Video Airtel HD Audio Out Question

Guys, Unfortunately with a tie up for my building I have ended up with the worst HD service ever with Airtel in the history of DTH. Now I have a technical question.
I have currently connected my new *aquisition* Panasonic P42X20D via HDMI to my Airtel STB. Few questions:

1) Will I get audio from the HDMI
2) How will Airtel pass Dolby Digital on National Geographic to my TV? Through HDMI? Will my Plasma be able to handle the Dolby signal in HDMI?
3) I know for sure that DTS is not playing through HDMI but would National Geographics audio play (that is Dolby Audio?)
4) Lastly I wanna know if I can connect the picture (video only) through HDMI and still get my stereo audio out to work (not optical) as I want to plug the stereo audio to my Logitech Z623. Will this work.

Hope my requirements are clear

HDMI will send all form of audio (dolby,DTS) channel to the TV, it depends on the tv if it can decode them..even if your tv decodes it output will still be two channel from the tv speakers.

try sending the dolby,dts signal to tv and if there is sound its working for you, else try sending stereo audio channel to the tv. hope that the STB provides this function(i.e selective audio feed to the tv.)

another option the new flat panels have is that there is an option for optical out from the tv which can be connected to home theaters for better sound experience( your panel has this function), you can try that. In this casw the tv will not decode the audio signal and simply pass it through the optical out ..

All TVs decode dolby digital and thats the only format used by HD DTH companies. So you can either use HDMI or coax/optical. It doesn't matter. If your speaker system supports coax/optical input, why not simply connect the coax/optical out of the set top box directly to your speakers?

I have a projector + AVR setup in living room. Logitech Z5500 in another room... This is for my second bed room where I just got Pana X20D plasma. Now I am planning to buy cheaper speakers. Mainly Logitech 2.1 Z623 which have only stereo input as a wire management saver and a cost saving measure.
Therefore need to confirm if I take video output through HDMI, does stereo audio out on setup box still work? And can it be plugged into stereo input of my speakers with RCA jack.
I know for sure in Tata Sky+ optical out works when connected through component, need to confirm for Airtel :(

iirc AIRTEL HD STB has setting of allowing video through HDMI and audio through Audio out, this is what I noticed while setting up my STB first time.

My TV plays all the HD sound till now I have thrown at it. It does play NGC HD sounds too, I tested the channel for 1 month and then discontinued.

So you can select output port of audio and connect and check the audio.

techcheat said:
Therefore need to confirm if I take video output through HDMI, does stereo audio out on setup box still work? And can it be plugged into stereo input of my speakers with RCA jack.
Then why not connect the RCA cables from the TV's audio-out to the speakers instead?

Caz the way the speaker cabinet is designed... my wires are already pre-wired behind the panel with lil or almost no space left to run another set of wires behind the wall. Therefore easiest solution would be to run the wires from the set-up box. I will confirm as I plan to get it activated this weekend.
I am totally pissed at Airtel (had no choice) and have paid for 1 year. Now I am thinking to call Sun and get another HD subscription.... I will at least get Discovery and Movies Now. I dont care 2 hoots about Star HD.

Back