CPU/Mobo AMD PileDriver Discussion thread

kartikoli

Skilled
AMD's Next Gen. Korona Discussion Thread

AMD's Next Gen. Korona High-End Desktop Platform to Fuse Processor with Northbridge

AMD's next generation high-end desktop platform codenamed "Korona", will fuse the processor silicon with the northbridge. Currently, the "Scorpius" platform which is partially launched, follows the slightly older platform layout of a processor with IMC, and a 2-chip chipset. The PCI-Express root complex is still in the chipset. Scorpius includes upcoming FX Series "Zambezi" processors, and AMD 9-series desktop chipset, with AM3+ socket. AMD has a parallel platform that caters to value-thru-mainstream segments, the "Lynx" platform, which has already transitioned to the 2-chip model in which the APU chip packs processor cores, an IMC, a PCI-Express root complex, and a GPU.

Korona platform, due for 2012, will consist of a new CPU architecture called "Piledriver", that succeeds the yet to be released "Bulldozer". Nothing else is known about Piledriver, except that the first high-end CPUs based on it will be codenamed "Komodo", and will pack 10 cores. Since this is a major platform layout rearrangement, Korona will introduce a new socket called FM2, it is quite logical to assume that the new socket will be incompatible with AM3+.
Korona combines Komodo CPUs with Hudson D4 Fusion Controller Hub (FCH), which is just a glorified southbridge, much like the A75 chipset and Intel's Platform Controller Hub (PCH). The Hudson D4 packs no less than 8 SATA 6 Gb/s ports with RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support; an integrated USB 3.0 controller with 4 ports, and 10 USB 2.0 ports.
Given the particulars of this platform, we speculate that Komodo will be designed to be competitive with Intel's Ivy Bridge LGA1155 processors, or maybe even Sandy Bridge-E, if only we know the number of DDR3 memory channels Komodo will have. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't wait for Zambezi, "2012" is a vague date. For all you know, Korona could even be released by the very end of 2012.
Source : AMD's Next Gen. Korona High-End Desktop Platform to Fuse Processor with Northbridge | techPowerUp

Re: AMD's Next Gen. Korona Discussion Thread

You should have waited at least till Bulldozer launched before starting this thread.

If AMD cant wait then why should i :D

anyway Bulldozer future doesn't look bright but i would wait for other geeks to comment before making any decision

looks like i have to delay my upgrade which wasnt on the cards so soon ... happy with my unlocked Quad

anyone fascinated with AMD's naming scheme for the new models?i mean BULLDOZER and then PILEDRIVER,it sounds very demolishing but not performance wise though.(lol) anyways with so much going on with AMD,i am wondering what new tech intel is building(not that it doesn't build much new tech but it's future glam plans haven't been in the limelight lately.)

Yea its also funny when you think a bulldozer cant take care of a sandy bridge :p I wonder if intel did it on purpose to rub bulldozer fail more into amd's faces.\

This new socket ..... well dunno what to expect from it till we see how bulldozer performs also with most of the information out there unlikely to be reliable imo this thread might be a little early to be meaningful.

^^dude incase u forgot BD is not out yet. we do not even have a single solid benchmark for bd vs sandy. how then are you making the assumption bd is worse than sandy?

Zloyd said:
Yea its also funny when you think a bulldozer cant take care of a sandy bridge :p I wonder if intel did it on purpose to rub bulldozer fail more into amd's faces.\

This new socket ..... well dunno what to expect from it till we see how bulldozer performs also with most of the information out there unlikely to be reliable imo this thread might be a little early to be meaningful.

Until and unless samples and reviews are out, I won't make claims like you did. Sandy Bridge is great but making premonitions about bulldozer isn't fair. The delay was made to enhance the overclocking and performance issue.

So until and unless the samples are out I won't make any hasty comments like yours.

