Airtel FB pack live now.. cheers?

yes, but don't forget that a typical 1GB mobile data plan in the US comes for ~$25 vs I dunno, 100 Rs for 200MB here?
Last I know, 1 GB of data costs 250 INR here which is a USD/INR conversion rate of 10/-

yes, but don't forget that a typical 1GB mobile data plan in the US comes for ~$25 vs I dunno, 100 Rs for 200MB here?
Last I know, 1 GB of data costs 250 INR here which is a USD/INR conversion rate of 10/-

So, are you willing to get abused for getting cheaper data?
And why do you extpect others to follow?

So, are you willing to get abused for getting cheaper data?
No, the whole point of contention is that there is no abuse in the current format
If and when it happens, I will object to it
Genuinely now, can someone please tell me what abuse am I or any other customers being subjected to with Airtel Zero or Internet.org
And since this is not a discussion on probability theory, please limit it how it affects you in its current shape & form

Last edited:
The lines seem to have been blurred somewhere down the line (no pun intended)

Airtel Zero and Internet.org are different from Airtel charging extra for VOIP, etc but both seem to fall under net neutrality.

Does one honestly care if you can browse Flipkart or Facebook for free? But, yes everyone should care if you have to pay extra for certain types of data.

^^ Exactly my point and the previous analogy of a 1800 toll free number
If someone wants to foot my bill for browsing their site, by all means
As for the other argument on this harming a fledgling startup, guess what, either :
a) I am a loser for not even bothering to run a check across the board for other alternatives
b) I am either down enough on the SEC classification for not being able to use a regular plan (In which case the startup isn't hurt anyway)
c) I am a cheapskate (in which case the startup isn't hurt anyway again)

Does one honestly care if you can browse Flipkart or Facebook for free? But, yes everyone should care if you have to pay extra for certain types of data.
Err If you are not paying to access flipkart and paying to access amazon. Isn't that same as 'pay extra for certain types of data' ?

^^ Semantically yes, In reality - No
Its rather the ISP getting the charges you would have paid from the portal instead vs the ISP asking you to pay more for torrents

Its rather the ISP getting the from the portal vs the ISP asking you to pay more for torrents
Case 1:
the ISP is getting paid from netflix for free access to netflix ( user pays Rs.0)
I have to pay for accessing netflix-competittor (box.com) (User pays Rs.10)

vs
Case 2:
We pay Rs. 10 for youtube/netflix
And for torrents we have to pay Rs.20

I don't see a difference.

Please read my post again, the two cases are semantically the same (and so is your example), miles apart in reality
I don't want to create venn diagrams to demonstrate that
If you still fail to see the difference that then there is no point in me going over it again

Err If you are not paying to access flipkart and paying to access amazon. Isn't that same as 'pay extra for certain types of data' ?

But you were in any case paying to access Flipkart and Amazon in the first place. So suppose it cost you Rs 10 to access both and then Flipkart became free and you still pay Rs. 10 to access Amazon you haven't lost diddly. BUT if you now have to pay Rs. 20 to access Amazon (which is the fear and something which with Airtel is actually possible) then you definitely lose something.

you haven't lost diddly
Right! The consumers probably don't lose anything. But please re-read your post and mine.

I wasn't talking about 'losing' from the pov of the customer. I was suggesting that the 2 are one and the same OR at least similar

Please read my post again, the two cases are semantically the same (and so is your example), miles apart in reality
I don't want to create venn diagrams to demonstrate that
If you still fail to see the difference that then there is no point in me going over it again
Why bother with saying anything, if you are not willing to explain your viewpoints. How are they miles apart in reality ?

Last edited:
I will object to it Genuinely now, can someone please tell me what abuse am I or any other customers being subjected to with Airtel Zero or Internet.org

You won't be able to protest after you are conditioned to live on those free OTT packages. And by the time you will collect the courage to protest them, the laws would have been written entirely in favour of these telcos.

That's just marketing speak man written by copywriters
Misleading though and i recall TRAI issuing clear instructions against it.

Ideally they should not be "seeing" and categorizing on a singular consumer's quantum usage. The forerunner to this will be, obviously:

Unbundling and charging for (some example):

1. P2p.
2. Mails.
3. FB.
4. Twitter.
5. FK.
6. Amazon.
7. WhatsApp

They are basically going to break the usage into various components and monetize this. Like how it is done for: SMS/caller tunes/voice. They are can takeing end-point and tax the data lanes as they deem fit. This is exactly what this package is doing. I do not care if it is NN compatible or not, but it is a bad trend. FUP-TEL is a rogue organization, and has a habit of standardizing bad-practices, to industrial norms.
Similar to SMS, data voice ? it was a frickin nightmare to navigate through 100 plus little plans until i figured out how to work it. Such is pay as you go. The result is self regulation over what you use.

Now i wonder whether the same will cross over to wired connections or is this just a mobile only thing. wired is postpaid by definition. Should not apply. The amount of customers they have is a tiny fraction of mobile anyway.

Last edited:
And no this pack is not the cheapest. There are many 3g packs available at varying price points along with combo packs that would get much cheaper as you go higher up in the plan.
Oh do tell me how you can get 21MB access to facebook for 7 days at Rs. 7 ?

Secondly, marketing doesn't mean that you spread rumours or tell lies. This is pure fraud as representing facts wrongly. You can be sued for that kind of language in your advertisement. Unfortunately, in India these kind of litigation are limited.
In other contries like USA. You can not say anything like that. Because you would definitely get sued for huge sum of money.
Consumer rules aren't as tight here but TRAI has already issued directions about misleading advertising.

Last edited:
Back