Graphic Cards 8600 GT or 7600 GT - help me decide !!!

sauron

Disciple
Heya fellas I've been in this dilemma for days now -

Which of these bl00dy cards do I pick ???

This is ma current rig ...

N I have no plans of upgradin da CPU [ n mobo] or the PSU [400 W only] !!!

Now the major thing - da only games I'm gonna ever play are from da NFS series !!!

[Dint get enuf time to complete MW n Carb]

Plz help me decide which one of da cards do I buy !!!

8600 GT as its faster.. I think so atleast in the new lot of games...

If you wanna play NFS series of games, save up and get an X360 playing split screen was never so much fun !!!

ive got the 7600gt u can pretty much max out the settings in most wanted,carbons a whole different deal though..i'd suggest u go with 8600GT since performance is mostly similar to 7600gt but u also get dx10 support...

Thankx guys but da prob is there's just a 1k difference between da two !!!

Also I've had some real experiences wid Vista -

[Hard to find drivers -

No 2->5.1 sound upmixin ...

Vid Overlay settings for ma Asus TFT n so on]

So that probably rules out DX10 -

In that case wud really be advisable to get a DX10 compaint card ???

[But we're leavin the HD Content capablity here arent we ???]

Too too too many d@rn factors !!! :evil:

is there any vast difference between 8600gt 256mb and 512mb model?????

Also sauran...dx10 card means it will obviously run in dx9 setup i guess......someone please confirm this

+1 for the 8600GT

magnet said:
is there any vast difference between 8600gt 256mb and 512mb model?????

Also sauran...dx10 card means it will obviously run in dx9 setup i guess......someone please confirm this

not much difference ... atleast at lower resolutions

it'll run in directx9 mode in xp and directx10 mode in vista ... and the newer nvidia drivers have improved a lot , don't think there would be any problem

hey sauron...i think ul lget better answers if u google ur problem 8600 gt is a waste...a joke compared to 7600 gt...
evn itll b a while till quality dx10 games hit d market..so in my opinion go for 7600 gt

audiophile2rock said:
hey sauron...i think ul lget better answers if u google ur problem 8600 gt is a waste...a joke compared to 7600 gt...
evn itll b a while till quality dx10 games hit d market..so in my opinion go for 7600 gt

Grrr, I hate it when ppl make such comments without any proof...:mad: :mad:

So show some proof will ya?

As for sauron, 7600GTVs8600GT, lets see. Ask yourself, are you a gamer? If yes close your eyes and pick the 8600GT@7200

Else if you only need something for just the sake of it get the 7600GT but I just don't see the sense in getting that. If you just want to have a VGA/DVI solution for your monitor, get a 7100GS or a 6200TC

audiophile2rock said:

here are a few benchies for starters

^^ Those are not valid benchies coz they tested the 8600 GT XXX edition cards (i.e factory overclocked) with stock 7600 GT..

Though what he said was a little extreme lets not forget that the 8600 GT is a mediocre performer at best, while the 7600 GT rocked at the time it was released.

Anandtech had this to say about the 8600 GT:
The GeForce 6600 GT outperformed the Radeon 9800 Pro in virtually every benchmark, sometimes by large margins. It managed this with prices that were at the time quite a bit lower than the previous generation's champ. GeForce 7600 GT was also typically faster than GeForce 6800 GT/GS, and it once again came with a lower price tag. The 8600 hardware on the other hand doesn't appear significantly faster or cheaper than the cards it's replacing..

And Guru3D this:
I think everybody expected the 8600 series to perform better in games. The GT is merely 15% faster than a 7600 GT in most scenarios;

Since he mentioned that he doesnt intend to play DX10 games, the 7600 GT is gud enough. However I am not really aware of current market prices of the 2 cards, and if the 8600 GT is maybe just a 1000 bucks more then it might be worth it to buy that if only for the mild performance increase and PureVideo performance.

Real peformace lies somewhere in between the 7600GT and the 7900GS.

As for the 8600 not being as powerful as everyone hoped it would be, yes absolutely true. Even though the 6600GT and 7600GT were great cards, they were great cards in their TIME of glory.

While their is no denying the fact that everyone was expecting the 8600GT to be faster then it is, that doesnot mean that the 8600GT is an underdog, in no terms is it so. If anything, right now the 8600GT is one of the best VFM cards out there, especially the factory OC'd models such as the Galaxy 8600GT available at great prices.

Consider the price difference, its around 700 or so, the 7600GT still retails for 6500 or so in India, even more at someplaces for some brands. For 700 more one gets a 40% increase in performance and HD Video decoding. Totally worth every paisa of that extra 700 IMO.

Yaar go for 8600Gt with Purevideo and Dx10 futureproofing etc.
Buying 7600Gt makes no sense. So out of these two i think you shud stick with the 8600GT XFX or some oevrclocked model.
Cheers!

Thankx a ton all of ya guys !!!

8600 GT it is - then !!!

[BTW any chances of further price drops due to AMD n Intel price cuts ???]

dude get the 8600gt man its really good but make sure u go for the Galaxy one since it has the crazy Zalman fan which helps u to oc the card pretty much to suck each and every mhz that it has in the GPU also chk the benchmarks of the GT card of different brands the Galaxy cards are the coolest even on full load where as the EVGA,BIG,XFX reach a temp of 80 on full load and the galaxy ones are on 60/69
my friend got the 8600GT galaxy one 256mb and hes playin Rainbow Six Vegas maxd out with 1024x786(considering the R6V is not a very optimized game for PC its just a port which was made in hurry)

Back