I think the names are funny .... and the engineers are having a little go at each other .... its either intel built a sandy bridge and amd bulldozed it out or amd built a bulldozer thats helpless against a sandybridge.

Bulldozer has released and got mixed review or people can say that it didn't meet the expectation set by the hype it created.

Now the next stop is Piledriver from AMD camp.
I am not a Extreme Tech guy I just try to learn thing from net and forums... Its my passion and hobby. So whatever I write here is found from google search or some Tech sites.

I am starting this thread to discuss the next line of processor from AMD.

"Piledriver" is the codename of AMD's processor micro-architecture that succeeds "Bulldozer", which AMD is referring to as a "2nd Generation Bulldozer". Piledriver isn't an evolution over Bulldozer as such,and is more of a incremental update to the architecture.

Piledriver features an improved core design to bring about performance improvements of 10% over Bulldozer. It features two new instruction sets: FMA3 (Fast Memory Access 3) and Converged BMI (Branch if MInus). It will feature an improved IOMMU (memory mapping unit), referred to as IOMMU v2. Apart from these, Piledriver will fit into the existing ecosystem of AMD FX Processors, consisting of socket AM3+ and AMD 9-series chipsets. AMD is currently referring to the platform Piledriver-based processors will form around themselves as "FX Next".
Source Link as requested:

AMD Piledriver to Boost Performance by 10%, Feature New Instruction Set | techPowerUp
Mods please tell me if anything wrong. I am just alearner and this is my first thread.

Bulldozer will gain ~10-15% clock speeds as the 32nm process improves ( as was originally targeted ->30% over Phenom II ). Bulldozer will also gain when compatible software is available that fully utilizes the two integer cores in the module. Moreover there is a supposed cache invalidation bug that requires newer kernels that have been patched to fix this.

Piledriver, when it releases six months later , should have these fixes. Whether Windows 7 will get a patch remains to be seen.

But these are flaws in Bulldozer, and not improvements in the architecture per se. Bulldozer was delayed primarily because the higher clock targets could not be met on 32nm GloFo. Why AMD chose not to go for another stepping and let this continue is still a mystery. Hopefully they were working on Piledriver, and they have better plans for it.

Piledriver should atleast, in my opinion, hit +15-25% performance on a cost-to-cost basis (and not clock-for-clock) over Bulldozer, which will probably bring it up to SNB levels. Now it seems more like wishful thinking, but this is vital otherwise AMD are in a big pile of mud with the Intel Tick-Tock in their ears. However I doubt it will be able to match SNB in terms of power efficiency/IPC. Moreover, Intel will be set with Ivy Bridge (IVB) by the time Piledriver comes out, which will only further the gap.

AMD's only hope remains in the budget segment with the Fusion architecture. But with IVB having atleast 50% more powerful GPU, the advantage there also seems to be diminishing.

If I had to place my bets, I would choose IVB over Trinity given the sorry state of the Bulldozer core. Lets hope I lose this one.

As per AMD they will come with processor with 10 - 15 % increase in performance from their respective predescr hence the future for Bulldozer architecture is bright, in the long run we can expect that AMD will definately be in the winning position....

pile driver the next big thing from amd???????????????:rofl:

guess its time for amd to create the hype for piledriver just as they did for Bulldozer.wonder if its gonna end in the same way,and now all the talk that amd gonna work out some patch so there a Bulldozer performance increase i doubt that they made us to wait for so long and didnt fix anything what makes youll think that they gonna do a better job this time.Just cant express how dissapointed am with bulldozer,all the hype the never ending wait and then you come to know it doesnt even peform better than i5 2500k seriously wtf:mad:.

Just dont have anymore patience to wait for pildriver.really doubt its gonna change much

hope am wrong for amd sake.but really bulldozer just not worth the wait for so long should have gone with snb long time ago:mad:

Waiting for a product is totally our own decision companies do what they want to do...

Waiting for a product in computer is forever...

Also........

