discount (I have a 10% discount coupon on LB with a Rs.2900 cap)

1.Galaxy SII: Rs. 27,000 @ LB: Current favorite. Build quality average, but that's okay. I would probably enshroud it in a Molife or Amzer resin case anyway. Big turn off is Touch wiz but I guess I can use launcher pro or ADW. Upgrade to ICS is a big plus. Honestly, I think I would have bought this device last week on letsbuy when I was getting itfor 25.6K but now with the price increase, I am not sure if I want to spend 2K extra this week just to have the price fall again in the next few weeks. Plus now it's out of my budget.

2. Galaxy R: Rs. 22, 400 @ LB plus free BT headset, screen guard, pouch, etc: This one checks all the marks minus Touch Wiz as well (though can be rectified with LP or ADW as well). Good price too. But what's scary is that Samsung has not confirmed this device for ICS rollout. Also this may be trite but do you get cases / screen guards etc for this device? (So far I have seen an abysmal selection). I really like this device but lack of support makes me wary! Also, I may be the rare exception but when I compared this phone to the S2 at a Croma, I thought that the R had a brighter more vivid display of the two and I would have picked the R over the II for the screen alone!

3. Sensation: Rs. 26,800 @ LB: I would have bought it in a heart beat if the price was a bit lower. Better build quality, nice form factor and Sense UI. But, it has 768 MB Ram and the onboard storage is paltry. And many apps only install on board storage. So this is out for me.

4. Galaxy S Plus: Rs. 19,700 @ LB: pros are 4" screen, Super AMOLED, decent onboard storage. But no ICS and no flash camera is a deal breaker. Plus an extra two and a half grand gets me the R, a technologically superior phone.

5. Razr; Rs. 30,150 @ LB: One of the nicest looking phones out there, but in my opinion overpriced and have heard negative reviews about the screen in the international market.

6. Incredible S \ Desire S - Price Rs. 19k and 21K on LB; I like these phones but they are both a bit old now and that 1GHZ snapdragon processor is a battery drainer. Plus usual HTC RAM and on board storage problems.

7. Galaxy Nexus - Price: TBA. I really like the specs of this phone. And it's pure google which works for me. The only thing is that I am not very sure about the 4.65"; screen. I thought that the SII was the biggest I could go, and this is crossing the border (Literally and figuratively!). Also price could be an issue. Rumors indicate this will be in the 30 to 35K which blows my budget. Also launch date for India is unknown.

8. LG Optimus 2X P990 - Rs. 18000 @ LB: The dark horse and this phone literally checks everything on the list! Spec wise it is golden minus the 512 MB ram but read a few negative reviews regarding battery life. Also, the screen seems a bit less vivid when compared to the Sammy R (Both are LCD's). And the protruding bezel negates the 4" size of the phone and the 4.3" SII feels just as small (big?). But the biggest problem that this phone has is that the LG stock UI is terrible. It felt laggy and slow. I dont't know if installing ADW or LP would help here. Also is the 512MB ram good enough for a dual core device? But the price is mouthwatering. I just wasn't happy while trying it out at Croma - did not feel zippy as Android models from Samsung and HTC.

So now fellow, TE enthusiasts, armed with this knowledge, please help me make a decision from the set above or throw in your own wild card entry.

Also, can anyone indicate the approximate expected price of the Galaxy Nexus and launch date. If it is under 28K (So with my 10% discount; It will be ~25K) and the launch is within the next week, I could probably wait for this device.

Cheers,
V

moksh4u2 said:
i say extend your budget by a bit and go for the SGS2

Like I said earlier, Ideally I want to be around the 20K mark with a max budget of 25K. So further extending it won't be the most prudent move.
comp@ddict said:
I would go for the Optimus 2X.

The price makes it very tempting! But I am really concerned about the battery life, LG UI, problems updating to even 2.3 right now (And god knows when ICS will come through) - But yea, dual core, 8 MP camera, 8GB storage - All of this make for one heck of a deal at 18K.
pinga123 said:
SGS2 and you wont regret btw liked the way to explain your dilemma.
Thanks. I like being descriptive. SGS2 is my favorite as well. And now it's available in white. I really wish it was priced a bit more sensibly - 27K on LB and I would have been all over it!

