55 Inch+ 3D TV Advice

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
P.S: Sorry for not using the template but I can ask my question better this way.

#[member='adder'] #[member='Gannu'] #[member='TechHead'] #[member='jhononweed']

Hi,

Im in the look for a 55" or above 3D TV. Want to buy from 2011 models while the stocks last. Not interested in 2012 voice control, gesture control and shiny UFOs.

Budget: 2L max though looking at 1.7-1.8L

Viewing Distance: 9ft+

Lighting: Might have a 10ft wide french window in new house but can be controlled

3D is an important part for me and not just an add on, though I know they are still in the nascent stage.

So the models I short listed:

Samsung D8000 LED 55":

For:

Excellent Reviews|Amazing Design|Really Good 3D|Plays Everything/Good Smart TV

Against:

Banding|Clouding|Uniformity Issues

Samsung D8000 Plasma 64":

For:

64" of Awesomeness|Excellent Reviews|Accurate Colors/Amazing PQ|Excellent 3D|Plays Everything/Good Smart TV

Against:

Screen Peel|Buzz|Brightness|Other Problems with Plamsas

LG LW5700/6500 55":

For:

Simple straight forward, cheap 3D

Against:

Bad Design|Half res 3D|Not so good PQ

Need to buy 2 TVs, one for friends family. They are not tech savvy or anything, so is there more probability that they might screw up the plasma?(They are using a plasma now since 1 year but they dont know they are using plasma
indifferent14.gif
)

Suggest the best and any options I might have left

Thanks in Advance
<

Also feeling scared of gaming(PS3) on plasma due to burn in.

#[member='mjumrani']

@artikle

Just wanted to explain some things about various types of tv so that it will help in your purchase.

First of all, tech savvy or not you cannot screw up a tv so easily unless you do something that will physically damage it. So that should not be a criteria for deciding a tv.

Reg passive and active 3D

In passive 3D resolution is divided. that means you get to see only half of the mentioned resolution. so If you are playing 3D 1080p video, you are watching half of the resolution of 1080p. This is drawback of passive 3D. But there is drawback to active 3D too. In active 3D frequency is divided. that means in active 3D you get to see video at half the frequency. So if you are planning to play games, this will matter a lot. You decide where to sacrifice based on your needs.

Reg plasma TV

There was burn in issue in older designs. From what I read, this issue is solved in newer tvs. so you need not worry. Plasma TVs are cheaper and have very good contrast and color reproduction. Plasma screens are hard so there is less chance of damage compared to LCD/LED. But plasmas are suitable in dark rooms. If there is light source in front of tv, you should consider LCD/LED.

#[member='artikle']

You'll have to wait till the weekend. I have to go to the croma and Home Centre to look for a new LED for dad.

Will have a look at the 55 inchers too.

Plasma tvs are more fragile compared to lcd tvs,you see lots of threads of plasma internal crack.It will be fine on the outside but inside layer gets a cracks and worst part is here in india warranty won't cover it.

Of course the chances of that happening is a small percentage,if it was mishandled in any stages prior to delivery to your home,then chances are higher.A reason why the vast majority of the grey markets in india don't sell plasma

About 3d i will repeat again vast majority of the people who bought even the flagship models from all the big brands be it a plasma or a lcd don't see 3d content after the initial excitement and thats a fact.

With 2D in mind for that budget all the models you have suggest are quite good,you already know most of pros and cons.

Regarding burn in its still possible to get,but you will mostly get a TIR which may last for a long time depending on the severity ,you can see the thread here in AVS the fact that its active means it still an issue http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107&page=122

As far as the big french window it depends on which side its facing and the amount of light hitting it,for a fact i can say that lcd on the whole are superior in these condition whether in preserving the contrast under ambient light hitting the screen or defeating the glare with sheer brightness capability.

#[member='adder'] #[member='mjumrani'] #saurabh Thanks
<

Im so interested in 3D, it is one of the main reasons to buy a TV. I promise I'll be a regular user of this feature.
123.gif

Next, though I was almost fixed on getting an LG passive 3D set which was really really good, I read #[member='adder'] say PQ is not good enough and from other 3D sites, I read active 3D(full res) looks better than passive(half res) and also design is just sad. Though I took demo of both and liked them, couldnt compare side by side.

