A question about M.2-to-USB adapters

Pimpom

Disciple
Sep 4, 2010
I want to buy an M.2-to-USB adapter and I have a question for those who are using or have used this type of product. Here's a sample but my question is not really about this particular model.

I intend to use the adapter as a general purpose tool rather than with one SSD permanently fitted in it. These adapters seem to have some kind of pad for transferring heat to the case or an internal heatsink. My question is: Is the pad reusable when swapping drives or does it have some kind of adhesive for sticking it to the SSD chip(s)?

john1911

Adept
Jun 4, 2014
The thermal pads can be reused 3-4 times but might break / tear if frequently removed/reattached. They are available for cheap online.

They are not compulsory, you can do without them too.

Pimpom

Disciple
Sep 4, 2010
The thermal pads can be reused 3-4 times but might break / tear if frequently removed/reattached.
Thanks a lot for clearing that doubt.
They are available for cheap online.
Great. Never though of searching for them.
They are not compulsory, you can do without them too.
As a long time pro-cum-enthusiast in applied electronics, I know that anything using power heats up to some extent. Still, bare NVMes manage quite well in the warm environment near all the other heat producing components inside a desktop cabinet. On the other hand, some people make a lot of fuss about NVMe SSDs getting very hot in an adapter. I guess it's because such enclosures are more accessible to the touch than internal drives.

Reactions: john1911