Disciple
Requirements:

Size: 13-13.9 inches
Sandy bridge
RAM: 4GB
Minimum 4 hour battery backup
HDD: 500GB OR SSD: Any size OR a bit of both
Dedicated Graphic card
Budget: 50k (expandable only to add SSD)
USB 3.0 slots
Should not be a pain to lug around.

The Sony Vaio S looks good, but out of budget. Any cheaper alternatives?

Please let me know if any more information is needed.

I was considering these:

ASUS U36Jc review -- Engadget
Toshiba Portege R705 review -- Engadget

But I am not sure if laptops like these are available in India.

I am not open to buying online as of now. Going to a store where I can check these out before buying suits me better. I may order it from the US through ICC World if there is international warranty.

The cheapest I can think of is the Sony VAIO VPCCA15FG for 55k. Sony VAIO C Series VPCCA15FG Laptop Price India: Buy Sony VAIO C Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com(Black)

There are some SB Thinkpads too but they don't come with dedicated GPU & are not available in India.

Also there is the 13" Macbook Pro which costs about 60k. But again no dedicated GPU.

If you consider the Sony, also take a look at the VPCCB15FG. It is a 15.6 incher, but has a much better FHD screen & even costs 1k lesser than the CA. Weight should be similar to the CA.
Sony VAIO C Series VPCCB15FG Laptop Price India: Buy Sony VAIO C Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com(Black)

Check out the Dell vostro v3350 - comes with a sandy bridge core i5 cpu 2410/2510 and with a 8 cell battery and an ati radeon 6470 (512mb gpu) @ 43k.

if you can wait for the sandybridge macbook air that would be ace.or else go with the updated mbp lineup.eventhough the current 13 incher doesn't have a dedicated gpu,it would more than take care of a few of your gaming needs and packs a good processing power as well.my search for a ultraportable lappy ended when i took the macbook pro cause its perfect and the mb air even more.

sunny27 said:
Check out the Dell vostro v3350 - comes with a sandy bridge core i5 cpu 2410/2510 and with a 8 cell battery and an ati radeon 6470 (512mb gpu) @ 43k.
Just got a quote of 53.5k for the Vostro 3350

i5 2410

4gb RAM

320GB HDD

ATI 6470

8 cell

1 Year Warranty

I think the OP is not looking at laptops above 50k price point??? So I guess the Vostro is out of the picture.

And 53k you might as well get the Vaio SB16. Same config as Vostro but lighter, backlit keyboard and upto* 15 hour battery life

*with additional sheet battery.

Thanks for clearing that pauldmps.

@ronnie, the MBP is heavier. Besides, the Vaio on Flipkart comes with a free carrying case, 8gb Cruzer Blade and Microsoft USB mouse for 56k. Thanks for pointing out the super duper deal :D

How is Intel HD 3000 graphics against HD6470M?

I am confused now. MBP will strain my wallet, but is it worth it over the Vaio (apart from for its looks)?

The ASS is definitely not better with Apple. Except maybe in metros.

The 6470M is definitely better than Intel HD3000 if you use your laptop for some light gaming, video editing and other GPU intensive applications. For day to day use like watching HD movies the difference is negligible.

And may i know why you are getting it from Flipkart ? You can get the SB16 for 53k if you shop around and bargain. And if you are ready to spend more for Macbook Pro, why not go for the SB17 instead ? For 58.5K you get a better processor (i5 2520M 2.5ghz), a fast 7200RPM 500GB hard drive, and Windows 7 Professional.

Its a much better deal than macbook pro.

Of course the macbook pro 13 will have a much better but glossy screen, a better touchpad and more solid build.

pauldmps said:
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

HD6470M is much better than Intel HD3000.

MBP is worth only if you need to use OSX & are conscious about looks. Though I suppose the build-quality & ASS would be better for MBP.
Points taken into account. Thank you for your help. :) I don't know if I can grab that MBP deal on ebay. My purchase is still a while away it seems.
babu.mohan10 said:
The ASS is definitely not better with Apple. Except maybe in metros.
The 6470M is definitely better than Intel HD3000 if you use your laptop for some light gaming, video editing and other GPU intensive applications. For day to day use like watching HD movies the difference is negligible.
And may i know why you are getting it from Flipkart ? You can get the SB16 for 53k if you shop around and bargain. And if you are ready to spend more for Macbook Pro, why not go for the SB17 instead ? For 58.5K you get a better processor (i5 2520M 2.5ghz), a fast 7200RPM 500GB hard drive, and Windows 7 Professional.
Its a much better deal than macbook pro.
Of course the macbook pro 13 will have a much better but glossy screen, a better touchpad and more solid build.
Thanks for your help too. :) I will check that out too, thanks for pointing out the option. :)

A really noobish question: Where do you check out Sony laptops (other than the Croma, Sony Store type places)? I would like to know where I can "shop around and bargain"?

I've been to Lamington Road in Mumbai quite a few times, but never with the intention of checking out a laptop. Please don't kill me for this noob question. :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, Sony VAIO S Series VPCSB17GG Laptop Price India: Buy Sony VAIO S Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com(Black)

SB17 seems to be for 62k. A little too much I think, especially for a 200MHz and 180GB bump. Windows 7 Professional is not a big deal IMHO, I could do just as well with Home Premium.

Krow said:
Thanks for your help too. :) I will check that out too, thanks for pointing out the option. :)

A really noobish question: Where do you check out Sony laptops (other than the Croma, Sony Store type places)? I would like to know where I can "shop around and bargain"?

I've been to Lamington Road in Mumbai quite a few times, but never with the intention of checking out a laptop. Please don't kill me for this noob question. :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, Sony VAIO S Series VPCSB17GG Laptop Price India: Buy Sony VAIO S Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com(Black)

SB17 seems to be for 62k. A little too much I think, especially for a 200MHz and 180GB bump. Windows 7 Professional is not a big deal IMHO, I could do just as well with Home Premium.
62990 is the MRP. On Sony Vaio you can get 6-8% discount easily if you shop around. Of course Croma, Sony stores won't give you such discounts. You need to shop at smaller laptop dealers to get such discounts. Lamington road I am sure you will find some shop where you can get 7% off on MRP. So the "street" price of SB 16 is 53k and SB17 is 58.5K

And going from SB16 to SB17 will be a good performance increase thanks to a faster hard drive and a better processor. Just for reference, the i5 2520M is on par with last year's Core i7 840QM. ( Which you could find in laptops costing 1.5lacs + last year)

Off Topic:

Your photos are amazing!!! :)

babu.mohan10 said:
62990 is the MRP. On Sony Vaio you can get 6-8% discount easily if you shop around. Of course Croma, Sony stores won't give you such discounts. You need to shop at smaller laptop dealers to get such discounts. Lamington road I am sure you will find some shop where you can get 7% off on MRP. So the "street" price of SB 16 is 53k and SB17 is 58.5K
And going from SB16 to SB17 will be a good performance increase thanks to a faster hard drive and a better processor. Just for reference, the i5 2520M is on par with last year's Core i7 840QM. ( Which you could find in laptops costing 1.5lacs + last year)
I'll try looking for bargains. Btw, I did not know that the MBP 13 has an MRP of 70k. Is that how much it sells for? If so then the ebay deal is truly wtf!

Off Topic:
Your photos are amazing!!! :)
Thanks a lot. :)

Back