CPU/Mobo AMD or P4 Laptop

jindhal

Disciple
Mar 26, 2005
I am thinking of buying a new laptop but cant make up my mind as to buy an AMD - cos they are cheaper and from what my software engg class prof says the AMD carries out more MFLOPS/ sec than the P4 .. i generally need the lappie for .net programming and some light games and movies... any suggestion ....

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
prashantrana said:
imo intel centrino mobile processors are better than AMD, also please give your budget.

centrino in itself means PentiumM and wireless.
And I agree with prashant...... much less power consumption and low heat dissipation as well.
If I were to take a Laptop I would surely go for Centrino.

CaaYoTee

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Yeah..Centrino all the way....but 'm afraid it'll be a tad bit costlier...i like it simply because it consumes very less power...:)

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
The Pentium M rules in that it is able to provide both solid processing power with outstanding battery life. Usually its either one of the two.
But the Pentium M tends to come in at a higher price.

You could get a Celeron M for a much lower price, performance difference is very minimal from the Pentium Ms, unlike the Desktop celerons which are severely crippled compared to the P4s. Speedstep is also disabled in Celeron Ms, so battery life will be slightly reduced as well.
Avoid the plain P4s as they just run through your battery life and give off a lot of heat.

On the AMD side of things, the mobile athlon 64s are solid performers exactly like their desktop counterparts but battery life while decent isnt as great as the Pentium M.
A couple of Sempron based laptops are also available that use the same Socket 754 architecture as the mobile athlon 64s, and show great performance as well except for not having 64-bit capability. The Acer sempron laptop rocky mentioned is one such example. I wouldnt recommend the older Athlon XP laptops in light of all the other options available.
So its either Pentium M(expensive)/CeleronM(cheap)/Mobile Athlon 64/Mobile Sempron(socket 754 models)