CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Discussion Thread

However, where Bulldozer will succeed is on AMD's balance sheet. They'll be able to sell 4 module (core) processors as 8 core ones, and with the sharing of resources, and 32nm process they should be able to reduce the die sizes significantly.

Phenom II quad cores are 258 mm², or 64.5 mm²/core, and a Bulldozer 8 core should be about 315 mm2 (according to And the Bulldozer die size is…….. | SemiAccurate), or ~40 mm²/core. Almost 40% smaller.

They are having a lot of issues with their fab efficiency which is resulting in the delays. So I expect the cost of production to be much higher...

Something is not right here..I am confused about a few things:

1. How can a company make a new product which is lower/equal to the older product line. I dont see OCZ coming out with a Vertex 4 which is slower than the Vertex 3, unless there is some significant change in life of the said SSD

2. How are the planning to price it at 285 USD, if most reviews have shown it to be equal to or below PH II?

3. If the discussed performance is true, then should AMD have marketed this as a 4 core, 8 thread chip?

On 1, I have no answer, but I guess if anything changes then it will be on launch date ...maybe..

On 2, I have heard the number of chips available is going to be extremely low on launch...could this be the reason for the high prices? COuld it be the low amount of supply they have??

As of now, I think I have decided to stay with my current setup. I was sure shot going to get a BD, even if it was 15-20% faster than a PH II and had decent headroom for OC'ing.....OC'ing is still looking OK'ish, but performance from the leaked benchmarks seems to suck too much to contemplate spending 12-15k...

If its as bad as it looks right now then AMD should probably bundle these chips for free with their GPU's rather than Battlefield III....in house and all that..

hope it releases on 12 and benchmarks are better then what we saw or else its gonna be a huge dissapointment that i waited for so long for a crappy proc forget it being as good as i7 2600,i just hope its atleast as good if not better than i5 2500k at normal and after ocing

mrcool63 said:
october 12th.. two more days to go:D
thanks

atleast now i dont have to wait toooo long

i would be good if it 20~30% better than current Phenome series

any suggestion for upgrade for unlocked 555BE [Quad core @ stock]

i know its early to ask but could not resist

I've been waiting too for BD ...... BUT now I am getting the jitters.

The cheapest FX processor looks to be priced in the range of 11.5K, now add an AM3+ mobo 990FX [Asus Sabertooth 13.5K] and a GPU [SAPPHIRE HD 6850] 9K = Totalling 34K ........ Whoosh

I think they should be cheaper considering the fact that even 8 core BDs are barely able to keep up with the 2500K CPUs. The 4 core ones will be only a little better than the Phenom II ones and hence only slightly costlier. That is, if AMD has any sense.

I think AMD will see some really bad time if BD fails (which seems quite possible now). Their 7 series graphic cards are hung too due to TSMC. Just imagine what will happen if nvidia beats them in the Graphic card market and Intel continues to completely dominate them in the CPU market.

I am still concerned about the stepping used in benchmarks... Many Benchmarks show its B2 whereas the final is going to be a C0 revision... Not too sure, but might enhance the performance

Nvidia wont beat them in graphics market, coz AMD has got the guns to beat them anytime.. From an ATI/AMD fanboi ofcourse ;)

I came across some interesting comments today... If this is what AMD is upto, then we have something to talk about here..

1st guy : Their are things about bulldozer that are kept under lock and key,Even the early samples that are review are only running on single channel memory, cutting the performance by almost 45 percent. Windows (which most of these reviews are running on) needs to be patched to properly run bulldozer. Zambezi and it's brothers are design in such away that Amd can choose to cripple the cpu's until launch,

Intel is filled with very smart people and they know trouble when they see it, and Amd's bulldozer is a hell of a lot of trouble, or they would not be releasing the 2700. The Nda should be lifted tomorrow morning at 12:01, we would know then what AMD is packing.

2nd guy :
you obviously have some divine insight....but tbh what you are saying makes no sense.....you say Intel know the story and are frightened, so what is the point of AMD crippling their samples?....is it just to make their prospective customers think their product is crap?

Doesn't sound like a logical plan to me.

1st guy : quite simple when you think about it. AMD is a company which trades on the stock market. The stock is tanking right now, giving half info is a way to sink the stocks on purpose, then buy up a lot of stock, then when bulldozer does well those stocks become worth a hell of a lot more than they are now. And it's perfect because Amd can just pretend that they were protecting their other products by not giving out information, and claiming that the cpu needed to be patched to run properly.

Someone is going to make a tonne load of money on Amd's stock in the coming weeks.

Happy to see the gaming performance matches core i7's and surpasses core i5's at full hd... Serious run for money, but other benchmarks hardly matter to a end user, so I guess price of FX8150 in India should be around 12K to make it a worth buy or SB's are way to go

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AMD FX-8150 8-Core CPU Review: Bulldozer Is Here - HotHardware

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Reviews say "XOP or AVX instructions which have been incorporated in BD FX,are not used in those benchmarks... Benchmarks optimized to use XOP or AVX instructions will result in higher scores definitely"

Back