PC Peripherals Altec Lansing, which one?

observer

Disciple
I am planning to install Altec Lansing speakers at my OFFICE. It would be mostly used for music. My budget can stretch upto 7-8K. Which ones should I go for? Music played would be mostly contemporary folk, jazz, classic rock. So I want something which can give me good fidelity even at low volumes as I can't play it loud at office.

Also please suggest me a sound card. Is M-Audio really necessary? I mean, M-Audio will surely produce the best output but will the amp on the speakers to the justice? What's the next best choice?

Thanks

Well for 9k you do get MX5021 which the guys are all praise for. Also there are some positive reviews for Logitech Z2300 which is THX certified. M Audio is definately better then onboard solutions but its quite expensive here.

i bought altec lansing 251(45 watts rms)though there is a model with 60watts rms,is my fake?

b/w mx5021 is for 9.5

ask smc and trifing

consider 3151 or assembled speakers

you can buy an atp3 model ... should be around 3k - 3.5k and a creative soundblaster live soundcard for 2k :)

if you are on a budget you can get the sb live 24 bit sound card for 2k and an altec lansing 621 for 6k.

one of the best combos among multimedia (pc) speakers would definitely be a sound card based on the via envy 24 ht chip such as the m audio revo or the audiotrak prodigy 7.1 and a few others along with the mx 5021

I second the Altec Lansing 621, very musical speakers and the next best thing you can get after the MX5021 :)
You basically need a 24-bit card to get the most from your audio, at that the SB-Live 24-bit is your cheapest bet.

Other cards based on the Envy24 HT are Gainward's hollywood@home, but the DACs are pretty poor so dont expect wonders from it. Chaintec AV-710s are amazing value as they have Wolfson DACs on 2-channels, unfortunately apart from the states i haven't spotted them anywhere else here.

Crazy_Eddy said:
I second the Altec Lansing 621, very musical speakers and the next best thing you can get after the MX5021 :)
You basically need a 24-bit card to get the most from your audio, at that the SB-Live 24-bit is your cheapest bet.

Other cards based on the Envy24 HT are Gainward's hollywood@home, but the DACs are pretty poor so dont expect wonders from it. Chaintec AV-710s are amazing value as they have Wolfson DACs on 2-channels, unfortunately apart from the states i haven't spotted them anywhere else here.

Yup the live 24bit is awesome. It has the crystal 4382-KQ dac which is the same as audigy2 zs.

bought for i think 1900 from smc,don't go is for abt 1.4k according to digit magazine probably.

also,try to buy from standard shop

hardboy said:
i bought altec lansing 251(45 watts rms)though there is a model with 60watts rms,is my fake?
Altec Lansing 251.
Power Output: 45 Watts RMS @ 1% THD, 60 Watts RMS @ 10% THD

They're both one and the same model. Please quit bringing up your questions in other people's threads. There are no "fake" Altec Lansings, atleast none that we have seen :)

observer said:
How much does M-Audio cost here in Mumbai? What else is available here with envy 24 HT chipset?
the revo 7.1 was 7k here in chenai the last time i checked. not really worth it. get the sb live

Maudio revolution is available here for Rs.5.5K which is same as Audigy2 zs here.
If you are music buff then skip creative series altogether. Seriously. Maudio sounds so much better specially listning to the classic jazz and musicals and vocals.
For some reason my audigy 2 zs couldnt do justice to my custome speakers so i sold it couple of weeks ago and buying Maudio after my exams are over :)

funkymonkey said:
Maudio revolution is available here for Rs.5.5K which is same as Audigy2 zs here.
thats a good price .. maybe its dropped since i last checked. is that the price for the revo 5.1 or 7.1 ? the reviews for the revo 5.1 didnt look as good when compared to the reviews of the revo 7.1

Its available with Mnemonic systems on order basis.
I got the speakers made for me. There are many people who make custom speakers. So i got a good set made for me. You get quality speakers which will kick any branded speaker's @$$ and costs less than those fancy and expensive Altec or creative speakers. The one which i got made has 100watt RMS sub which really packs some punch. And speakers are 45Watt RMS each.
And all this with amplifier for Rs.8.5K( i exceeded my original budget of 7.5K to have this new more powerful subwoofer).
I will try to post the pics when i set these speakers up when i get my new soundcard.
I tested it with Philips DVD player and it shook the whole apartment :p
Crystal clear sound. but not so good when i connected to to SB Audigy2. It sounded only little better than my creative 4.1 setup.
My friend also have exact same speakers coupled with his Maudio revolution and it sounds amazing.

bottle said:
thats a good price .. maybe its dropped since i last checked. is that the price for the revo 5.1 or 7.1 ? the reviews for the revo 5.1 didnt look as good when compared to the reviews of the revo 7.1
No this is for revo 7.1.
Yes prices dropped this month for this card.
There is also new philips Acoustic edge available but its only 5.1 but it too is better than creative when it comes to music.

Plz let me know where i can get them for 9.5 k and the name of the person and contact no. if possible. Thanks!

amitmk posted 0.68 minutes later:

where in mumbai i mean...

Back