Amazon Customer Service Associates run/away from Chat, if they dont have answers to questions !

Futureized

Skilled
Ordered few items in last month and noticed Amazon Customer Service Associates run away/become idle if they do not have answers to clients/cutomers questions.

Few products ordered (like t-shirts) were completely different and only elegible for replacement.. the customer support guy did not respond for 15 minutes.

Another product same story, service associate did not respond !!

Yesterday ordered 2 power cables and both of them do not connect to PC/MONITOR/PRINTER/PS3/XBOX
(item is only elegible for replacement, now since this is not working at all, i am stuck... )
210 INR per cable.
Chat getting escalated to 7the department now..

Last edited:
Chat support is extremely entry level and for template based resolution.

I have got refund without return for 3 non-returnable items just over the past month on call.

Ordered few items in last month and noticed Amazon Customer Service Associates run away/become idle if they do not have answers to clients/cutomers questions.

Few products ordered (like t-shirts) were completely different and only elegible for replacement.. the customer support guy did not respond for 15 minutes.

Another product same story, service associate did not respond !!

Yesterday ordered 2 power cables and both of them do not connect to PC/MONITOR/PRINTER/PS3/XBOX
(item is only elegible for replacement, now since this is not working at all, i am stuck... )
210 INR per cable.
Chat getting escalated to 7the department now..
Why waste time on chat
Straightaway select call option.
If your account is in good standing they ll refund you and let you keep the items.

Amazon is pretty professional that way
Miles ahead than crapkart in my view.

I always buy from amazon even if thete is slight higher price than crapkart, just for that peace of mind that I won't have to do jhik jhik like that with the local shops at the time of return or replacement.

If you return the product for the second time then you get the option to get your amount back. So order a replacement and then again put a return request. You will get your money back.

Few suggestions:

Few products ordered (like t-shirts) were completely different and only eligible for replacement.
If an item is not as described in the listing, say only that. "Item is not as described in the listing." Don't get into any other confusing side discussion or complaint, apart from explaining how it differs from the listing.

The easier method is to ask for a replacement twice. First raise the replacement with reason "Wrong item was sent" or "Description on website was not accurate" depending on how much it differs from the listing. If the replacement is received but also not as described, again ask for a replacement with the same reason. Typically you will get a refund.

Amazon's processes are highly robotized and automated at scale. No human sees if what's received in the warehouse matches what's on the listing. If it has the right stickers it is received and placed into the right location in the warehouse. But if say two separate customers report that an item is not as described on the listing, that's when the stock of that item is subject to manual review or even automatically pulled from the storefront.

Any Amazon CS agent has the ability to raise an 'Andon Cord' ticket and pull a product from buyable status for this issue.

If the item is as described on the listing but the customer didn't check the required connector or length or assumed what they need is called a power cable and all power cables are the same, this one might be on the customer.

For low value items shipping costs almost the same as the item itself, and reverse-logistics also costs almost the same. i.e. highly exceeding the profit margin for everyone involved.
If it costs ₹210 with free delivery, close to 40% of that price may be the forward logistics cost itself for the seller. So essentially by asking for a return or replacement we are asking them to spend ₹75 for reverse logistics out of their own pocket for an item, and eat up the previously spent ₹75 for forward logistics, so take a loss of ₹150 while their hopeful earning even in the best case would have been ₹20-₹40.

For this reason they are unlikely to agree for a return if the item is as described on the listing. It's up to you to prove with photos that the item received is different from what was expected.

Also for this reason, if they do refund a low cost item, they might ask the customer to just keep the item rather than have to incur a reverse logistics cost for it.

If your account is in good standing they ll refund you and let you keep the items.

Amazon has internal undisclosed limits to score every customer's behaviour. If you are a good customer, you can get much leeway including cooperation on returns on non-returnable items, apocryphal free Xboxes and what not.

But if your return ratio is high, you will find you are not given many exceptions, and in severe scenarios your account can also be banned from Amazon and any new accounts you open be closed automatically.

Returns are a privilege, even more so on non-returnable items, so use the bramhastra wisely and for valuable items.

Back