Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigma 10-20mm is a very nice lens and i highly recommend it. Very little barrel distortion and I really like the colour it provides. :)

Plus the Tokina has a bit limited range and I find myself using the 20mm at times.

Best of all its one of the cheapest UWAs around. :)

I think i'll go with the sasta sigma :) its 470 vs 600 $ on B&H . And yaa, you can MF with the tokina, but i want to luxury of AF for when i'm lazy :)

Now the next question is : which filters do i use :)

I have my cokin holder and hitech grads coming, i will have to order the cokin wide angle holder which has just 1 filter slot. So it will be sigma + 1 grad. From what i see online, 11mm onwards, it wont be an issue, at 10mm the holder creeps into the frame.

Brendon shaabji, aaapke paas kya hai :bleh:

^^ You wont believe it but I also ordered for the Cokin P holder + wide holder and Hitech GND filters !!! :O

Great minds think alike !!! :D

FaH33m said:
^ How much did it cost you in total ?
P holder, 52mm adapter, and 3 hitech GNDs ran me around 145$.

I'll get the wide angle holder and 77mm adapter ring when i order the lens :)

@Brendon, which other filters do you have , that are useful for this lens?

The 10-stop ND is 125$ lol, i'm not that rich :bleh:

Both are solid entry level bodies and equally good, and that's a sweet deal on 1000D. D3000 does not have an AF motor in its body, which makes it to be picky on old lenses.

Which is not the cased with the canon, enjoy the 1000D. Happy clicking.

_pappu_ said:
P holder, 52mm adapter, and 3 hitech GNDs ran me around 145$.

I'll get the wide angle holder and 77mm adapter ring when i order the lens :)

@Brendon, which other filters do you have , that are useful for this lens?

The 10-stop ND is 125$ lol, i'm not that rich :bleh:
P Holder (chinese) $4 , hitech 3 GND hard filters $70 + 77mm adapter ring ($4) + wide angle adapter ($6) = Total $84 approx.

I also got a B+W 77mm soft edge GND filter for $66 (bought this before I decided on P system) + B+W 77mm 10 stop filter (picked it up for 4k from Joesph. :eek:hyeah) and a Kenko CPL filter (picked it up new from Fort for 2.2k).

Thats all the filters I use though I have a few macro filters and one cheap 62mm CPL filter that I dont use.

Its raining filters :p
Just got a 77mm B+W 10 stop ND3.0 for 3.7k, 77mm Hoya CPL for 2.2k and a 77mm Hoya UV for 1k (this is to complete the weather sealing along with my rain cover) :D

^^ where from? i usually order from B & H and the 10-stop is 125$ there

mister brendon has a nice source in the form of jo-jo :bleh:

I am looking for a DSLR (Beginner here). Budget 30K INR.

Came across Nikon D3100 . Looks like this is the perfect one to start off with. Or should I increase my budget and go for Canon 550D ?

CeDrIc said:
I am looking for a DSLR (Beginner here). Budget 30K INR.

Came across Nikon D3100 . Looks like this is the perfect one to start off with. Or should I increase my budget and go for Canon 550D ?

I agree with logstopath. The same case was with me. I also wanted to purchase D3100 as I was nikon fanboy. My friends started forcing me to get Canon 550D. I increased my budget littlebit and went for Canon 550D. Pure Awesomeness.

Don't even look at D3100 and get 550D, much better in every sense. :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw, what is the difference between ND3, ND4, ND8 filters?

Rahulrulez said:
I agree with logstopath. The same case was with me. I also wanted to purchase D3100 as I was nikon fanboy. My friends started forcing me to get Canon 550D. I increased my budget littlebit and went for Canon 550D. Pure Awesomeness.

Don't even look at D3100 and get 550D, much better in every sense. :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw, what is the difference between ND3, ND4, ND8 filters?
ND 8x means it will cut light by 8 times, so if you have say 1sec. exposure , you would need an 8sec. exposure using the ND8 filter.

Generally, for night shots, ND8 would allow 30sec. exposures and longer. For long exposures in the daytime, you need a B&W 10-stop ND filter, which is equivalent to ND1000

ND8 means 3 stop reduction, ND4 means 2 stops and ND2 means 1 stop.

If you have a 1/30 sec exposure then ND2 filter will give you a 1/15 secs shutter, ND2 will give you 1/8 and ND4 will give you 1/4

You can also club the filters together to get even further reduction in shutter speeds but IQ will start to suffer a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back