PC Peripherals A good laptop budget - 1lakh

MaxX

Disciple
Hi,

Im looking for a decent laptop (with wifi, writer etc.) with a budget of 1 lakh. Also preferably it should look good!

Any suggestions?

That's quite a high budget for a mainstream laptop...You'll prolly not get ay mainstream laptop which will be worth that price (you'll get models priced at 1 lakh no doubt but essentially, you'll be paying more than what you can bargain for)

Almost All laptops these days come with Wi-fi and DVD combo..A DVD writer upgrade will cost you arnd 2-3K

One of the good lookin laptops for a good price is the Compaq V2000 series...you can get a centrino 1.7 with wifi, BT, Altec Lansing Spks and a widescreen with CSV for arnd 45K

A better lookin ultraportable (with optical drive) is the compaw B1812 which is arnd 65K (Almost sam config but with a 12.1" screen and a ~1.5 kg wt)

There are some samsung models which are also quite nifty looking but am not very sure bout the quality

^^ Any particula reason why...
They are not a good as the others
it'd be good if you cld give a justification for a generic statement like the one above

My personal take is barring IBM/Lenovo, all other laptops (Hp/Compaq/dell/Acer/Toshiba )are the same as far as build quality goes

(in fact if looks weren'a consideration here, I'd have outright recommended the R51 which also comes with a very attractive price tag)

The ACer Ferrari IMHO isn't worth the price it sells for....They are basically making you pay a huge premium for the coveted Ferrari logo....But then if one really has to own a Ferrari, it'd rather be the real thng,...isn't it?

Also, AMD is easily on top when it comes to the desktop world, but for mobile PCs, IMHO the Dothan is a lot more suited to the mobile computing environment in terms of performance vs. batterry life and heat dissipation

HP compaq are one of the better brands out there, I agree with Superczar Ferrari aint worth its price.

Though Dell would offer the best after sales service.

^^ The only hitch with dell (also with Toshiba) is that their India prices are nowehere in sync with the prices that they offer elsewhere (which also perhaps perhaps indicates how seriously they take the indian market)

This is also the primary reason I recommend Compaq and IBM to anyone who cares to listen....

After the recent duty cuts, both of em have bought their India Pricing almost at par with their US prices (and definitely lower than UK/Europe/Ozzy) prices

^^ I used to work with HCL insys (Toshiba distris) ;)

won't say anythng more :eek:hyeah:

WIll just leave it at this ....Toshiba are way overpriced in the Indian mkt for some Godforsaken reason

Think the V2000 is arn 2.4 kg if i rem' right and will give u between 3-4 hrs depending on usage pattern but this is for the Dothan (P-M) version..the turion will give you less

Another Nice lappy below 50K IMHO is the IBM?lenovo R51,,,,undisputably good build ....just that I find all IBM (Lenovo) lappies a tad ugly

Anyway, my point is this...Lappies don't cut it for gaming even with say a Go6800...so if you already have a desktop, unless u r really deperate for gaming on the go, get a Intel 915 chipset+ Dothan based lappy for ~40-50K and spend part of the remainig money on a nice 7800...

On a side note The gfx subsystem on the 915 chipset can actually take upto UT2004 at decet framerates

MaxX said:
The compaq v2000 looks like an interesting option. Do you know about its battery life?

Also can you recommend any others at competitive prices?

The v2000 also has a turion version, although the battery life is lower with that I think. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1827954,00.asp

Also the laptop screen should be easy to view, should not be stressful.

Get a Acer Ferrari 4002 for Rs. 1,00,000.

