CPU/Mobo AMD Fusion Discussion Thread

AMD to Offer “Unlocked” Versions of Fusion Llano APUs

Advanced Micro Devices Readies

Initially the company will offer two versions - A8-3870K(3.0GHz) and A6-3670K (2.70GHz) of its processors with four “Husky” cores and integrated AMD Radeon graphics adapters with 400 (600MHz) or 320 (444MHz) stream processors, respectively. Since the processors will come with unlocked multiplier, which allows to easily set higher clock-speed without affecting other components, the novelties will not feature automatic Turbo Core technology. The chips are in production now and projected to be launched sometimes in the fourth quarter of this calendar year, sources with knowledge of AMD's plans indicated.

Cheaper dual and tri cores Llanos have hit Indian shores :D

A4 2400 ~ Rs.3750 (2.7GHz dual core with 160 shader GPU. Makes an excellent entry level processor for a general usage home system)

A6 3500 ~ Rs. 4775 (2.1GHz tri core with 320 shader GPU. CPU turbos to 2.4GHz)

AMD A4-Series A4-3400 AD3400OJZ22GX (AD3400OJGXBOX)

Now if only the cheaper sub 3.5k A55 mobos launches soon here it will give decent competition to G620+H61 combo in the general usage PCs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AMD A6-Series A6-3500 AD3500OJZ33GX (AD3500OJGXBOX)
http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

"Fusion or Phenom or Vision Pro"???? - Apologies at the outset...... I've been outa touche for a looooong while

I am in the process of getting a new rig after 7 years {amd athlon xp1800 served me well}. I am, however TOTALLY CONFUSED.

I have come across this Mobo
ASUS F1A75-M Pro - Rs 7350/- DirX 11; HDMI; USB 3; AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3) chipset
and
compatible with
AMD A6-3650 (AD3650WNZ43GX, rev.B0, 2.6GHz, QC, L2:4M, HD6530D, 100W)
OR
AMD A8-3850 (AD3850WNZ43GX, rev.B0, 2.9GHz, QC, L2:4M, HD6550D, 100W)

Now 1] are these procs available in India and 2] is this a "good future-proof" rig ????

===============================

I am looking at onboard GPU with DirectX-11; USB 3.0; HDMI [preferably 2 ports]; 6-8 GB RAM; low power consumption.

terence_fdes said:
"Fusion or Phenom or Vision Pro"???? - Apologies at the outset...... I've been outa touche for a looooong while

I am in the process of getting a new rig after 7 years {amd athlon xp1800 served me well}. I am, however TOTALLY CONFUSED.

I have come across this Mobo
ASUS F1A75-M Pro - Rs 7350/- DirX 11; HDMI; USB 3; AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3) chipset
and
compatible with
AMD A6-3650 (AD3650WNZ43GX, rev.B0, 2.6GHz, QC, L2:4M, HD6530D, 100W)
OR
AMD A8-3850 (AD3850WNZ43GX, rev.B0, 2.9GHz, QC, L2:4M, HD6550D, 100W)

Now 1] are these procs available in India and 2] is this a "good future-proof" rig ????

===============================

I am looking at onboard GPU with DirectX-11; USB 3.0; HDMI [preferably 2 ports]; 6-8 GB RAM; low power consumption.

It all comes to needs. Llano is perhaps the well thought out and balanced chip in the market, none of the processors available can give a cumulative performance as good as Llano.

The combo that you have mentioned has been tested by me and is very nice, check the review http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/amd-fusion-a8-3850-review-igp-195501.html

1. Yes those processors are available in India. Our in house dealers (SMC International) for one has been selling Llano for quite a long time. You can find even better deals on combo from him. Check the market section for dealers.

2. Future proof is a perspective. Nothing is future proof. AMD will be releasing Trinity in the first half of 2012, websites are speculating that it will be in CES 2012 around Jan 10 2012. So if it does come out Llano will be outdated. The new Piledriver core based Llano refresh (Trinity) will not work with the present AMD FM1 boards. So you have to upgrade.

Now on a second thought, Llano itself is a good chip, with around Phenom II class performance and more than enough graphics engine that should suffice you 2 years. Given you do modest gaming and general purpose work. The quad core cpu's are not yet utilized by most of the applications so running for the top of end stuff seems lame to me. Until and unless you have some practical reason (3d rendering and intense work), multicore PC above 4 core doesn't make sense. General purpose performance will remain intact irrespective of the cores.

So if you want IGP based solutions Llano is the way to go. There is no other product in the market that can catch up on the IGP front. Add to that, Llano is a 32nm highly gated APU, lowering power requirements and running cool. However I don't recall seeing a motherboard with 2 HDMI ports you can use DVI -> HDMI converter though.

^^^ Trully Said, nothing wud been future proof:-

U can go with Llanno OR Intel Sandy's if u need System with Higher Compute Power, and later u can get in it Ivy's CPUs to have DX11 Graphics that will prolly perform upto Llano levels.

