Graphic Cards 7800gt with hdtv = too crazy

stormblast

Skilled
yes as the topic says. i decided to try hdtv with 7800gt on my projection tv 43" phillips.

my tv dint support 720p, but it supported 480p, 576p & 1080i.

for those of u are not familiar with these terms. p means progressive scanning & i means interlaced.

480p = 640 x 480
576p = 720 x 556
720p = 1280 x 720 (not supported on my tv)
1080i = 1920 x 1080
1080p = 1920 x 1080 (not supported on my tv)
well 480p & 576p are also known as EDTV by many people & is also supported on many of the dvdplayers u get now including the phillips dvp642.
ok what u need to use hdtv. u need composite cables, yb pb pr also known as component cables. i used the monster cables that i had which i use to connect tv to the dvdplayer for using progressive scanning.
well anyways. i attached my pc. got started. 1080i wasnt that great from close cause it is interlaced so i dint use that. i used 576p (720 x 576) & it is too goddamn clear, crisp, sharp etc etc.

then i couldnt wait to try some game. i started up pro evo soccer 5 1st up & since the games dont support the res 720 x 576 i used 640 x 480 & i must say the image quality & clarity was mindblowing on the big screen. much clearer than the pc at 1280 x 1024 easily. the game looked fantastic & too clear.

next up it was turn of nfs mw. same again it looked fantastic. seemed like i was playing on xbox 360.

well & i couldnt wait to try out quake 4. omg. it was brilliant man. 640 x 480, 4xfsaa, 8x aniso the game looked so good i dont have words for it.

imagine if i had tried on 720p or 1080p, it would have been fantastic.

after seeing all this i have decided that when i buy a monitor next time i will only buy it if it has 720p & 1080p hdtv support or i wont buy. better to pay more money for something that is so fantastic.

if any1 is deciding to buy a new monitor. i suggest if u can wait, then wait n collect more money n get a monitor that has hdtv support, you will not regret it.

stormblast said:
yes as the topic says. i decided to try hdtv with 7800gt on my projection tv 43" phillips.

my tv dint support 720p, but it supported 480p, 576p & 1080i.

for those of u are not familiar with these terms. p means progressive scanning & i means interlaced.
480p = 640 x 480
576p = 720 x 556
720p = 1280 x 720 (not supported on my tv)
1080i = 1920 x 1080
1080p = 1920 x 1080 (not supported on my tv)
well 480p & 576p are also known as EDTV by many people & is also supported on many of the dvdplayers u get now including the phillips dvp64
if any1 is deciding to buy a new monitor. i suggest if u can wait, then wait n collect more money n get a monitor that has hdtv support, you will not regret it.
Nice yeah ...progressive scanning really helps...and i'd say the images look much better than interlaced...
I am also planning an HDTV say around 42 inches...what model would u suggest? I will want 1080p support:eek:hyeah:
budget well none....
Also would any encoder support 1080i to 1080p encoding....?? How much of a difference would it really make??

BTW congrats on the HDTV....and I feel that the ATI X1800XT would get a better picture.....any comments here?? How does AVIVO compare to Pure video?

i think u do get encoders for hdtv. do some research on the net.

also if ur going for hdtv. check out the sony tv's 1st, cause when it comes to pic quality there is nothing like sony. i got the phillips cause it was almost 95% same image colors & quality as sony & almost half the price :)

just go to vijay sales if you are from mumbai & i am sure if encoders are available they should have it.

well have to shift the pc again to the hall to take photo's. will be really hard.

ill see if i can shift it today again but not sure.

btw for those ppl with phillips dvp642 can also use 480p & 576p on their dvd players for watching dvds if their tv supports it. the image quality diff is huge.

if u guys want pics of the tv playing dvd @ 480p or 576p i can do that anytime. let me know.

stormblast said:
i think u do get encoders for hdtv. do some research on the net.

also if ur going for hdtv. check out the sony tv's 1st, cause when it comes to pic quality there is nothing like sony. i got the phillips cause it was almost 95% same image colors & quality as sony & almost half the price :)

just go to vijay sales if you are from mumbai & i am sure if encoders are available they should have it.
I agree about the visual quality of Sony...what about Samsung any good???

dint like samsung tvs. all of them the colors dint feel natural like a sony phillips. toshiba also was great & 1 or 2 others.

samsung had kind of a pink hue on them .

if u are from bbay i suggest u go to vijay sales n check out all these tv's they are kept together in 1 line.

Hmm nice, though a 7800GT on a 42" Plasma at 1280x1024 would be = ...edited...

BTW, did u use the Purevideo thing from nVidia on the TV ?

Well ...here is a q4 screenie at 1920x1200 :) more or less what u'd see at 1080p

Attachments

• shot00002.jpg
    shot00002.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 91
^^Doesnt matter what the final output device is, if you take a screenshot it'll look identical. Afterall the game's renderer ain't gonna do anything different for outputting on a different display device. I think you are getting fooled by the oversaturated colors in a TV compared to a normal lcd panel/crt.

u havent seen hdtv or edtv yet chaos. once u see it in a dvd player or on a pc u will know what i am talking about. its not the colors of the tv. its the high quality of the output.

Back