CPU/Mobo AMD X2 4800+ doing 100 C while Editing HD

Reghu

Recruit
Hi, this is my first post in tech enclave.

My CPU AMD X2 4800+ gets overheated as soon as I put some video to render in any of the Editing software[Vegas,Preme,After Affects]. As it reaches 110C [Asus PC Probe] the system switches off.
Spec of my system is Asus M2N SLI(AM2). 4 Gb DDR2 Ram, 250 GB HDD, 2* 500 GB HDD, 8600GT GPU.
I did some research on net and most of them say it could be coz of the thermal paste.
If its so what brand should I buy?

Or Should I go for an upgrade for CPU ie a Phenom X4. Asus says Phenom X4 will run on my mobo at HT 1. Is that worth the upgrade?

Just go with :-

Athlon II X3 440= 3.5k (unlocked to a quad and overclocked is almost on par in performance with the Phenom II X4 965 which costs twice that.)

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H ddr2 = 4.1k

Are you planning on upgrading because you're unhappy with your systems performance, or disappointed because it's overheating?
Before you ask if you upgrade let us know what you use your computer for, so we can better advise you.

Now, as to why it's overheating :
Open your cabinet and check for any dust build-up.
Where is your cabinet situated right now?
How many fans do you have in your cabinet?
What are your cpu/gpu/system temps when idle?
What speed is your cpu fan running at?
Does your computer shut down in any other situations?
If you don't already have a system monitoring utility installed, download this: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

@iamddevil

Sorry for being ambiguous:ashamed:

I want to upgrade mainly due to this issue.
I mainly use my computer for Editing and occasional gaming (COD series).
In the near future I will be doing some heavy duty HD editing. I am not sure how my system will perform then and I wont be having the time once I start editing to do an upgrade.

And also I don't have a big budget and I dont mind overclocking :)

Open your cabinet and check for any dust build-up.

Ans : My cabinet is always open. ;) Not much dust in it.

Where is your cabinet situated right now?

Ans: Next to the monitor, open side of the cabinet facing away from monitor.

How many fans do you have in your cabinet?

Ans: 1

What are your cpu/gpu/system temps when idle?

Ans : Mobo 34C ,CPU 35-45C . I haven't checked my GPU temp for quite some time.But when I touched it when the system shut down it was running cool.

What speed is your cpu fan running at?

Ans: Its running somewhere bw 3000rpm to 4000rpm

Does your computer shut down in any other situations?

Ans: Yep,when I play games some times it shuts down.

@rahulyo
Cant i use Athlon II X3 440 in my existing mobo. Wont that give any performance increase?

I had the same cpu and i also overclocked it to 3.0 GHz and the temps never crossed 60*C. Firstly check the cpu and thermal paste ....If not Happy Then go for upgrade (,I also did that only)....Here Config.

CPU-AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1GHz
MB-Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H

Making around 7K

Was there any considerable improvement when you OC 4800+?
If i run AMD Athlon II X3 at HT 1 in my exsisting mobo will it provide any performance increase?

@reghu

Performance was improved and cpu did a very good job at OC speed.

I would consider to get new Cpu and MB.Making a perfect match and new compatible AM3 socket.

It is excellent overclocker.... Athlon-II X3-445 can be OCed to 3.9GHz when cooled using the Scythe Mugen II CPU ...

In respect to your work not much performance change.

I think you should take out your cpu fan, and clean the heatsink.
If that doesn't solve matters, reapply the thermal paste.

I doubt your temps of 100 degrees are correct, cos the CPU would throttle, and the system would shut down by the time your temps reached 75 degrees, so it's possible the thermal sensor on your motherboard or cpu is faulty.
Check the settings in your bios, see what temps it's programmed to shut down at.

Upgrade the CPU to PII X4 945 for 6.5k. You will surelly have great performance boost over current proccy.

And if it still shows overheating issue, then mobo sensor is faulty. Get a cheap yet good 785G mobo like Biostar TA785GE for 3.2k.

Remove & clean the CPU heatsink & then use a good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.

U need to add atleast one more fan on the front of the Cabinet. The front fan pulls the air into the cabinet & the rear fan pushes the air outside the cabinet.

:)

rahulyo said:
Do as nehaladsul say but instead of Arctic Silver 5 use MX2.

Is the Arctic MX2 better than Arctic Silver 5??

Asking coz I have been using the Silver 5 all along whereas the MX2 is cheaper than the Silver 5 by about 70 rupees..... :mad:

Arctic Silver 5 costs Rs.420/- as against the Arctic MX2 which costs Rs.350/- :(

Highly doubt its an issue with thermal paste. Thermal paste will not magically drop temps from 100C to the regular 60C.

Have these high temps always been reported from the time you first bought it? If so it could indicate a malfunction with the temp sensor probe.

Else, open your side-panel and check if your CPU's Heatsink fan is spinning.

Also check if the heatsink is seated firmly.

Since you mention you plan to do a lot of HD encoding/editing, an upgrade would definitely be welcome.

Back