Specifications -
Platform
- processor: AMD turion 64 mobile technology ml-30 (1mb l2 cache,1.6ghz)

Memory
- 512mb of ddr333 memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two sodimm modules

Display
- 15.4" wsxga+ TFT LCD,1680 x 1050 resolution
- 16.7 million colors

Graphics
- ati mobility radeon x700 with 128 MB of external DDR vram, supporting ati powerplay 5.0,
- microsoft directx 9.0 and PCI express
- dualview support; external display at up to 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution,85 hz
- mpeg-2 DVD hardware-assisted capability
- s-video/tv-out (ntsc/pal) support
- dvi-d (true digital video interface) support

Audio
- audio system with microphone and two built-in speakers
- ac'97 compliant
- S/pdif (sony/philips digital interface) support

Storage
- 80 GB ata/100 hard disk drive
- 5-in-1 card reader supporting memory stick, memory stick PRO, multimediacard (mmc), secure digital (sd) and xd-picture card

Optical media drive
- slot-load dvd-super multi double-layer drive

Communication
- modem:56k itu v.92 with ptt approval;
- wake-on-ring ready
- LAN: Gigabit ethernet; wake-on-lan ready
- wlan: Integrated acer invilink 802.11b/g wi-fi certified solution; supporting acer signalup wireless technology
- wpan: Integrated bluetooth

Size and weight
- 363 (w) x 265.7 (d) x 30.5/34.3 (h) mm
- (14.29 x 10.46 x 1.2/1.36 inches)
- 2.86 KG (6.3 lbs. )

Power
- acpi 1.0b power management standard supports standby and hibernation power-saving modes
- 71 w li-ion battery pack
- 2.5-hour rapid charge,3.5-hour charge-in-use
- 3-pin 90 w AC adapter

Special keys and controls
- 88-/89-key acer finetouch keyboard
- built-in touchpad with 4-way scroll button
- four easy-launch buttons
- two front-access buttons: Wlan led-button and bluetooth led-button
- includes matching wireless bluetooth mouse

I/o ports
- 124-pin acer ezdock connector
- four USB 2.0 ports
- IEEE 1394 port (4-pin)
- ethernet (rj-45) port
- modem (rj-11) port
- external display (vga) port
- s-video/tv-out (ntsc/pal) port
- dvi-d port
- microphone/line-in jack
- headphones/speaker/line-out port with S/pdif support
- PC card slot (one type ii)
- 5-in-1 card reader
- dc-in jack for AC adapter

Software
- microsoft windows XP professional sp2
- acer emanager (acer epresentation/erecovery/esettings)
- acer gridvista
- acer launch manager
- acer system recovery CD
- adobe reader
- cyberlink powerdvd
- norton antivirus
- nti cd-maker

Warranty
- one-year international travelers warranty

The Ferrari Laptop seems to be too heavy and besides its only got 1 year warranty...laptop repairs are quite costly u know, u shouldn't take chances, better get Toshiba or Dell with 3 years warranty.
AsusTek also has also recently introduced laptops in India, they've also got few good model, better check them out also

Hitman said:
The Ferrari Laptop seems to be too heavy and besides its only got 1 year warranty...laptop repairs are quite costly u know, u shouldn't take chances, better get Toshiba or Dell with 3 years warranty.
AsusTek also has also recently introduced laptops in India, they've also got few good model, better check them out also

Then Buy the Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop.

well, superczar....

No offense to you. But while I was deciding on which laptop to buy for my dad, I did a lot ofresearch and most places did not recommend HP/Compaq. And the user reviews I have read abt them have turned me completely against it.

Of course, companies can change. But from what I know, I would not buy a Compaq/HP.

But again. my research is a few months old. So, you could be right.

I'm surprised no one recommended Dell Inspiron 9300. For around 76000/-, its
a really very good laptop, thanks to its 17" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 screen.

MaxX, you didn't mention what you need a laptop for. For office use, home
entertainment, gaming, desktop replacement, or just Word/Excel and net surfing?

Given your budget, here are a few suggestions.
1. ThinkPad T42/T43 - ThinkPad quality and 3yr warranty, biomeric security, ThinkLight, UltraNav
2. ThinkPad R52 1860A33/A35 - same quality as above, except the Magnesium alloy lid and biometric security. For 68,000/-
3. LG LW60 Express - Supermulti DVD-RW and X600 card, for around 65,000/-
4. Acer 4600 series - DVD-ReWriter and X700 card, 60,000/- and above
5. HP nx/nc series - 6120, 6125 - Turion64, 512MB with biometric security
6. Dell Latitude D810 - ~70,000/-
7. Dell Inspiron 9300 - 76,000/-

IMHO, ThinkPads are the best in quality. You may also wait for the Z series to
arrive in India. The newer Z series ThinkPads have Widescreens and better
overall chassis design, with powerful speakers on Z60m.

