Am I the only one who can’t get used to Fediverse platforms?

0xJoe

Recruit
I’m fairly new to the Fediverse, and I'd like to share my onboarding experience here. Personally, I appreciate the concept of decentralization and the community-driven aspect of Fediverse. I’ve used Mastodon, based on ActivityPub, for a month, however:

1. I find it difficult to get all the updates I need on a particular instance, and except for a few very large instances, most others appear quite quiet and like the Internet ten years ago.
2. The content and style of each instance tend to be quite diverse. To find someone to follow, I must switch between different instances with lengthy domains.
3. Fediverse isn't truly decentralized; instances operate under the will of server owners, who can ban and remove content as they please.

These reasons prompted me to explore more decentralized networks, I mean truly decentralized networks, such as Nostr.

1. Although users on Nostr may still be banned by certain relays, it’s easy to switch to another relay. One aspect I appreciate about Nostr is that users can post on different relays simultaneously.
2. Unlike Fediverse, Nostr IDs are not linked to server domains, making users less dependent on their server.

However, creating a Nostr account and saving the Recovery Phrases is challenging (I lost my first Nostr ID due to the loss of Recovery Phrases). And generally speaking, the user experience on Nostr is much worse than Mastodon, full of scam and ads.

I believe people should leave Twitter due to shadowbans and robots and Facebook due to privacy concerns, but I'm struggling to choose a platform to migrate to. Each has its drawbacks, making it difficult to decide.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Thank you.

even i think the fediverse is just a big fail. i deleted 2 accounts on lemmy and kbin and never went back. just not the same as single company owned website or service. the headaches are too much with instances banning other instances because they don't like one thing or other or something else. it's like looking at stupid kids fighting in the ground over who can do what.
worst thing is everything gets copied/posted 10 times across different instances with the same topic. just chaos imo.

Back