PC Peripherals 7900gt + Smps

SiriusB

Adept
I live in chennai. Here's my core components:

Winchester 3200+ @ 2.49GHz

2x1GB Transcend DDR400 @DDR452 dual channel

LeadTek 6600GT 128MB @555MHz & 1230MHz

Xtech 350Watt smps (12A on the 12V rail)

Now, I have a budget of about 24K. I plan to move on to GF 7900GT. Help me choose the grfx card and a suitable smps.

-For the smps, I think more than 20A on the 12V rail is needed. And, if possible, please suggest an smps within 3 or 4K.

-Delta Peripherals says 19K for XFX and 19.5K for Leadtek. Both are stock. Which one should I go for? Are they cheap, or does anyone know of cheaper prices in chennai?

-How's the 7900gt RMA rate in India (chennai)

-Are the 7900gt OCed versions a prudent buy?

-If I am to go for an OCed version (xxx, extreme), then which brand do I prefer?

-Also, will an equivalent ati card come in my budget (x1800xt, x1900xt)?

Either one should be fine. but it seems that the 7900 overclocked versions are plagued with probelems. but since you will have a 3 year warranty with both brands, it should not matter too much expect the waiting period in case of a need for replacement. Try to fit in a Antec Neo NE 500W which should complement the card nicely and allow you for an upgrade to a new processor and mobo if you need to in the future without any issues. you may have to up your budget by 1k. Also check with zebronics for the Leadtek 7900GT. It should be around the 18.5 or 19k mark for the non-oc version.

Thanks lord_nemesis. I want to scrounge a bit more money from the smps budget to get an OCed card. Do you think NeoHE 430W would suit me?

The 12V rating comes to 32A, right? Does this smps have any beef with my A8NE? I mean, does the 430W model too come in A3/A4 revisions?

The only OC'ed and even non-OC'ed versions of 7900GT that are problem free are the new versions from eVGA, go to newegg.com and every mfg. using the old versions/SKUs have a fairly high failure rate.The fact that eVGA is in US and hence had to face a lot of flak caused it to react early and solve the problem.AFAIK its the largest Nvidia card mfg. over here.

Go with Leadtek, got replaced my friend's 7900GT OC version in 5mins as it went kaput in 3 days.

NEO HE is 6.2k in delta, get it if you can or even a smart power 2.0 500w should be good enough for the card or u can get the skyhawk 640W from zebronics for arnd 5k.

afaik 2 cards(oced version) are found to have problem in TE itself, only 1 card which is a non-oced version seems to run fine.

X1800XT is little better than 7900GT but not available in India afaik and X1900XT availabilty in chennai is unknown, even if these 2 cards there it will not come in your budget.

Thanks Saiyan, I will go for the Leadtek version (although the xfx xxx edition must be super-good).

But what say you about the NeoHE 430W? I am hoping to get this one for around 3.4K (haven't asked the guy yet). Besides, I don't think I will need more than 430W, right?

SiriusB said:
Thanks Saiyan, I will go for the Leadtek version (although the xfx xxx edition must be super-good).

But what say you about the NeoHE 430W? I am hoping to get this one for around 3.4K (haven't asked the guy yet). Besides, I don't think I will need more than 430W, right?
make sure their RMA process is solid though ! People have had to replace their 7900gts thrice or even more. There are tons of horror stories of the 7900gt failure rate !

Here's a list of SMPSes I enquired. Which one to choose?

Vantec ion2 460W - Rs.4,200

Antec TP II 480W - Rs.5,100

Antec NeoHE 500 - Rs.6,250

I know Neohe is gr8 and all that, but what about the other two?

And the Leadtek prices:

7900GT TDH - Rs.19,000

7900GT TDH Extreme - Rs.19,350 (o.0)

If I can decide on both the components soon, with some help from you guys ofcourse, I can buy'em today even (god my heartsa racing!)

1) 1800XT and 1900XT are available in India. 1900XT will be around 29k or so, same with 7900GTX.

1800XT too will be around 22-23k or so.

Even if you do get Antec NeoHE430 in India which is not very easy, even a SP2 450 costs about 3600-3800, so that psu will still be 4-4.5k or so.