Currently, the SGS2 is the best Android phone available in India. If you're willing to shell out 25k on a phone and end up not buying the SGS2, you might feel that you should have gone for the top dog which will spoil your experience in the phone you eventually end up with. We all have gear lust. Yes, the SGS2 won't remain on top for long, but it's a good feeling to own the latest and greatest piece of machinery.

The O2X is a good phone and at its current price range, is the best VFM phone IMO. I have personally used it for a couple of hours, and I somehow don't agree with reviews saying that its display is not very good. For an LCD screen, it has pretty vivid colours and good contrast. Also, do not forget that it has a Tegra 2 processor, which means that it plays the best games (graphics wise) available on Android. Something which the other dual core processor phones cannot boast of (yes, I'm aware that there are certain hacks which enable playing of these games on the other dual core monsters too). If you're not afraid of modding, the O2X has official CM7 support and will almost certainly get CM9.

I have used LG O2x for 6 months before getting SGS2 this month.. Now the phone is with my wife. Had HTC legend for a year before getting o2x. Commenting on phones/manufacturers that I've used

Vcash said:
1.Galaxy SII: Rs. 27,000 @ LB: Current favorite. Build quality average, but that's okay. I would probably enshroud it in a Molife or Amzer resin case anyway. Big turn off is Touch wiz but I guess I can use launcher pro or ADW. Upgrade to ICS is a big plus. Honestly, I think I would have bought this device last week on letsbuy when I was getting itfor 25.6K but now with the price increase, I am not sure if I want to spend 2K extra this week just to have the price fall again in the next few weeks. Plus now it's out of my budget.

Got this from Sulekha for 25k.. Good phone, though to be honest not a quantum leap from o2x. 20-30% better maybe from my experience.

+ves: Big and bright screen, deep blacks, hardly notice in pocket - weightless, pretty good camera
-ves: Like many before - plasticky,screen flickers when background is white, feels cheaper than O2x, one hand operation is difficult.

Vcash said:
3. Sensation: Rs. 26,800 @ LB: I would have bought it in a heart beat if the price was a bit lower. Better build quality, nice form factor and Sense UI. But, it has 768 MB Ram and the onboard storage is paltry. And many apps only install on board storage. So this is out for me.
-ves: Death grip which people have complained, storage space, battery backup - which seems to be a common problem with all HTC phones

Vcash said:
8. LG Optimus 2X P990 - Rs. 18000 @ LB: The dark horse and this phone literally checks everything on the list! Spec wise it is golden minus the 512 MB ram but read a few negative reviews regarding battery life. Also, the screen seems a bit less vivid when compared to the Sammy R (Both are LCD's). And the protruding bezel negates the 4" size of the phone and the 4.3" SII feels just as small (big?). But the biggest problem that this phone has is that the LG stock UI is terrible. It felt laggy and slow. I dont't know if installing ADW or LP would help here. Also is the 512MB ram good enough for a dual core device? But the price is mouthwatering. I just wasn't happy while trying it out at Croma - did not feel zippy as Android models from Samsung and HTC.

+ves: Solid phone, good LCD screen, pretty good performance, now finally with gingerbread, decent battery (would get you through the work day easily), ICS confirmed (though not sure about timelines considering the time LG took for GB update)
-ves: Camera not so great, not as slick as S2 - RAM is just sufficient.

So..if you can get the S2 for 25-26k, it'd be the best.. Get O2x otherwise, the stock LG UI is alright, install LP or Go Launcher if no plans to root..

junk_qwe said:
Got this from Sulekha for 25k.. Good phone, though to be honest not a quantum leap from o2x. 20-30% better maybe from my experience.
+ves: Solid phone, good LCD screen, pretty good performance, now finally with gingerbread, decent battery (would get you through the work day easily), ICS confirmed (though not sure about timelines considering the time LG took for GB update)
-ves: Camera not so great, not as slick as S2 - RAM is just sufficient.

So..if you can get the S2 for 25-26k, it'd be the best.. Get O2x otherwise, the stock LG UI is alright, install LP or Go Launcher if no plans to root..

Great perspective. Thanks!

