Android vs iOS

Hello guys,

I am new to the mobile phone world. I recently purchased an LG Nexus 4 and it will be arriving tomorrow.

Now, many of my friends were telling me that I made a mistake going for an Android phone instead of an iPhone. So, we got into a discussion and the only refute I could come up with was that the Nexus 4 is considerably cheaper the the iPhone.

I know that for a fact that the Android OS is more flexible than the iOS. But, I do not know why or how?

I'd love if you guys could elaborate on some advantages of the Android vs the iOS. It could be an application, it could be a modification, anything at all that is available on the Android but not on the iPhone. Even usability costs, application costs are valid reasons.

In contrast, it'd be fun if proponents of the iPhone could elaborate on reasons about why I would have been better off going for an iPhone.

Thanks.

Hello guys,

I am new to the mobile phone world. I recently purchased an LG Nexus 4 and it will be arriving tomorrow.

Now, many of my 'friends' were telling me that I made a mistake going for an Android phone instead of an iPhone. So, we got into a discussion and the only refute I could come up with was that the Nexus 4 is considerably cheaper the the iPhone.

I know that for a fact that the Android OS is more flexible than the iOS. But, I do not know why or how?

Okay lets start with PRO's of the iOS (that I have noted using an iPad 2 / iPad 3) --
  • Very clean layout
  • Consistently smooth
  • Application quality is also on the whole much better, biggest examples of That I can give off the hat -- Fruit Ninja and Cut the Rope
  • Easy to understand (speculative, as I have seen people use Android with similar fluency after a break-even period) but on the first go it is like Pepsi / Coke spot tests, it can swing wildly

PRO's of Android OS (Using a Nexus7 and SONY XPERIA go) --
  • Price -- Big plus, because it is open source.
  • Smooth for the most part, with Jelly Bean being the smoothest iteration to date (compared to an iPad 3, the Nexus7 felt just as good and responsive). For day-to-day tasks my go (with official ICS) also performs well.
  • Application integration, like it has been mentioned in the Gizmodo talk, really easy to share whatever you want and more-over exactly how you want.
  • Infinitely customisable -- Buy / download a theme, icon pack, widget creator / editor, change launchers and this is without rooting. Root and change your phone into whatever you want.
  • ROOT THE DEVICES -- without loosing warranty and the option to rollback any changes.
  • Throw whichever file-format you want at it and the device will throw it back, not so simple for iOS.
There is plenty that can be said in the CON's department but we are not going there, just reverse whatever PRO's have been listed for the respective OS's and you have the general outlines of the weaknesses of each platform.

And unless you live in Delhi, you did excellent by purchasing a Nexus device, may it serve you well. Cheers!

@ALPHA17 Thanks a lot. That is quite a comprehensive reply (just what I am looking for).

You spoke about rooting the device. I understand that rooting the device gives you the following advantages:
- Speed
- Custom ROMs
- Customization

I know that you can use applications like Titanium Backup too. Are there any advantages that I am missing out on?

And, out of curiosity, why wouldn't a Nexus serve me well in Delhi? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be happy with whatever you have bought (since you already made the purchase) and do not go looking for comparisons and issues with your or the competitive system. Just enjoy your phone. There are lot better things to do rather than worrying over a piece of technology.
@ALPHA17
Delhi and Nexus 4, did not get the link :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
You spoke about rooting the device. I understand that rooting the device gives you the following advantages:
- Speed
- Custom ROMs
- Customization

I know that you can use applications like Titanium Backup too. Are there any advantages that I am missing out on?

^^ Speed depends, a poor root, improperly supported piece of code will do more harm than good.

But that is why you have the XDA Developers Forum, head there to see the stuff they are doing to support your device. And this being a Nexus, expect support. A ton of support.

Titanium Backup Pro is to keep safe all your data in-case you regularly jump ROM's. It comes handy like a standard backup application too. My method is more mundane, keep a copy of your phone-data on your PC and your external drive. And sync contacts with the provided applications for PC.

Hope this helps, Cheers!
Delhi and Nexus 4, did not get the link :confused:

Its a Delhi thing, if you want to be someone in the socially 'IN' crowd, a Nexus4 is not going to cut it.

You need a SAMSUNG S III OR HTC One X OR the mother-lode itself an i'device'.

It's only here where I have seen completely normal people go off the rails because they wanted to be in with 'the crowd'. =|

And completely support your line of thought be happy with what you have and make the most out of it, rather than looking for caveats in it.

He mentions his friends in the first post that is why I said so. =P

I found a solution to this long back. If you bought an Android then it is better than iOS and if you bought an iPhone it is definitely better than any droid.

Both devices are excellent and since you got the most desired phone in the world - Nexus 4, you should be more than happy with it.

Also you can tell them iPhone is too common blah blah etc and you there are restrictions in iOS which bother you. Both iOS and Android are good OSes. What you should try to do is respect your friends choice of iOS and help them understand and in return respect the capabilities of Android.

Its a Delhi thing, if you want to be someone in the socially 'IN' crowd, a Nexus4 is not going to cut it.

You need a SAMSUNG S III OR HTC One X OR the mother-lode itself an i'device'.

It's only here where I have seen completely normal people go off the rails because they wanted to be in with 'the crowd'. =|

And completely support your line of thought be happy with what you have and make the most out of it, rather than looking for caveats in it.

He mentions his friends in the first post that is why I said so. =P

Yeah got your point it's like we are convincing "iphone girls" :lol: for android and vice versa !!

Why won't you start with googling for something called Tasker?

Apple is all for aesthetics, smoothness and ease of operation and cosmetics.
Google is all about functionality.
And both are justified in their points of view.

Most games definitely run better on iDevices than on Android.
Battery life is usually better in iPhones although with loads of tweaking you can get more juice out of Android but that usually means turning off a lot of functionality.

Other than these two Android fares better in most aspects.

And meanwhile, #ALPHA17 is spot on about the typical Delhi crowd.
I have seen Android flagships and iPhones being carried by people who won't know anything other than Call, Msg, Camera and FB

Back