Dark Star said:
It all comes to needs. Llano is perhaps the well thought out and balanced chip in the market, none of the processors available can give a cumulative performance as good as Llano.

The combo that you have mentioned has been tested by me and is very nice, check the review http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/amd-fusion-a8-3850-review-igp-195501.html

1. Yes those processors are available in India. Our in house dealers (SMC International) for one has been selling Llano for quite a long time. You can find even better deals on combo from him. Check the market section for dealers.

2. Future proof is a perspective. Nothing is future proof. AMD will be releasing Trinity in the first half of 2012, websites are speculating that it will be in CES 2012 around Jan 10 2012. So if it does come out Llano will be outdated. The new Piledriver core based Llano refresh (Trinity) will not work with the present AMD FM1 boards. So you have to upgrade.

Thank you so much Dark Star. Your review indeed made things clearer in my mind about AMD's various procs. I am willing to spend upto 15K on a decent proc & mobo. What do you recommend? Do I wait until BD is out and see the pricing or relative drop in prices for the other procs down the line. AMD's future roadmap is still unclear to me [I need to brush up my knowledge]. Lastly, I do not intend to upgrade after 2-3 years - I want my new rig to last at least 4-5 years!!!

So for the above reason, I am future proofing only these elements - I am looking at 2 HDMI's [one to connect to my PC Monitor & the other to my 47" LED TV] - How do I achieve this ? other requirements are USB 3.0; DirectX 11; Full HD support.

Which other range of AMD's procs & mobo's support DirectX 11 ?

Will hardly ever use it for gaming.
Mostly RAW image batch processing; occassional rendering [rare] on Maya or Nuke. 24x7 on weekends for 1080p Movie downloads. Blu-ray ripping.

Thanks guys

^ If that is your usage, I would recommend getting an Intel Core i5 2400 + Intel DH67-BL combo for 9200+5100=14300.
The Core i5 will really help you with your other work apart from gaming.

But do wait for Bulldozer to launch before you buy anything.

viralbug said:
^ If that is your usage, I would recommend getting an Intel Core i5 2400 + Intel DH67-BL combo for 9200+5100=14300.

The Core i5 will really help you with your other work apart from gaming.

But do wait for Bulldozer to launch before you buy anything.

He wants an IGP with DX11 . SB doesnt have DX11 support and it will come with IB only.
terence_fdes said:
Thank you so much Dark Star. Your review indeed made things clearer in my mind about AMD's various procs. I am willing to spend upto 15K on a decent proc & mobo. What do you recommend? Do I wait until BD is out and see the pricing or relative drop in prices for the other procs down the line. AMD's future roadmap is still unclear to me [I need to brush up my knowledge]. Lastly, I do not intend to upgrade after 2-3 years - I want my new rig to last at least 4-5 years!!!

So for the above reason, I am future proofing only these elements - I am looking at 2 HDMI's [one to connect to my PC Monitor & the other to my 47" LED TV] - How do I achieve this ? other requirements are USB 3.0; DirectX 11; Full HD support.

Which other range of AMD's procs & mobo's support DirectX 11 ?

Will hardly ever use it for gaming.

Mostly RAW image batch processing; occassional rendering [rare] on Maya or Nuke. 24x7 on weekends for 1080p Movie downloads. Blu-ray ripping.

Thanks guys

Bulldozer and its motherboard will not have any integrated solution. So IGP is out of picture from Bulldozer POV. Well if you dont intend to upgrade, then also Llano will suffice else waiting for Bulldozer should be considered.

Almost all Llano boards have the requirement that you want except multiple HDMI. Since Llano can drive multiple display @ 1600p resolution, you can connect a device with HDMI and other using DVI to HDMI Converter.

For rest of the stuff Llano should suffice. But if you want to wait for BD the you can but I don't think you can get a BD + MB + Graphics card combo in your budget.

@ALPHA: It's failures are not necessarily due to it keeping older CPU sockets, I am sure it is because of other reasons. Even the older sockets have plenty of bandwidth. I think we all are so disappointed in AMD that now we are even faulting the few good things it is doing.

^^ Look man nothing against AMD, I'm using a Phenom IIx4 + AMD HD 5770 currently and I've nothing but praise for the set-ups performance [I am a addicted gamer + am pursuing Animation], but compared to the performance leap from the Intel Core i7 9** to the performance-per-watt of Intel Core i5 2***, it is nothing but stupendous.

Look all I mean to say is AMD needs to really do something radical [along the lines of FX-Athlon c.2005], to get noticed in the high-end / performance circles.

Happy Diwali to all on this thread in advance.

Dark Star said:

Check out this absurd ad :|

Suddenly it feels, I don't want to buy their products any more. :ashamed:

And what is with that Ayyy... M... D... sound outro at the end. :facepalm:

Back