Honestly, I can't get myself to spend 9K over the Optimus for the SII for a 20% to 30% improvement.

I am now leaning towards the Optimus 2x. Is the Gingerbread OTA update available in India. Was reading reviews where people were having difficulty in updating. Does gtalk \ google voice work on the Optimus 2X and with LP \ ADW etc. will I see smoother transitions and less lag than the stock UI once on 2.3?
comp@ddict said:
^^^ CM9 will bring ICS onboard.

Thanks. But I am not too keen on rooting.
pageisgod85 said:
Currently, the SGS2 is the best Android phone available in India. If you're willing to shell out 25k on a phone and end up not buying the SGS2, you might feel that you should have gone for the top dog which will spoil your experience in the phone you eventually end up with. We all have gear lust. Yes, the SGS2 won't remain on top for long, but it's a good feeling to own the latest and greatest piece of machinery.

The O2X is a good phone and at its current price range, is the best VFM phone IMO. I have personally used it for a couple of hours, and I somehow don't agree with reviews saying that its display is not very good. For an LCD screen, it has pretty vivid colours and good contrast. Also, do not forget that it has a Tegra 2 processor, which means that it plays the best games (graphics wise) available on Android. Something which the other dual core processor phones cannot boast of (yes, I'm aware that there are certain hacks which enable playing of these games on the other dual core monsters too). If you're not afraid of modding, the O2X has official CM7 support and will almost certainly get CM9.

I realize this. However, like I said 25K is the maximum I can afford. I'd rather spend around 20K. While the SII is also my first choice, it is beyond my budget as of not.
As a complete wild card entry, what do you think of the Nexus S. I know it's single core and almost a year old and hardware wise it is < than the Optimus 2X but the fact that it will be the first phone to get ICS post Galaxy Nexus and the lightness of the ROM means that performance should be better than the 2X? I can potentially get one of Adixmart on ebay for 19,750 (Post HDFC Mastercard discount) with one year warranty.

@op I also feel that in android ram is not as important as the soc. Anyway android was always designed to run single foreground app plus notifications. So anything with 512 mb and above combined with a decent processor should be good enough. Also considering your usage sensation won't last 8 hours.

I do not understand why you guys are so worried about build quality of GS2?

It has many faults but it is as well made as any htc metal slab.

I am a pretty rough user, using this phone for 3 months with ZERO scratch or dent.

Sent from Galaxy S2

The Nexus S is a good choice, but with the O2X retailing at the same price currently it doesn't make much sense anymore. ICS will bring hardware acceleration and make better use of dual core processors, something which earlier versions of Android did not do. So I feel that the O2X would be faster than the Nexus S even with the LG overlay. Also, who knows whether LG will choose to go for extra skinning or simply release a vanilla version of ICS for their phones. It does make more sense (no pun intended) for them to do the latter since it will help reduce costs of development. Now that ICS has been officially announced for most LG phones released this year, the O2X is a very very enticing phone indeed.

I know this is OT, but the prices you guys are quoting on LB and what I can see is different. For example, Sensation is listed for Rs. 29,799 and you quoted 26.8k. Is there any coupon or something? Thanks.

Vcash said:
Great perspective. Thanks!

Honestly, I can't get myself to spend 9K over the Optimus for the SII for a 20% to 30% improvement.

I am now leaning towards the Optimus 2x. Is the Gingerbread OTA update available in India. Was reading reviews where people were having difficulty in updating. Does gtalk \ google voice work on the Optimus 2X and with LP \ ADW etc. will I see smoother transitions and less lag than the stock UI once on 2.3?

Yes.. You can update using LG's PC Suite.. I was using Modaco custom ROM, updated to Froyo Stock LG build before giving the phone to wife using LG PC Suite 3 weeks back.. Then after a week or so, gingerbread was out and updated that as well.. No major issues after GB except that had to hard reset the phone using power + volume down to boot after which its working smooth..

LP/ADW is just a launcher and all the apps work well after using those.. The stock UI on 2.3 is good enough, not laggy but not as snappy as SGS2.. And ICS has been confirmed for G2X, so kind of future proofing as well..

aka911 said:
@op I also feel that in android ram is not as important as the soc. Anyway android was always designed to run single foreground app plus notifications. So anything with 512 mb and above combined with a decent processor should be good enough. Also considering your usage sensation won't last 8 hours.

