A replacement for the ONU + router setup ?

ReVo_007

#techie
ex-Mod
So my current setup looks somewhat like this, not very ideal for generator backed up (as there is a short downtime which can be mitigated by a UPS) and keep things as open-sourced as possible. My ISP is local ISPs like alliance/wishnet/pmpl, they provide a syrotech or similar ONU to convert the optical to Ethernet (I don't know the technical terms here).

HOME_LAN_SETUP.jpg

Here I am running two ubiquiti APs over PoE (adapters placed near the router), and I am running a Linksys WRT1900AC as the non PoE powered access point (can be unplugged if the rest of the system works in covering the area), the router is an old TP-Link WDR3600 (its running for like a decade now!! So impressed with this hardware)

My aim is to reduce the overall power consumption and add support for an LTE failover with a router running openWRT and having a USB, multiple VLANs for guest and iot network.

The major questions I have is can we replace the ONU with SFP OLT converter and having a router with SFP support ?
Something like this
Syrotech 20KM 1.25G 1310 Single Mode Single Fiber SFP Module - Pair
and
Ubiquiti Networks Advanced Gigabit 6-port Router with PoE and SFP or MikroTik hEX S Gigabit Ethernet Router with SFP Port (RB760iGS)

The one with PoE will be a better solution but has added cost to it (will take a call based on budget and if I can source these cheaper)

Thanks in advance!

Buy a Intel NUC, one model with 4gb ram and 64gb storage is selling at 8k (was selling for nearly 5k before) on fk.
Run pfsense on it, it has usb ports so you can do lte failover.

Add a managed switch with poe and create two vlans, one for onu and one for intel nuc. (search router on a stick).
Connect all poe ap to that switch.
Now you only have to connect 3 devices to power (nuc, isp onu, switch). you can try running the onu using poe splitter that splits the poe into power and ethernet port.

For sfp module.

Last edited:
Buy a Intel NUC, one model with 4gb ram and 64gb storage is selling at 8k (was selling for nearly 5k before) on fk.
Run pfsense on it, it has usb ports so you can do lte failover.

Add a managed switch with poe and create two vlans, one for onu and one for intel nuc. (search router on a stick).
Connect all poe ap to that switch.
Now you only have to connect 3 devices to power (nuc, isp onu, switch). you can try running the onu using poe splitter that splits the poe into power and ethernet port.

For sfp module.
Thanks for the response, just a quick question, will the Intel NUC be a better option than a Raspberry Pi 4 8 GB ? I plan to run a seed box on it as well if possible. I have the pi with me right now and a USB LAN adapter.

Thanks for the response, just a quick question, will the Intel NUC be a better option than a Raspberry Pi 4 8 GB ? I plan to run a seed box on it as well if possible. I have the pi with me right now and a USB LAN adapter.
I would suggest keeping your router as simple as possible. Native pfsense wont be able to run seed box afaik, but you can run pfsense in a vm alongside with seedbox.

From a technical perspective this is doable. But it is equally dependent on your ISPs technical capabilities, when troubleshooting time comes.

I have learned the hard way, that best leave ISP end devices to themselves. Then they have no reason to point fingers when issues come. Ideally, put the ISP devices in bridge mode and call it a day. You will also get a visual indicator of issues such as LOS

Router - take one from TP Link OMADA or DIY with pfsense/opnsense/openwrt. Configure all policies properly. If you go with DIY, you can also have a separate interface with always ON VPN plus proper routing. Additionally, you might need a VLAN aware switch.

4G router - as of now, I have not seen any cheap 4G router work in bridge mode. So doubt NAT is going to be there for sure. 2 options here depending on your earlier decision.

A. Buy a Huawei/CP Plus/etc 4G router with LAN out, configure properly and setup with router earlier - policies etc.
B1. DIY approach - take a cheap router like MR3020 or Dlink 505 which supports USB, build openwrt with usb RNDIS support/use a distro like ROOTer and configure. Allows you to even use your phone for tethering, considering that 5G right now is unlimited*. Port forwarding can be done, but a bit tricky.
B2. If you did a DIY router approach, then you can also use this directly with the router, provided you have the usb software module support built in. Just check if the interface will come back up even if phone disconnected. Advantage on this would be IPv6 routing as well, if done properly, can avoid double NAT plus easier port forwarding.

Or buy a mikrotik router with sfp ports and poe support also....there is a learning curve which u will eventually be going to have in any case if making changes....but man once setup...works damn good without break and even after multiple reboots....i am myself considering moving to same type of setup but this setup is also working good at home.....i will be setting it up with telegram bot also whenever there is link failure or isp failure or when failover happens.

I did reach out to the local operators, SFP would be a possibility if I get a direct line from the main distribution, but since they do not have the infrastructure placed nearby running it along would cost quite much. dropping the plan as of now, went with a pine64 + 5 port POE + ONU which is a sort of clean. Looking at rpi 4 2gb or later NUCs to replace the pine64.

Back