A tab for senior citizen

kenkanya

Disciple
Do recommend a tablet for senior citizen with the following requirements:

1. Games (not graphics intensive)
2. Browsing
3. Need a 3G data support. (There is no Wifi spot available and hence 100% to be used with 3G data card)
4. Will primarily be used for web browsing and games and some videos.
5. To be used by Senior citizen.( 7" inch is fine).

They are not a technology freak! A tab that can be as simple as possible for them to do what they want to (watching videos, browsing, some basic/mid level games)

The lower the cost is better.

5. To be used by Senior citizen.( 7" inch is fine).
Sure 7" is fine ? i'd reccommend a 10 incher.

10 inch is a landscape reader, 7-9.7 inch is a portrait reader.

landscape is two handed, portrait is one handed.

For reading landscape is better and easier. Bigger screen means bigger fonts means easier to read from further way means an all around easier reading experience. A4 will display in the same dimension in landscape as in real life.

However for games, depending on which kind, some will be portrait others landscape. You will have to see which games they use and what orientation.

a 10 incher in portrait is unwieldy.

The lower the cost is better.
Get the one that they are most comfortable with and work your budget to fit. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
I would also say 10" ones, i personally hate 7" ones for surfing and such. For portability and videos it is fine for me.
But i love surfing on my iPad more than my nexus7.

@raksrules, @blr_p - thanks.

Do recommend the brands. They are new to games and any small, medium games (that come free) is fine. Not that they are gamers. But to just use their time. Mostly it would be surfing net and then some videos.

I would suggest getting any product which is more reliable and asks for premium for it. Since it it going to be used by a senior citizen, I do not believe s/he would like to haggle around service center or just be unable to fix something if something goes wrong. Though I too feel that ~10" would be ideal for his/her eyes, but going by requirements, even Nexus 7 first gen fits your bill perfectly - if you are open to buy a used one.

Thanks again. But Nexus 7 first gen support 3G? Is there any sim slot? (I understand it has to be rooted and not looking for such "rooting". Should be simple enough - buy, insert sim, start surfing and upload some videos and watch them, play some games) Not looking for Apple - because its above budget. My budget the lower the better. Yes even used one is fine. My requirements is only those mentioned above.

I'm happy with my note 10.1. The stylus comes in handy with some websites where my finger is too big to click anything. This is one thing you notice very quickly when you move from ultra-precise mouse pointing to poking the screen with stubby fingers.

I think you should up your budget. My tab gets used every day, now well over a year since i got it. The folio case i got free from samsung has been very useful.

toxic had picked up a windows tab sometime back for around 30k. That seemed quite vfm. It had a keyboard with a detachable screen. hmm, no 3g support with that.

Thanks again. But Nexus 7 first gen support 3G? Is there any sim slot? (I understand it has to be rooted and not looking for such "rooting". Should be simple enough - buy, insert sim, start surfing and upload some videos and watch them, play some games) Not looking for Apple - because its above budget. My budget the lower the better. Yes even used one is fine. My requirements is only those mentioned above.

There is SIM slot in Nexus 7 3G first gen. It accepts Micro-SIM. Rooting stuff is for using dongle via OTG, IIRC.

I think you are referring to Nexus 7C, right? Only that has a SIM slot. Nexus 7 2012 (WIFI) does not have it. Nexus 7 2012 WIFI is cheaper than Nexus 7C.
Do correct me if iam wrong. I understand its 7C?

Do recommend any 3G data access tab and based on my requirement. For now, iam ok with 7" inch. Just browsing, and video watch. A good after sales service is a must.

I think you are referring to Nexus 7C, right? Only that has a SIM slot. Nexus 7 2012 (WIFI) does not have it. Nexus 7 2012 WIFI is cheaper than Nexus 7C.
Do correct me if iam wrong. I understand its 7C?

Yes, I m referring to Nexus 7C. Since it has 3G it is costlier than the one with WiFi only.

I wouldn't recommend a 7" unit for a senior.

My mum loves my 9.7" Pipo, she is quite comfortable watching videos and selecting furniture or appliances (she can't use it, just passive reading).

Also, these are not exactly going to be held in the hand for a long time, usually will be kept on a bed, sofa or table. The weight is not good for arthritic and weaker hands.

The 10" and nearabout screens would be best for poorer eyesight. Would not recommend a 'Retina' tablet. This is one place where I break from tradition and recommend iPad. The older generation iPads are perfect for older people, just the right screen size and easy for a rank novice. And thousands of apps. Little pricey, but given the typical usage it will last forever.

7" I would never prefer.
10" please. Do not buy 7" please.
I have nexus 7 and I don't like surfing web etc and use only for videos.
I love using iPad for web surfing and using apps.

Lenovo A3000 if you need calling as well. Nice loud speaker. Spec wise it doesn't look great but overall it's good use experience with nice display, sound

Back