Aircel 3G query

muzux2

ex-Mod
Hey Guys

Last week, i got my new Aircel SIM activated and tried it on unlocked Reliance 3G Dongle (ZTE MF190). I've activated 2G unlimited internet with Rs 98 pack, the reliance dialer shows up EDGE network with 256Kbps bandwith but i was getting really pathetic speeds as the bandwidth never crossed 60Kbps on EDGE in my area. Just 3 days ago i activated 3G on the same sim and the dialer now shows up HSPA with 7.2 Mbps bandwith. I'm constantly getting 128Kps on the same 98 Pack which is obvious as i didn't recharge with any 3G packs. Now, since morning when i was browsing the network automatically got disconnected, whenever i click 'connect' tab in dialer, it gets connected but after 1-2 secs the network disconnects itself. After checking 3G plans on Aircel website, 3G packs available for Dongle starts at Rs 198, while for mobile 3G packs starts at Rs 8.

Now my question is

1) Why i'm not been able to connect to internet despite that it was working fine for the past 3 days. I'm wondering have Aircel caught me using 2G plans on 3G device or is it they allow it to work for only 3 days.

2) Do i need to recharge Rs 198 pack to make 3G work on Dongle? Why Mobile packs say Rs 8 or 17 won't work on Dongle? How Aircel ppl knows whether i'm using dongle or mobile? :annoyed: Shouldn't all packs work irrespective of the device?

Not sure why you are facing the problems, but the Rs 8/17 packs work perfectly with dongles, I've been using these plans for past 2-3 months

They don't really differentiate phone/dongle users.

Hey Guys

Last week, i got my new Aircel SIM activated and tried it on unlocked Reliance 3G Dongle (ZTE MF190). I've activated 2G unlimited internet with Rs 98 pack, the reliance dialer shows up EDGE network with 256Kbps bandwith but i was getting really pathetic speeds as the bandwidth never crossed 60Kbps on EDGE in my area. Just 3 days ago i activated 3G on the same sim and the dialer now shows up HSPA with 7.2 Mbps bandwith. I'm constantly getting 128Kps on the same 98 Pack which is obvious as i didn't recharge with any 3G packs. Now, since morning when i was browsing the network automatically got disconnected, whenever i click 'connect' tab in dialer, it gets connected but after 1-2 secs the network disconnects itself. After checking 3G plans on Aircel website, 3G packs available for Dongle starts at Rs 198, while for mobile 3G packs starts at Rs 8.

Now my question is

1) Why i'm not been able to connect to internet despite that it was working fine for the past 3 days. I'm wondering have Aircel caught me using 2G plans on 3G device or is it they allow it to work for only 3 days.

2) Do i need to recharge Rs 198 pack to make 3G work on Dongle? Why Mobile packs say Rs 8 or 17 won't work on Dongle? How Aircel ppl knows whether i'm using dongle or mobile? :annoyed: Shouldn't all packs work irrespective of the device?

Do you have any balance left in your number?

Aircel billing is quite smart. If you are using any 2G pack(Rs.48/Rs.98) but activate 3G and use 3G connection, money will be deducted from your balance(This happened with me).
Most likely your balance has been reduced to zero and so you are not being able to connect.

Do you have any balance left in your number?

Aircel billing is quite smart. If you are using any 2G pack(Rs.48/Rs.98) but activate 3G and use 3G connection, money will be deducted from your balance(This happened with me).
Most likely your balance has been reduced to zero and so you are not being able to connect.

I actually had zero balance right from the activation. I paid Rs 100 for the new sim and got Rs 81.50 balance credited under DA12 when checking with *126#. Yesterday evening, I activated Rs 8 pack online and instantly received message from Aircel about the confirmation, still i'm experiencing the same problem. But, when i change the network preference in dialer from 3G to 2G i.e EDGE, it gets connected.

After reading your reply, i recharge Rs 20 and now my available balance was Rs 18. Luckly it got connected in HSPA mode but the balance vanished in secs while opening facebook and techenclave. Looks like we can't use 2G plan under 3G mode or else balance would get deducted. I wonder what happen to my Rs 8 Pack that i recharged yesterday evening, it should have been still alive by now as its validity is for one day.

Edit: I also tried Airtel SIM which is 3G activated, its 2G works fine with HSPA without balance deduction.

I actually had zero balance right from the activation. I paid Rs 100 for the new sim and got Rs 81.50 balance credited under DA12 when checking with *126#. Yesterday evening, I activated Rs 8 pack online and instantly received message from Aircel about the confirmation, still i'm experiencing the same problem. But, when i change the network preference in dialer from 3G to 2G i.e EDGE, it gets connected.

After reading your reply, i recharge Rs 20 and now my available balance was Rs 18. Luckly it got connected in HSPA mode but the balance vanished in secs while opening facebook and techenclave. Looks like we can't use 2G plan under 3G mode or else balance would get deducted. I wonder what happen to my Rs 8 Pack that i recharged yesterday evening, it should have been still alive by now as its validity is for one day.

Edit: I also tried Airtel SIM which is 3G activated, its 2G works fine with HSPA without balance deduction.

Are you saying that if you use a 2G pack on Airtel SIM, you can get 3G speed if you have 3G activated?

Are you saying that if you use a 2G pack on Airtel SIM, you can get 3G speed if you have 3G activated?

Yes, thats what is being discussed. But you are charged extra for 3G :p

However, on my visits to out of Mumbai with 3G - HSPA/HSPA+ phones, I am on the Docomo network, I get 3G/4G connecivity in the status, however, speeds are still EDGE and balance gets cut from data balance only. Docomo does not have 3G in Mumbai. However, speeds are a bit improved compared to Mumbai.

I think aircel gives 50 or 100 mb for a recharge of 8rs plan. Now the data is used and they are deducting from the main balance

No, i get around 80-100Kbps bandwidth with HSPA on Rs 98 2G pack without balance deduction but same doesn't seem to work with Aircel.
I think aircel gives 50 or 100 mb for a recharge of 8rs plan. Now the data is used and they are deducting from the main balance
Yes they give 50MB with one day validity but for mobiles only. I did online recharge of same pack but still was not able to connect to 3G, looks to me the pack works for mobiles only in my circle. I will try Rs 17 pack today and will report back in the evening.

Update: I got Rs 17 pack activated, now 3G works fine on my unlocked Reliance dongle. I'm getting 400-450 kBps @ 3.6Mbps bandwidth.

^ The 8/17 3G packs works fine on dongles, I have tried it in Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka circles. Sometimes it takes few minutes to an hour to get activated which may be the reason you were not able to connect.

@vivek.krishnan For a moment I thought someone had found a loophole in Airtel's system.
I have a lot of faith in Airtel on having a loophole or two in their system. Back in 2008-09, used their Rs.104 NOP service with my PC(the service was meant to be used only with phones). Also I had free GPRS for almost 7-8 months. They simply forgot to deduct money from my balance :yahoo:

I just love Airtel :hail:

Last edited by a moderator:
vivek.krishnan For a moment I thought someone had found a loophole in Airtel's system.
I have a lot of faith in Airtel on having a loophole or two in their system. Back in 2008-09, used their Rs.104 NOP service with my PC(the service was meant to be used only with phones). Also I had free GPRS for almost 7-8 months. They simply forgot to deduct money from my balance :yahoo:

I just love Airtel :hail:

I used a similar loophole, free GPRS ;)

Plus from Docomo about 2 years back, extended GPRS validity. I could use a 6GB 95 rs pack normally with a one month validity for about 6 months.

Back