A good WIFI router with usb support

Can you tell me which 5Ghz dongle you intend to use with the wdtv ?

How do you even know it will be compatible.

I have a WDTV , it's simply awful compared to my other media player AC Ryan. You can attach the d link dwa 131 dongle to the USB port for the wifi.

Let me tell you it's got very poor signal pickup. Unless you plan to have the router in the same room as the WDTV don't think about it. Each time to make matters worse you need to connect to the network when you turn it on. That remote what a pain it is.
5Ghz has even more poor signal penetration compared to 2.6g so I can't get it to work even from the next room via a E4200.
After a lot or experience let me say this HD streaming just use a wired LAN never depend on wifi unless its in the same room.

I have a WDTV , it's simply awful compared to my other media player AC Ryan. You can attach the d link dwa 131 dongle to the USB port for the wifi.
Which dongle do you use with the ac ryan ?

D-link you mentioned is a nano model so the range ain't going to be great at all.

Let me tell you it's got very poor signal pickup. Unless you plan to have the router in the same room as the WDTV don't think about it. Each time to make matters worse you need to connect to the network when you turn it on. That remote what a pain it is.
5Ghz has even more poor signal penetration compared to 2.6g so I can't get it to work even from the next room via a E4200.
After a lot or experience let me say this HD streaming just use a wired LAN never depend on wifi unless its in the same room.
A wifi dongle isn't the best thing to use here as its fixed to the device and cannot be oriented for better range. People have used extension cables upto 5 feet but the results are mixed.

Better is to use a bridge. Much better reception than a dinky dongle. Check out the 801ND or 901ND. Linksys also offers one (WES610) for dual band but at double the price and dual band isn't really required unless you cannot use 2.4ghz. The range as you noted is shorter as well.

So long as your device has an ethernet connection you can wifi enable any device using a bridge. No driver issues to worry about. The device thinks its attached to a wire and has no clue beyond that. In this way you can position the bridge anywhere for better reception. Use as long an ethernet cable as you want. You should get a consistent signal in the 20-30Mbs (possibly higher) as its an N300 device. So HD (avg ~5Mbs) should work fine, not full HD though.

A bridge is much more convenient than having wifi included in the device as you can pick and choose which bridge to use and are free to position it anywhere. After this its down to how good your router is. An E4200 should be very good.

Last edited:
Which dongle do you use with the ac ryan ?

D-link you mentioned is a nano model so the range ain't going to be great at all.

An E4200 should be very good.

Same dongle works with the Ac Ryan also. There are few USB dongles which do work this is one of them.

At least my E4200 simply does not, after spending so much finally the range is worse than the WRT 54GS it replaced. Maybe this has something to do with the concrete construction and walls in between. Personally I feel I should I just wired for gigabit LAN instead of depending on the router for streaming.

Copied from another site

The ACRyan wireless dongle doesn't just use any Realtek driver. So if your dongle is Realtek based, it doesn't mean it works out of the box with de PlayonHD. The original dongle is to my knowledge a Realtek RTL8192S Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Network Adapter.

The same driver is also used by Realtek for the RTL8192SU, RTL8188SU, RTL8191SU and RTL8192GU Wireless Network Adapters. If these all work with the ACRyan PlayonHD is beyond my knowledge, but they probably do......

If you examen the inf-file of the original driver, the dongles here below should surely work:

"Corega CG-WLUSBNM"
"Corega CG-WLUSB300NM"
"D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N USB Adapter(rev.C2)"
"D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N USB Adapter"
"D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter"
"EnGenius 802.11n Wireless USB Adapter"
"Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter"
"Belkin Basic Wireless USB Adapter"
"Belkin Connect Wireless USB Adapter"
"Hercules Wireless N Mini USB Key"
"Edimax 802.11n Wireless USB Adapter"
"Sitecom Wireless Nano USB Adapter 150N WL-353"
"Sitecom Wireless High-Gain USB Adapter 300N X2 WL-356"
"Sitecom 150N Wireless USB adapter WL-349v2"
"Sitecom 150N Wireless USB adapter WL-349v3"
"Sitecom 300N Wireless USB Adapter WL-352v2"
"Sitecom 300N Wireless USB Adapter WL-352v3"
"Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-N Dish Adapter"
"Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter"
"ASUS EZ N 802.11b/g/n Wireless USB Adapter"
"ASUS WL-167G V3"
"Amigo 802.11n Wireless USB Card"
"Zinwell 802.11b/g/n USB Wireless LAN Card"
"Sweex LW154 Wireless 150N Nano Adapter USB"
"Logitec LAN-W150N/U2 Wireless LAN Adapter"

Please note that for instance the "Corega CG WLUSBNM" is also sold as the "SABRENT USB A11N WIRELESS ADAPTER" and also as the "TRENDNET TEW 649UB WIRELESS".
The "Corega CG-WLUSB300NM" is also sold as the Asus USB-N10 and some more.