Good to know! Thanks!
red dragon said:
I do not understand why you guys are so worried about build quality of GS2?
It has many faults but it is as well made as any htc metal slab.
I am a pretty rough user, using this phone for 3 months with ZERO scratch or dent.

Sent from Galaxy S2

I actually think the S2 is fairly okay when it comes to build quality. No major complaints from me.
pageisgod85 said:
The Nexus S is a good choice, but with the O2X retailing at the same price currently it doesn't make much sense anymore. ICS will bring hardware acceleration and make better use of dual core processors, something which earlier versions of Android did not do. So I feel that the O2X would be faster than the Nexus S even with the LG overlay. Also, who knows whether LG will choose to go for extra skinning or simply release a vanilla version of ICS for their phones. It does make more sense (no pun intended) for them to do the latter since it will help reduce costs of development. Now that ICS has been officially announced for most LG phones released this year, the O2X is a very very enticing phone indeed.

You make a fair point. I'll live with 2.3 till 4.0 comes out on the 2X. I guess it won't be that bad. I was on iOS 4.X on my ipad 2 for almost 5 months till 5.0 came out.
prateekm said:
I know this is OT, but the prices you guys are quoting on LB and what I can see is different. For example, Sensation is listed for Rs. 29,799 and you quoted 26.8k. Is there any coupon or something? Thanks.

Prateek - I have a 10% cash back coupon with a 2990 limit. That's why I am quoting lower prices. And this is a one time use only coupon.
junk_qwe said:
Yes.. You can update using LG's PC Suite.. I was using Modaco custom ROM, updated to Froyo Stock LG build before giving the phone to wife using LG PC Suite 3 weeks back.. Then after a week or so, gingerbread was out and updated that as well.. No major issues after GB except that had to hard reset the phone using power + volume down to boot after which its working smooth..

LP/ADW is just a launcher and all the apps work well after using those.. The stock UI on 2.3 is good enough, not laggy but not as snappy as SGS2.. And ICS has been confirmed for G2X, so kind of future proofing as well..

And order placed! O2x P990 with screen guard and Amzer crystal hard case has been bought for Rs. 18,423!

Frankly, I think it will be more than adequate for my needs and some point if I get the root bug CM7 / CM9 it is. How is Modaco btw? Stable?

Thanks for all your inputs and I'll put up a short review once I get the phone.

Cheers,
V

My Vote goes to Samsung Galaxy S II. I personally don't possess one but have used it. Also jus be a lil patient and keep on checking online. You will certainly get this close to 25k. I have seen this around 25 very often on various sites. Last I know was that Yebhi was selling it at around 25.6k jus around 2 days back.

Vcash said:
And order placed! O2x P990 with screen guard and Amzer crystal hard case has been bought for Rs. 18,423!

Frankly, I think it will be more than adequate for my needs and some point if I get the root bug CM7 / CM9 it is. How is Modaco btw? Stable?

Thanks for all your inputs and I'll put up a short review once I get the phone.

Cheers,
V

Congrats.. Good deal there.. Modaco is pretty stable.. I had used the Froyo build (FR19), not the GB one.. CM7 didn't work for me mainly because of lack of FM (listen to it while riding to office) and GPS was an issue always..

abhishektib said:
My Vote goes to Samsung Galaxy S II. I personally don't possess one but have used it. Also jus be a lil patient and keep on checking online. You will certainly get this close to 25k. I have seen this around 25 very often on various sites. Last I know was that Yebhi was selling it at around 25.6k jus around 2 days back.

Yebhi.com has not had it at that price for a few weeks. Been checking. Anyway, O2x ordered.
junk_qwe said:
Congrats.. Good deal there.. Modaco is pretty stable.. I had used the Froyo build (FR19), not the GB one.. CM7 didn't work for me mainly because of lack of FM (listen to it while riding to office) and GPS was an issue always..

Cool, will probably bother you when I get the itch to root. Cheers.
comp@ddict said:
Great purchase. Have fun!

Thanks!

Back