And #[member='adder'] , your posts on plasma scare me like hell, both here and hifivision. Somehow I was leaning towards plasma but after your post, feeling scared to even think about them
cry.gif

It is frustrating not being able to get problem free TVs even at this price and this year.

Still, I sometimes get the urge to just go out there and buy that 55" passive 3d set
yay.gif

#[member='mjumrani'] Exactly my thoughts a while ago. But LG design is bad and #[member='adder'] says PQ is not good. You are tempting me towards passive again
<

2012 LG models look amazing but Im afraid they might cost a bomb and by the time I know that 2011 stocks would disappear. Then Ill be left waiting till next year end or will have to settle for a mid range 46" model vs this years flagships
<

EDIT: And #[member='mjumrani'] would you personally go with LG?

#[member='artikle'] I have a LG 42LW6500 which is a Passive 3D LED. I bought this mainly because it has Passive 3D instead of Active which uses Heavy and Expensive Shutter Glasses.

I quite like the TV and although I don't watch 3D much the quality of 3D Reproduction is quite good but it still depends a lot on the source. If the movie is shot pathetically then 3D hardly make a difference. 2D picture quality is quite good. Don't know why you feel its not upto the mark.

#[member='adder'] #[member='mjumrani'] #[member='saurabh'] Thanks
happy19.gif

Im so interested in 3D, it is one of the main reasons to buy a TV. I promise I'll be a regular user of this feature.
123.gif

Next, though I was almost fixed on getting an LG passive 3D set which was really really good, I read #[member='adder'] say PQ is not good enough and from other 3D sites, I read active 3D(full res) looks better than passive(half res) and also design is just sad. Though I took demo of both and liked them, couldnt compare side by side.

And #[member='adder'] , your posts on plasma scare me like hell, both here and hifivision. Somehow I was leaning towards plasma but after your post, feeling scared to even think about them
cry.gif

It is frustrating not being able to get problem free TVs even at this price and this year.

Still, I sometimes get the urge to just go out there and buy that 55" passive 3d set
yay.gif

Well i have never commented on the PQ of LG tv has a whole,all i said was they lack the contrast of their VA based counterparts such as samsung/sony,neither is image processing as good as the samsung or sony.

Trust me thats one promise you will break with regard to 3d.

As far as plasma well those or the facts if you can get past the cons or the known issues, its a bargain tv considering the size vs price ratio.

#[member='adder'] Thanks again

Maybe Ill break the promise, but I watch every 3D movie released, just to see the 3D even if the movie is pathetic
blushing.gif

This is frustrating:

1. Plasma: excellent reviews, but lot of problems (not covered by warranty
death.gif
)

2. Sammy LED: excellent reviews, but active 3D and banding, uniformity issues

3. LG LED: passive 3D, but comparatively less PQ

It is like, choose which set of problems you like
cry.gif

And this TV is going to stay. I might not upgrade till OLED comes around current LED prices
bye22.gif

BTW I assume, all the problems with the Sammy LED and LG LED would dissappear if Im not watching in darkness ie if the lights are on, all the uniformity, banding, and low black level in LG wouldnt be a problem right?

#[member='artikle']

Firstly please do not mix up LCD/LED's with Plasma's as both have it's pro's & con's which you already know.

In LED :

Samy D8000 is far far better than any LG's and Sony NX720/ HX750 series...

Sony HX 925 is stunning LED but pricey.

Sharp Aqua is worthy too for some demo's..they looked good in bigger size.

Note :Only problem with Samsung is that they are glossy and tends to reflect objects when the set's are placed opposite or in angular way in front of light source.

With the size you are going for , i will suggest take a look at Sharp LED's too as many of my known person's went for it and are happy now.

If on tight budget then try out LG but PQ is poor when Samsung D7000/8000 or Sony HX sets are compared with.

LED's have their problems too like shuttering /Judders and Back light Bleeding's.

In Plasma :

I didn't have much exposure to plasma's other than few Panasonic and Samsung 51D550...Have heard that LG has better Plasma's than Samsung...but Panasonic rules this space so wait for plasma users to give feedback or check HiFi forum.

For Sports nothing can beat Plasma's with their high refresh rate and i mean it.

