Acer Aspire 4530 Review

I have had the Acer Aspire 4530 for sometime now. It has the following configuration:
1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60, 2 x 1 Gb RAM, 160GB Hard Disk, Nvidia 9100m integrated GPU (256 MB Dedicated + 256 Shared from system) 512 MB VRAM, 14.1 inch widescreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, DVD Writer, Webcam, 3 usb ports and the other usual ports and card readers.

First thing I noticed was the full jet black body of the laptop and the gemstone exterior. It looks good and futuristic. Absolutely for someone who’s into movies and gaming. I loaded Windows XP +SP2 in it and it worked smoothly and without a hitch. I also used Vista Inspirat pack on it and did various Windows XP optimizations and registry hacks to startup and shutdown windows faster. Available RAM after startup was 1.3 GB RAM since 256 MB RAM from the system is given to the GPU also. The keyboard works well and is responsive and the touchpad has vertical and horizontal scrolling built into it. I bought a Belkin laptop cooling pad after a few days when I noticed that after gaming, GPU temperature rose close to 100 C. As it is the place I am staying at is warm. When I moved to a cooler location these were the temperatures at idle using the Belkin cooling pad beneath it:
CPU – 51-55C (in load doesn’t change much)
GPU – 58-64C (80C in load)
HDD – 40-49C

I ran some games and these are the stats:
UT 2004 (1280X800 full details @ 32bit colour and 4X AF) –68 FPS avg in CTF Face Classic with 7 bots –42 FPS avg in various Onslaught maps with 11 bots
NFS MW worked smooth at 1024x768 with high details but car details low.
F.E.A.R worked smoothly @ 1024x768 with all high details except shader at medium.
AOE II Conquerers and CS:CZ work well and don’t heat up the GPU even while running. The GPU runs at 169 MHz in default but while gaming it increases to full capacity to 450 MHz or so. I have checked from the net that the GPU will also run COD 4 at low settings and Gears of War at medium settings @1024x768 resolution.

The screen quality with standard 1280x800 resolution is very good and it looks glossy and seriously, this laptop is the best available config at this price point. No other company gives a decent GPU/ chipset at this pricepoint.

Bluetooth works well when I use the laptop to transfer from and to my mobile Samsung E-250 but I have not been able to transfer to the laptop using my phone’s interface. The webcam is decent and internet ran smooth while using the Ethernet port. The speakers are powerful for a laptop and generally I could watch any movie without using a headset or external speaker. Video playback is smooth. The one and only gripe is the low battery life of 1.5 :S hours (even when doing basic net surfing and LCD brightness at lowest). This is to be used only when connected to external power.

I bought it in Mumbai for Rs 33.5K (including 1.5k for extra ram). Guess it may be available cheaper elsewhere. But overall good value for money, good looks and good performance given the specifications. It is sufficient to suit my gaming and movie watching needs. A must buy at this price point.

UPDATES
1. WiFi tested by making a adhoc network with another Aspire 4530 in the same room. LAN Gaming is smooth and 6 GB data transfer between the two laptops in one hour.
2. One other disadvantage i found was that the outer edge of only the audio jack was plastic coated. The other two audio ports including mic port gave me electric shocks:mad: whenever i touched them by mistake!! My friend has the same laptop and this also happened to him.
3. It comes with its own DVD of drivers for Windows XP and Vista. I tried running Slax Linux Live but it didn't initialize. So Linux support is questionable.
4. Warhammer 40k:Dawn of War runs awesome and smooth at 1280x800 at highest graphics.
5. Sound of the laptop speakers started cracking for a few days in December. Then it got okay. Nowdays I feel that somehow volume is slightly lower than what it used to be. Now I mostly watch stuff using external speakers.
6. Latest Update CnC3 Tiberium Wars Limited Edition runs cool @ 1280x800 with all effects high except Shader at low and Shadows at off.

PS: The standard model comes with only 1 GB Ram.

Picture List Removed as picture attachment limit was crossed for my most recent review

to ur 29.x k rs add 1.5 k for extra 1gb ram and i also added the laptop cooler (2000rs) with the total price of the laptop coz its really needed as laptop heats up a lot

I've had this laptop a couple of months. Added 2 GB of RAM and running Vista 32 Ultimate.

Perfect for regular home use. Quite zippy and with a beautiful screen and aesthetically pleasing. Battery life makes mobility questionable.

Not had any issues with heating. But then I don't game much.

Please do post a few pics...Reps pending until pics..:)

Can any one give details on the cpu?

what is it comparable to on the intel mobile cpu line up?

Its a nice successor to the Acer Aspire 4520 with a very competitive pricing. Does this laptop have any optional battery packs?

I have given links to the pics at the end of the review. I don't have net at home and cannot upload them from office. Try googling also for pic or check the Experster link.

i have already mentioned battery life in review. 1.5 hrs max even in low cpu load and lowest lcd brightness+GPU speed at lowest default of 169MHz.

Sorry avvs_2099, I somehow missed those lines about battery life in the review! Some of the other people who have 4530 seemed to have similar problem with battery life. But following some charging-discharging routine it seemed to improve appreciably. Following is what I found in most comprehensive review of 4530 by Expertester. May be you already did that, and still the battery life is poor :(

"Okay, for battery life, if you read the manual, it clearly state that you need to charge and discharge it 3 times before it start to shine. Charge it when your lappy turn off. When the charge is full, disconnect it from electric source and use this notebook until if fully discharge (disable hibernate if possible). It will auto shutdown. And repeat this step. Don’t worry much about memory effect….as Li-Ion battery has no issue on this one.

From batteryUniversity website, I read that, to prolong batter performance, it is advisable to remove the battery if you are going to use that laptop using home electric. Fully charge battery + hot temperature will reduce its charge cycle. I myself, only plug the battery when I am going to use it outside from my house."

I think the bad battery backup of ur laptop is due to the fact that you are using a laptop cooling pad which draws its power through the USB port. So definately, battery life is going to be decreased.

@avvs_2009 Plz use ur laptop without the cooling pad and report what battery backup u are getting.

hey dude congrats for d new lappy yup its a best vfm right now...i m having 4520....n its working great 4 my requirements.....just 1 thing...do 203 times of complete discharge n charge..it will amazingly improve ur battery life.....mine is 5 months old n i m able 2 get 2 hours 20 mins of movie watchin on dis widout any trouble.....

Back