AMD Fusion based HTPC

CrownRoyal

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
15-17K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Dell Inspiron15

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
AMD fusion based Asus E35M1-M PRO or GA-E350N-USB3
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Maybe SSD

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

New Delhi

Open to online purchase
No

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
HTPC

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy
Racing - at medium settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x1024
Desktop - 1280x1024

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32 bit
Windows XP 64 bit

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

AMD fusion based Asus E35M1-M PRO or GA-E350N-USB3

You should look to get the MSI E350IA-E45 (link). Those two boards draw more power than the MSI one without giving any significant gain in performance.

^^ AMD Fusion APUs are not out yet atleast as far as I know India, or I've not set my grubby eyes on them. I've seen it on retail only @IT Wares here is link -- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!MSI E350IA-E45 AMD Zacate E350 (1.6GHz, dual core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo ~ 7900/- as mentioned there.

SSD's are expensive a basic Corsair 60GB SSD ~ 7500/- here in Bangalore, so if you plan on a storing a massive number of movies then you'll have to plan to buy a SSD only for OS and dedicated applications while a standard Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB hard-disk. Hope this helps.

By the way any specific reason you are sticking to a sub-HD resolution on a HTPC RIG.

I would say wait it out till June 14th, just 5 days, for Llano launch.

Llano would come at the same price, aka 170$ for the costliest, around 8.5k itself, but perform tons better.

Yes, since you have gaming aspirations, it's a much better idea to hold on for a while and get Llano instead. Even the entry level dual core will destroy E350.

I don't know when it releases though... On June 14th it is releasing in laptops in some parts of the world, but as desktop parts in India, that is a different ball game.

comp@ddict said:
I would say wait it out till June 14th, just 5 days, for Llano launch.

Llano would come at the same price, aka 170$ for the costliest, around 8.5k itself, but perform tons better.
I think the release will take time in India, where everything reaches in trickle-down effect OP will have to wait till around July mid, then also AMD products have issues of availibility here so if OP is patient enough he can wait otherwise the E350 based mini-ITX boards are better.

I don't know when it releases though... On June 14th it is releasing in laptops in some parts of the world, but as desktop parts in India, that is a different ball game.[/QUOTE]

Considering a release date of 14 June, when can we expect a few Llano variants and compatible mobos to be available in the US? My cousin is coming back from the US June-end.

Back