Burning of images is over hyped phenomenon just like Samsung panel lottery so don't be bothered about it as burning happens when image or screen is paused for long time....and i don't think anyone would knowingly do that.

Rest Adder has explained almost all the things that can go wrong with Plasma's.

Now coming onto 3D :

Passive or Active...oh wait i want cheap glasses ..oh no i want full resolution ...oh hell with it, i want best for my money.

See so many "Oh's " ? That's exactly what technology does to a common users like us...so try out both Passive & Active 3D sets with your own 3D content for atleast 30 minutes as i think eye's takes far longer time than 10 min's.

Please don't be bothered with Cheap glasses as almost all 3D vendors sell's 2 or 4 glasses with set's.

My personal choice is based on usage :

For sports - Plasma > LED > LCD

For movies - LED > Plasma > LCD

For 3 D - Anything that pleases your eye's and comfort level.

Some pictures of my LED maybe you will get some idea. I had already posted these in another thread. Still, posting it once again for your convenience.

zAo1P.jpg

uLsEj.jpg

SGBNG.jpg

#[member='Bhutoria_1989']

Colors looking artificial .. or is it the settings? may be im too much used to plasma tvs,

^I believe the color he choose is cooler/cold tint,not the more natural warmer ones and it also appears to be in torch mode or high backlight settings.

Besides one cannot gauge anything from the pictures ,since camera settings and its sensor/lens^ can make a big difference.

#[member='Vidy'] & #[member='adder'], the picture settings are set in Normal Mode and obviously you both are correct that the Lens matters a Lot because mine was Samsung Focus Lens
tongu23e.gif

1st Two Pictures aren't looking artificial as they are similar to what appears to my eye. But 3rd is a bit artificial looking may be as it was clicked in the night time without any light source.

#[member='mjumrani'] Exactly my thoughts a while ago. But LG design is bad and #[member='adder'] says PQ is not good. You are tempting me towards passive again
tongu23e.gif

2012 LG models look amazing but Im afraid they might cost a bomb and by the time I know that 2011 stocks would disappear. Then Ill be left waiting till next year end or will have to settle for a mid range 46" model vs this years flagships
sad.gif

EDIT: And #[member='mjumrani'] would you personally go with LG?

If I would have been watching 3D alot or more than 2 hours in the TVs lifetime I would get a TV which has Passive 3D, and besides LG I'm not sure which brand sells that.

But, I do not plan to ever watch 3D thus it doesn't really matter to me.

In Plasma :

I didn't have much exposure to plasma's other than few Panasonic and Samsung 51D550...Have heard that LG has better Plasma's than Samsung...but Panasonic rules this space so wait for plasma users to give feedback or check HiFi forum.

For Sports nothing can beat Plasma's with their high refresh rate and i mean it.

Burning of images is over hyped phenomenon just like Samsung panel lottery so don't be bothered about it as burning happens when image or screen is paused for long time....and i don't think anyone would knowingly do that.

Rest Adder has explained almost all the things that can go wrong with Plasma's.

My personal choice is based on usage :

For sports - Plasma > LED > LCD

For movies - LED > Plasma > LCD

For 3 D - Anything that pleases your eye's and comfort level.

So are you saying my next TV (coming soon) should be a Panny Plasma instead of a Sammy 46D6000? (I watch football, every match, every week, till the season gets over)

@artikle

LG's picture quality is not bad. see yourself in showroom. only thing is LG lacks in black levels compared to samsung and sony. Which is because of IPS panel. And where it lacks in black levels, it makes up in viewing angles. It has wide viewing angle. As of now only LG has passive 3D. I would suggest better go for passive 3D as it has less compromises.

@jhononweed

I read somewhere that plasmas will be out of market after few years. Also repairing is difficult / not possible. is it true? Plasmas have highest refresh rates but latest lcd/leds also have higher refresh rates (around 240hz) so considering all cons of plasmas should someone go for lcd/led?

#[member='artikle'] - sorry man! Haven't been keeping up with the current lineup of the 3D HDTVs. I thought 3D tech. hasn't matured enough so decided to stay away from them for the time being.

The last time I demo'ed a 3D panel back at Croma, I got myself a headache.

Back