Making new processor is their business and no company deliberately make a product to fail....

If you toss a coin it can fall any side.... Its heads or tail.... So if any product is launched it may or may not work the way we want it to.....

^^^Waiting for a product is totally our own decision companies do what they want to do...

i agree its our decision.which i guess in my case atleast was a bad choice cause it wasnt worth the wait at all

Waiting for a product in computer is forever...

it doesnt have to be forever ok it felt like forever cause they constantly postponed the release date i think atleast 3 times say they are trying to sort the issues of bulldozer and then gave a very dissapointing product after the wait:mad:

Making new processor is their business and no company deliberately make a product to fail....

it might be their buisness but after so much HYPE you expect it to be atleast better then the 2500k forget beating the 2600k

Guys Bulldozer has done a great job for a new architecture from AMD[A company 10x smaller than intel].

Also all of you who are disappointed in Bulldozer > I dont understand why -

1. Multicore performance is very good. (Beats 2600K in lots of multithreaded apps.)

2. Turbo technology is much better than Thuban.

3. Great Clocks.

Also apps & OS are not tuned to use BD.. what do u expect??

And really for the amount of hardware it has vs 2600K ill say performance is very very good.

Only IPC & Single threaded performance is lack lustre but with piledriver 2-5% increase in performance from better IPC + even higher clocks, Single core performance will improve.

^ Sahil, thanks for making this a sticky.

Tao said:
Bulldozer will gain ~10-15% clock speeds as the 32nm process improves ( as was originally targeted ->30% over Phenom II ). Bulldozer will also gain when compatible software is available that fully utilizes the two integer cores in the module. Moreover there is a supposed cache invalidation bug that requires newer kernels that have been patched to fix this.

Piledriver, when it releases six months later , should have these fixes. Whether Windows 7 will get a patch remains to be seen.

No idea on the bug, but there seems to be a rumour that some1 is going to write a patch to make the OS aware of 8C/4module ~ :confusing: architecture. But its a rumour, and seems to me as if BD is not going to be the CPU we need. Might be E-BD. But then.....

Tao said:
But these are flaws in Bulldozer, and not improvements in the architecture per se. Bulldozer was delayed primarily because the higher clock targets could not be met on 32nm GloFo. Why AMD chose not to go for another stepping and let this continue is still a mystery. Hopefully they were working on Piledriver, and they have better plans for it.

Yup, they already went thru 2 steppings, could have gone thru one more. Maybe AMD realised that GloFo was not meeting their demands, so they are making a shit to TSMC.

Tao said:
Piledriver should atleast, in my opinion, hit +15-25% performance on a cost-to-cost basis (and not clock-for-clock) over Bulldozer, which will probably bring it up to SNB levels. Now it seems more like wishful thinking, but this is vital otherwise AMD are in a big pile of mud with the Intel Tick-Tock in their ears. However I doubt it will be able to match SNB in terms of power efficiency/IPC. Moreover, Intel will be set with Ivy Bridge (IVB) by the time Piledriver comes out, which will only further the gap.

Its wishful thinking, but then we have to hope that it does match intel. Else back to the P4 days.

Tao said:
AMD's only hope remains in the budget segment with the Fusion architecture. But with IVB having atleast 50% more powerful GPU, the advantage there also seems to be diminishing.

I dont think so. How much ever IVB GPU is good, the fusions will always be a better choice for IGP gamers. Unless they decide to give all the CPU the better GPU!

Tao said:
If I had to place my bets, I would choose IVB over Trinity given the sorry state of the Bulldozer core. Lets hope I lose this one.

Me too.

i dont think in any case a measly 15 -20 %(only promised) in piledriver from bulldozer will bring it to "the level" of SNB,maybe very close but not the same.when piledriver would find it hard to beat SNB in per core performance ,why should we even dream of comparing it to IVB?AMD needed to hurry and it missed all it's timelines ,this is a result of that.

Back