I would say consider:
Antec SP2 500(didn't work for me with radeon 1900xtx)
Antec TP II 480
Antec SP2 450
Cooler Master 450

AFAIK a normal system, single core amd 64, 2 ram modules, 2 optical drives, 1 hdd, and just normal stuff and all with a 7900GT should need a 400-450 watts psu. You can even run 1900XT on a 430 watts quality psu, though it is not recommended.

You actually don't need Neo, if you have the money then why not get the 1800XT instead.

A cooler master 450 watts for around 3300-3800 should be ok.

I would say go for Antec TP2.0 480 + Leadtek 7900GT,seems to be a decent combo.

I personally like the 7900GT very much because it is small,slim cooler,runs cool,is fast enough,cheap....

Just my 2 cents.

Leadtek is a much better optionin comparsion to xffx or you can go for x1900xt from ati and it is aviable below 20000 from xpertvision (certified Ati Partner) and it is aviable in chennai.Smps You can go for zebronis 440 platinum series it is worth

for its money with the cost of 2500 rs.

i would recommend XFX 7900Gt stock and antec sp2 500. its more than enough for 7900gt.i am using them for 2 mths now i havent had any problem till now n the xfx 7900gt overclocks to 565/800 easily. SO there is no need for going for the preoverclocked version.

Zebronics people are importing and supplying the xpertvision cards. But I dont think that 1900XT is for 20k.

No one would even think about the nVidia cards if thats the case...:bleh:

It should be more like 28-30k.

I have a 2 month old list of the zebronics prices of xpertvision cards, but it does not include any of the higher end cards.

heres that list

XpertVision Cards

X550 128MB PCI-E CARD 2805

X550 256MB PCI-E CARD 3535

X700 512 MB PCI-E CARD 6960

X1300 256 MB PCIE CARD 5275

X1300 512 MB PCI-E CARD 6960

@SiriusB : I would recommend that you stick with Neo HE 500 if you can afford it. If you are gonna spend 5k for a good PSU, then spend 1k more for the best there is (At least in India).

Also the price diff between the oc and non-oc versions does not seems right. there was a diff of 2k when I last heard the prices . the oc version should be around 19.5k (or 19.3k as you mentioned) and the non-oc version should be 18.0-18.5k now.

@Dr.ashish: The problem is that nVidia would send the best of the yield for the Pre OC - cards so that they can garauntee its overclocking and the rest for the regular cards. looking at the problems with the oc - cards , it seems that the card manufacturers have set the clocks for the oc cards a bit too high (may be on the recommendations of nVidia itself to be competitive with the ATi). you can oc the regular cards, but since they are not the best of the yield, it would not always gaurentee the same clocks.

The Vantec price is high, that should be like 3.7k or shthin. Even thats a good psu. A SP 450 also isnt bad. Thought undoubtedly the Neo HE is in a totally different class compared to everything else.

Thank for the consel everyone. In the end, I bought the SP2.0 480W and a Leadtek 7900GT Extreme. The 7900GT is pretty fickle. It did artifact the first time I ran Deep Freeze at stock, but then I did the following:

-rearranged my cabling in the case.

-reversed one of my case fans' direction (beacause now there's a fan in the smps directly above the cpu).

-saw that in nvidia control panel the 3d fan speed was set to 60% or something like that. I changed it to 100%. I also decreased the 2d gpu speed to 300MHz and 2d gpu fan speed to 50%.

Now it don't artifact. Well, not exactly, as I haven't run a few loops of deep freeze tests. But I assume it's stable enough for gaming. Nonetheless, I have asked Leadtek support about it. No reply yet.

I let it autodetect max clocks and it upto 560MHz GPU and 800MHz GDDR. Here' the benchie at that OC:

3dmark064gx.jpg

OCing from stock (520/715) didn't make much difference in the bench. Only about 300 points. I guess I am CPU limited.

If it artifacts its bad, its that simple.Nearly all 7900GTs except for the new eVGA ones have this problem, the Nvidia reference design is flawed.

Well you didn't buy the card to run it at 300MHz did you... When its rated at 520, it should run at that speed, if it doesn't, get the card replaced from where you bought it ASAP.

Back