Laptops Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 SF315-41 no HDMI out - only black screen

kuduku

Skilled
Hi
I have a Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 SF315-41
Config is AMD Ryzen 5 2500U + 8GB DDR4 Soldered RAM + 512GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
Issue is Laptop display working fine but secondary display connected through HDMI out of laptop gives only Black screen
Second connected display device shown correctly in Windows Dual display settings . It recognizes the device & shows its details but no display
If one switches second display ON/OFF or auto select source video comes for 5 sec then it screen get's pixelated with green colour & again goes black
Another thing which happens when HDMI out is connected - As soon as HDMI out connected , Power gets disconnected , even when power adapter is connected & was working before connecting HDMI
To get power back removing the adapter and connecting doesnt work but have to reset power by removing from source or switching off power switch

This action leads me to believe there should be some short in HDMI in mother board . Google has not helped
I have tried Win 11 and Win 10
I have tried with Dell 1080P Monitor and LG 4K LED TV
I have tried with Graphics driver from Acer website to latest from AMD website

3 different Cables
Then likely hardware issue so get it checked at some laptop repair shop as suggested. Also, I would suggest you to get a new laptop because usually a laptop's life nowadays is 3-5 years or when it develops hardware issue after warranty period whichever is earlier.

Also, I would suggest you to get a new laptop because usually a laptop's life nowadays is 3-5 years or when it develops hardware issue after warranty period whichever is earlier.
OP's laptop works perfectly with external display being the only issue. This is a non-issue for most people since laptops are primarily used with the laptop display. I hope laptops are not dumped this fast as it increases e-waste.

OP's laptop works perfectly with external display being the only issue. This is a non-issue for most people since laptops are primarily used with the laptop display. I hope laptops are not dumped this fast as it increases e-waste.
If his guess about short in mobo somewhere is right then it is only going to get worse with time & you don't want your laptop to go bad just after the biggest sales of the year (bbd/gis/diwali) are over. By getting new laptop I am not suggesting to dump old laptop (who does that anyway) as most preferred option is to sell it or use it as secondary pc for something else (nas, docker, linux experiments etc). Once a laptop goes completely bad then only it goes to e-dump at least in India.

Not buying a new laptop for this issue , not spending 30k for this
I did not suggest to buy a new laptop immediately but rather I meant keep an eye on good laptop deals during bbd/gis sale later this year. Also, your laptop is 2500u so I am guessing it is at least 3 years old & out of warranty for which I mentioned "I would suggest you to get a new laptop because usually a laptop's life nowadays is 3-5 years or when it develops hardware issue after warranty period whichever is earlier".

Could try booting up a linux live version to rule out software causes, although the power disconnection seems to make it unlikely. If it's hardware, I guess the only options are repair or, just get a USB C to HDMI adapter and use that.

Could try booting up a linux live version to rule out software causes, although the power disconnection seems to make it unlikely. If it's hardware, I guess the only options are repair or, just get a USB C to HDMI adapter and use that.
Thats a new approach , have Live CDS , Will spin up rufus

Back