So as stated before, the above wireless dongles should surely work. But probably many, many more.........
as long as your wireless dongle uses the same driver as the Realtek RTL8192S and equivalents.

Same dongle works with the Ac Ryan also. There are few USB dongles which do work this is one of them.
It isn't a very good one. And thats because your choice of finding a compatible one is pretty difficult. The wd page lists dongles with versions that came out years ago.

At least my E4200 simply does not, after spending so much finally the range is worse than the WRT 54GS it replaced. Maybe this has something to do with the concrete construction and walls in between. Personally I feel I should I just wired for gigabit LAN instead of depending on the router for streaming.
Why don't you tell us more about the underlined bit. How far away is the wdtv from the E4200 and how many walls in between (say whether they are 6 inch or 11 inch).

Doubtless a wired connection is better but in your case the primary problem is at the client end i think. Dongles stuck at the back of a device that is close to a tv isn't going to get very good range and the people that make these devices intend them to be used for web browsing and not streaming. That's not to say it cannot be done.[DOUBLEPOST=1378403538][/DOUBLEPOST]
So as stated before, the above wireless dongles should surely work. But probably many, many more.........
as long as your wireless dongle uses the same driver as the Realtek RTL8192S and equivalents.
Only impressive dongle there is the hawking, the rest are all basic.

They work, how well and for what purpose is the question. Most people i find here want to do more than just browse the web.

Bridge gets around this mess quite well.

The facts you've stated are rather light in detail. We know what doesn't work. You don't seem interested to find out why but never mind.

Now tell us what does work.

What do you use to stream your content now then. What is your solution. Wired ? You ain't done that yet.

So that leaves you with the ac ryan. Using the same dongle but somehow gets better performane. How much better. What is it good for. What can you stream with it.

Last edited:
The facts you've stated are rather light in detail. We know what doesn't work. You don't seem interested to find out why but never mind.

Simple lack of wireless signal 40% , not only on the dongle but also on most other wifi devices , which i am not inclined to explain further
before you comment further have already done various things changed channels, router placement, site survey, tried different routers , antennas , wireless repeaters and what not!!

Wired to 100 mpbps + wired access points now
No i don't stream content now, i did try when i bought the router , no i don't intend to do so for the time being later yes.
have 3 x 2 TB seagate external drives , which are swappable from the seagate cradle i just use that.
Most content is HD 1080p 3-5 gb files haven;t got the patience to sit and create a NAS using a raspberry pi , thats for later.
Yes i read your bridge will keep that it mind.However please understand signal attenuation is different for different homes and i am not really in a mood to continue the discussion,.but thanks you for the comments.

Most content is HD 1080p 3-5 gb files
So you have full HD files and that is where you had the problem. This goes back to what i said on the other page.

If the avg bitrates are >8Mbs you are going to have trouble with wifi, even with N300. Even with a bridge because streaming full HD will need 50-60Mbs. You can't get that with N300. N450 might just do it but both router & N450 client have to be in the same room. Besides there are no N450 clients i'm aware of. So streaming full HD through wifi will need AC on both ends.

It really depends how high the peak rates go, some files might not need that much. HD that is 720p or below or files that avg 5-6Mbs should be workable with a good client.

Simple lack of wireless signal 40% , not only on the dongle but also on most other wifi devices , which i am not inclined to explain further
If other wifi devices also lose signal then you have additional factors involved.

40% signal means 60% loss ? near the router you get a signal level of 30-40dbM.

60% on that means 48-64 dbm. You should be able to get decent throughput in the 60-70dbm range with decent clients, a laptop say. Beyond ie 70-80dbm will be lower.

Wired to 100 mpbps + wired access points now
No i don't stream content now, i did try when i bought the router , no i don't intend to do so for the time being later yes.
have 3 x 2 TB seagate external drives , which are swappable from the seagate cradle i just use that.
Wired will work if you want to stream as is. If you want to use wifi, you will have to re-encode to 720p with something like plex, will need a powerful pc to do that in a timely manner. Though in your case its best to go with wired.

Last edited:
Dude thank you for all of the above most of which is known to me already, i don't recall asking for help.Other than suggesting to keep the router in the same room as the dongle.Anyways not really concerned to continue the conversation as i mentioned earlier . have a great day bye

I am the one being quoted and questioned. Despite me explicitly saying am not interested in any further conversation yet you persist. Good god!!

lso many of them have suggested the asus n13ub1, is it that good ? _ NO. bcos the wired lan is just 10/100, i wouldnt like that ( & I have a asus N13 router)

@Crazy_Eddy : Kindly please fork this thread.

@others The signal levels are dependent on both the router and the wifi client end.

There are N450 wifi cards. If you know your wifi terms, its can do 3 streams.

Linksys E4200 : This is a pathetic device IMO. A friend has this and have seen too many disconnects and all. Range for being a top of the line router is not good either.

@chetansha : The N13 does a great job with what it has. You want GbE - dont go for the N13. EDIT : Forgot great WRT support!

Last edited:
Back