Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
m-jeri said:
@foto gurus...

1. I use AF. and try to get animals in cage. obviously the cage's grill gets focused :S.

If i use MF i cant get the sharpness reqd. what to do?

2. Using a prime in above situations helpful?...

3. I use Aperture mode most times.. coz i like the blurry bg. So.. i think i was using low Av values for a distant object.

but all the pic was dark .. S...

4. There are times when the cages insides are dark.. how to get pics.. i tried pumping the ISO and putting the Av to a medium values.

no use. :S.

Please help folks.
Sahil answered them nicely in short..

To make you understand the root, explaining a bit..

1. In cameras AF generally tends to focus the nearest object in the scene (given that it is in its focusing range) So in case of zoo, the cages are nearer to camera then animals, hence get focused..

Not getting sharp images in MF is due to your lack of skills in MF-ing.. Not to worry, MF skills go better as you practice.

Solution - If AF - you can choose a single AF point among the 7 or 9 ones in ur 1000D.. Note that the selected point should fall on the subject to be focused.

If MF - can use live view for better aid.focusing through viewfinder goes better with time..

2. Prime wont make great change in respect of focusing.. coz its not a zoom lens issue stuff..

3. Getting photos dark do not show the aperture issue, but reflects the issue of exposure.. The exposure compensation bar might be at -ve end and U forgot to bring it at zero. :p

wrong exposure also arrives due to wrong metering. Sometimes OOF cages also show darkness in the pic

4. It is all about exposure.. You need to maintain shutter, aperture and ISO in correct way to get right exposure... If you are close to cage and it is too dark, U may fire flash.. however, flash dont really help.

BF1983 said:
If you have a 50mm lens then I suggest magnification diopters only as ETs and reverse rings wont work for the lack of an aperture control.

However do note that you wont be able to get as much magnification as a ET or reverse ring method but you will get AF which is pretty nice. Also do note that with diopter rings the focus range is very limited.

hmmm....contemplating what to buy and what not with limited resources.....wonder where will i get a mf lens with aperture control ring???:no:
photography seems to make simpler things complicated for me!!:S

1) Easy - how far were you from the cage grille?
If at all possible, put the lens just against the grille, taking care not to touch it (easily scratched lens element and all that). You'll find the bars are way out of focus now :)

2) Any lens with a larger aperture actually. Helps with the low light and DOF.

3) You also need to take care of shutter speeds and ISO - all these values are related. If you keep a fairly low shutter speed - say 1/15 at ISO 800ish, you should be able to shoot in low light. Of course, if the animal is moving, it'll be blurred. What helps here is a lens like the 50mm 1.8.

4) Read above. Also, you might encounter situations where the light is pretty dull, in that case, a tripod would help (again, not with a moving animal :) ) .
m-jeri said:
@foto gurus...

And also during my last shooting out(I seldom click :S). I had few issues. please help this fool

1. I use AF. and try to get animals in cage. obviously the cage's grill gets focused :S.
If i use MF i cant get the sharpness reqd. what to do?

2. Using a prime in above situations helpful?...

3. I use Aperture mode most times.. coz i like the blurry bg. So.. i think i was using low Av values for a distant object.
but all the pic was dark .. S...

4. There are times when the cages insides are dark.. how to get pics.. i tried pumping the ISO and putting the Av to a medium values.
no use. :S.

Please help folks.

Aces170 said:
1. Manually select the AF point

2. Not really, why do you think so?

3. A lower AV (wider aperture) will capture more light, so you are doing right there. Increase the ISO and in manual mode lower the shutter speed.

4. No real solution here, apart from using flash and scaring off the animal.

Ok.. thanks... anyways i am going again.. will try those. :D

Prime i said coz the focal length is still and we can change the aperture r8, so can get a better focus.

Dunno if i said that wisely. :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ashvarybabul said:
Sahil answered them nicely in short..

To make you understand the root, explaining a bit..

1. In cameras AF generally tends to focus the nearest object in the scene (given that it is in its focusing range) So in case of zoo, the cages are nearer to camera then animals, hence get focused..

Not getting sharp images in MF is due to your lack of skills in MF-ing.. Not to worry, MF skills go better as you practice.

Solution - If AF - you can choose a single AF point among the 7 or 9 ones in ur 1000D.. Note that the selected point should fall on the subject to be focused.

If MF - can use live view for better aid.focusing through viewfinder goes better with time..

2. Prime wont make great change in respect of focusing.. coz its not a zoom lens issue stuff..

3. Getting photos dark do not show the aperture issue, but reflects the issue of exposure.. The exposure compensation bar might be at -ve end and U forgot to bring it at zero. :p

wrong exposure also arrives due to wrong metering. Sometimes OOF cages also show darkness in the pic

4. It is all about exposure.. You need to maintain shutter, aperture and ISO in correct way to get right exposure... If you are close to cage and it is too dark, U may fire flash.. however, flash dont really help.
True. I suck at MF.