My ratings, quality-wise:
1. ThinkPad
2. HP buisness class (nc/nx), ASUS, Fujitsu
3. Toshiba, LG, Dell
4. Compaq, Acer

Compaqs, though not in the same league of ThinkPads, are good value laptops
anyway. Look for the V4118AP model.

^^ Nikhil, IF u read the user revu's on generic (non-tech) portals, the most maligned company is dell....For the simple reason that a lot of folks feel pissed off at Dell for havin shifted their Helpdesk ops to India...If you try noticing, u'll notice a trend of most -ve revu's coming from ppl who've had a so-called bad experience with the helpdesk ....

AFAIK, A Korean OEM manf Quanta manufacture Most notebooks for Dell HP & Apple.....

So what a consumer calls the build quality essentially boils down to the QC process the marketer (Dell/HP/Toshiba) has at their end for weeding out the lemons.....

Now siince all the 3 above have a decent and ~equal brand equity on the consumer's mind, It's a safe enough presumption that their QC processes will be at least moderately good....

Which is why I say the build qlty will be the almost the same for a Toshiba/HP/Dell....

IBM also outsources manufacturing, but the erason why their laptops have a better build quality is because IBM's design emphasis is on reliability while style takes a backseat (sound business logic given the fact that IBM is percieved as primarily a business notebook and not a style stetmnet for a college student)

So in the end, the primary differentiating factor between a compaq/dell/toshiba (At par models....Please, no comparing a 2000$ Tecra M3 with a 1000$ Dell Inspiron or compaq V2000) is the after sales service that you would get in the unfortunate event of parts failure

AM not very sure which one of em would score here, perhaps toshiba given HCL's distribution strength in India...but then again, a part failing is an unlikely event, and even if it happens, any of these manufacturers will fix it up for you though the pain factor involved would vary from one manf to the other.....

Also, while weighing a manufacturer on this parameter, it wold not be sensible to take what peole say on intl' or US centric forums at face value...coz a dell may have a excellent service netowrk in the US, but the same may not be true in India....

My personal take on this would be to buy a renowned brand (HP/Compaq, dell, IBM, IBM, Toshiba etc) after taking into account which one of em will give you the best bang for you buck

IF u read the user revu's on generic (non-tech) portals, the most maligned company is dell....For the simple reason that a lot of folks feel pissed off at Dell for havin shifted their Helpdesk ops to India...If you try noticing, u'll notice a trend of most -ve revu's coming from ppl who've had a so-called bad experience with the helpdesk ....

I totally agree. I was a Help Desk Engg. myself for 8 mths working for HP. And have had a few telling me that they had managed to reach someone who could speak English :huh: Not boasting here but that is a serious problem which the companies don't consider. U should work in a BPO to get a feel of the customer's dissatisfaction.

And HP has horrible laptops in the States. But almost all models of Compaq here in India are good and last long. The ones in the States have the max DoA !!! Reason is almost 90% of the lappy's are made in China where QC is at its worst. Imagine buying a $2400 lappy which ends up being DoA !!!

well the laptop i am using is unmatchable - Dell XPS
config -
2.2 GHz, 2GB DDR II, 100GB HDD, 6800Ultra Go chip - yes this is the beauty of this system. costs around 2.5k$ i dontknow price in india but this machine is monster and my first ever system from dell which i am recommending.
normally i hate dell systems but but with this model (if you want to spend more and want to get one powerful system then) this is the peace for you.

you cant even compare Acer ferrari with X700 to Dell 6800Ultra.
my score of 3dmark 05 was 49xx something... played AOE III at all full details and AA and AF and got 60+ FPS. very nice machine when it comes to performance.

only one drawback - its damn heavy - without adapter its almost 5+ Kg.

Back