A Windows Phone 7 handset for around 20K?

Hello people,

A friend wants to buy a new mobile sometime in the next one-two weeks. She's really keen on buying a WP7 handset and her budget is 20K (although she can extend it a couple of grands more).

Noe, she doesn't want anything from the grey market. She doesn't want anything shady. I don't understand this business of "unlocked" either so I can't help her out in that regard. She basically wants to buy something over-the-counter in a perfectly legit manner.

Feature-wise, the only "demand" she has made is that of a Super AMOLED screen, but even that's not necessarily a deal-breaker. She isn't too keen on a QWERTY keyboard, which is the only thing against the Dell Venue Pro as of now.

I heard that Samsung had launched the Omnia 7 in India a couple of days ago. Is that true? I read that the price for it is Rs. 19,990. If it is indeed so then that's just about the perfect phone for her.

Can anyone suggest a good handset? A good place in Mumbai (that's where she lives) where can pick up said handset (or any of the two I mentioned above)? Any other thing you can think of that would help?

Thanks in advance!

not sure omnia is out in the market yet. id rather wait for the nokia WiMo phones which are coming out in the middle of november. they might have 2 instruments coming out, 15k and 20k.

I know a lot of good handsets are coming out in the coming months. Nokia is actually planning to bring out 3 handsets. HTC will bring 2 and Samsung will bring some too. But none of them are coming out till mid-November, apparently. My friend can't wait that long because she has NO phone right now. She has to buy one ASAP.

So there is no way we can get the Omnia 7 in India right now? I saw a listing on eBay - SAMSUNG FOCUS I917- WP7, 4 inch SUPER AMOLED DISPLAY!! | eBay Is this good? Any opinions, people?

And what about the other WP7 handsets that have been out for long? The 1st-gen HTC handsets? Any other Samsung models available? LG?

BTW, could anyone answer this about the Dell Venue Pro: It may have a QWERTY keyboard, but it's perfectly functional *without* using it too, right? Like, if I want, I could rely on just the touchscreen?

^^^

Yes i have a Dell venue Pro and i rarely ever slide it open...

It is fully functional without the slide open.

One of the best WP7 phone,Highly Recommended.

Build Quality is amazing

lazygarfield said:
I know a lot of good handsets are coming out in the coming months. Nokia is actually planning to bring out 3 handsets. HTC will bring 2 and Samsung will bring some too. But none of them are coming out till mid-November, apparently. My friend can't wait that long because she has NO phone right now. She has to buy one ASAP.

So there is no way we can get the Omnia 7 in India right now? I saw a listing on eBay - SAMSUNG FOCUS I917- WP7, 4 inch SUPER AMOLED DISPLAY!! | eBay Is this good? Any opinions, people?

And what about the other WP7 handsets that have been out for long? The 1st-gen HTC handsets? Any other Samsung models available? LG?

BTW, could anyone answer this about the Dell Venue Pro: It may have a QWERTY keyboard, but it's perfectly functional *without* using it too, right? Like, if I want, I could rely on just the touchscreen?

Look for Samsung Focus review by RVK2488 - http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/samsung-focus-wp7-mango-beta-2-a-197622.html. He pretty much covered the whole thing in and out. The phone is absolutely good and with Super Amoled screen, it is better than other windows phone at the moment. The good thing with windows phone is that nearly all phones have same specs with minor difference here and there. Also Samsung focus is the only windows phone with Super Amoled screen. You can get Samsung forcus for 10-12k if you talk to right people :)

Dell Venue Pro is also good, since there is not much difference between it and other models. Yes, it is functional without qwerty keypad because you can use on screen keypad. Also the screen size is big enough to use on screen keypad.

My suggestion would be Buy a Cheaper Phone May be Worth 2-3k from TE use it for a month and then again sell it in Mid NOvember ON TE for 200-300 less

and hence you can buy a good WP7 in mid-November

Keep an EYE on HTC , AFAIK nokia won't LAUNCH BEFORE DECEMBER , since they have not officially Declared it yet and they will take a month

after Announcing to Get it To The MArket

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Samsung FOCUS is a Grey MArket IMPORT in india and he has ALready mentioned he doesn't need's 'em

@lazygarfield

If you need Omnia 7, you can order it on Amazon and get it delivered via SNS or ICC. Should take about a week in total. Other good options are Focus, HD7, Optimus 7, Venue Pro.

I have used / am using Focus and Optimus 7. So I can confidently recommend these two. I bought Optimus 7 via Amazon (Seller Wireless Everything - which is selling it for $244.44 currently). Focus was bought through agantuk (eBay.com auction)

@aradhakr84

You are forgetting Omnia 7 which also has SAMOLED ;)

Back