I tried a lot but never gives satisfactory results. its a 500D so 9 points.

About prime..ok.

About exposure. Actually i never got the hang of that. I always keep that at 0 so. was planning to read up on it. guess will do it asap.

I never want to use flash. coz yeas i was nearer to the cages. and as @Aces said, in zoo that scares the animals off.

sheesh i saw people making funny sounds to make the tigers move and what nots. :|

AK3D said:
1) Easy - how far were you from the cage grille?

If at all possible, put the lens just against the grille, taking care not to touch it (easily scratched lens element and all that). You'll find the bars are way out of focus now :)

2) Any lens with a larger aperture actually. Helps with the low light and DOF.

3) You also need to take care of shutter speeds and ISO - all these values are related. If you keep a fairly low shutter speed - say 1/15 at ISO 800ish, you should be able to shoot in low light. Of course, if the animal is moving, it'll be blurred. What helps here is a lens like the 50mm 1.8.

4) Read above. Also, you might encounter situations where the light is pretty dull, in that case, a tripod would help (again, not with a moving animal :) ) .
haha.. well actually the railings come first and then the cage. so no way i can do that. :(. buggers.

Larger aperture lens ehh... hmm.. guess the best i can afford to get is a 50mm 1.8. :(.

No. actually i kept the Av at F5~F6. in aperture mode. Not fully manual mode. not that eleet. :S.

Thought the cam will compensate the optimal values for the rest. not that the case?.

No the animal was not moving.. :(. It was a white tiger. so magnificent. :(.

Geez i hadnt had a excursion just for clicking pics. or say better pics. or using my slr. and already learning a lot. :)

Thanks folks. Let me try again. :D

Guys, need your advice..

thinking of getting a good zoom lens for my canon 500D

only have the kit lens as of now..

Which one should i get?

the canon 55-250 or the 75-300?

both cost almost the same?

any other lens in the same price from tamron or sigma that are equally good?

ragzdiablo said:
Guys, need your advice..

thinking of getting a good zoom lens for my canon 500D

only have the kit lens as of now..

Which one should i get?

the canon 55-250 or the 75-300?

both cost almost the same?

any other lens in the same price from tamron or sigma that are equally good?
Go for Canon 55-250mm IS lens...Tamron has 70-300mm lens but lately it's giving device error on many Canon bodies...so I will suggest to keep away from this...Sigma also has 70-300mm lens with Macro mode...but people say, Sigma becomes soft with usage...

Guys, i'm thinking of buying "Sony NEX 5" as it is aswell DSLR and little portable, can anyone of you suggest me a better model...or do i have any drawbacks with this...my budget is around 35k

^^^ Availability of lenses is only problem with Sony NEX series...personally I would suggest to go for a DSLR...Canon 550D prices have came down to ~36k after the announcement of 600D...

Konquerror said:
^^^ Availability of lenses is only problem with Sony NEX series...personally I would suggest to go for a DSLR...Canon 550D prices have came down to ~36k after the announcement of 600D...
DSLRs and EVIL cameras have different segments. An EVIL camera is very small and compact while a DSLR is far more bulky. Plus EVIL cameras are great for those moving up from P&S cameras as everything is done via the LCD.

raj_ch2002 said:
Canon 550D i see only body costs 35k...what about the basic lens...how much damage will that be ???
Canon 550D with 18-55mm lens is available for Rs 36999/- on JJ Mehta jjmehta.com eShop

I think you can get a better deal at shop after haggling a little bit.

BF1983 said:
DSLRs and EVIL cameras have different segments. An EVIL camera is very small and compact while a DSLR is far more bulky. Plus EVIL cameras are great for those moving up from P&S cameras as everything is done via the LCD.
yes BF1983, you are absolutely right...it all depends on requirement.

Hey guys, I'm going to be in Bombay for the next week for so, and wanted to know if Crumpler or Optech straps are available any place? Any help would be appreciated :)

You will need to roam around in Fort and its bylanes. There are 100's of shops and dont go by the exteriors some real gems are found in old shops :)

Guys, i know i have posted this query before..

but im still not sure what to get..

budget 15k..need a good zoom lens..

The 55-250 seems to be the answer..

but any other options from sigma, tamrom?

Using a 500D

ragzdiablo said:
Guys, i know i have posted this query before..

but im still not sure what to get..

budget 15k..need a good zoom lens..

The 55-250 seems to be the answer..

but any other options from sigma, tamrom?

Using a 500D
Canon 55-250 IS is certainly the best option inside your budget..

However, If you succeed in extending the budget bit more, you can look forward to Tamron 70-300mm VC

Not sure of the exact price but it is 20+ k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back