Audio 5-10k IEMs for Cowon iAudio 7 & related queries.

esanthosh said:
^ That's better.

As for Audires, I'd say wait for a month more. There are a few things wrong with the setup now. Once I fix 'em, you are always welcome :)

Cool, what happened btw ? I guess the tinkering's gonna continue for a lot more than a month. :p
FaH33m said:
RE0 really requires a good amp to shine , so get it only if you don't mind investing another 100-200$ on an amp .I think a Fiio E7 would be bare minimum though its amp section doesn't look all that great.

Between the RE0 and RE-252 , RE-0 is more neutral like ruler flat neutral sound ,more transparent and at times gives the perception of being more detailed as well due to the unmatched transparency. (All this is with a good amp in picture). The RE-252 has a much wider soundstage ,is very much neutral as well but much more lively than RE0 due to a slightly (very slight) forward midrange . It has better speed and decay than the RE0 which can be easily noticed in fast transitions or while listening to electronica music of 150-190 BPM.It's slightly more detailed than RE0 but the detailing is not as easy to pick as in the RE-0. With RE-252 its like when you are doing a proper critical listening it sounds extremely detailed , while listening casually it just makes you feel good about the music with the smooth sound.

Both the RE-0 and RE252 have a extremely detailed and slightly sharp treble which might result in fatigue or headache if you are not used to such sound.

About the 252s fit, when I first got them it didnt fit me at all .It would keep slipping out of my ear every 5 mins and the sound was horrible due to the improper fit .I had almost given up on them but after ~2 weeks usage there was a minor change it the 252s housing since its made of a flexible gummy material .Now with the medium bi-flange it would be perfectly .Infact the seal and fit was so good , I felt as if I was using a custom in-ears ! The seal and fit has been an issue with almost everyone who's got an RE252 so you need to keep that in mind and not give up on them easily.

Also both the IEMs do not show any mercy at bad recording or low quality files and reveal the flaws so using 320 kbps /FLACs is suggested. Dont worry about your player ,the Cowon should do just fine .:)

Both the RE-0 and RE-252 are truly amazing IEMs and without any doubt the contenders for the best universal IEMs . RE-0 is lot more VFM at 80$ but with an amp in consideration it almost comes to the same price point .
Brilliant. Thanks for mentioning the comfort/fitting issue with the 252s, as well. Glad to know about Cowon's abilities too.

Yeah, as of now I am sticking with the Re 0. Next salary = amp. (as I mentioned before, any clue about ways to procure the Mini 3 amp ?...anyway, will bug you folks again for that :p )

Cheers.

alcy said:
Cool, what happened btw ? I guess the tinkering's gonna continue for a lot more than a month. :p

I was just talking about part 1 of 2322.

Guess iaudio will come up with a review within the next 2 days. We tested lot of permutations and combinations, so it might take sometime for him to finish it. We still left out lot of things pending due to lack of time. Hopefully sometime later, we can have a 2nd meet and see how it goes...

Actually RE0 + good amp would be lot more than RE252's price and you might still just get close to the RE-252's sound . If you are going to spend on an amp later , get the CK10 or RE252 instead. ;).

alcy said:
Next salary = amp. (as I mentioned before, any clue about ways to procure the Mini 3 amp ?...anyway, will bug you folks again for that :p )

Cheers.

If you want Mini 3 Amp ,join Head-fi and PM MisterX

Superfrag said:
I still suggest going for the re252 or the CK10. I've been using the RE0's and they're great, but in 10k you can do better.
FaH33m said:
Actually RE0 + good amp would be lot more than RE252's price and you might still just get close to the RE-252's sound . If you are going to spend on an amp later , get the CK10 or RE252 instead. ;).
Well. By the time you guys posted this, I had already placed the order for Re0, and recieved it today. Initial impression was wtf, followed by a conscious effort to observe the sound, thoughts of burn-in, switching between sources, pushing the Cowon to the limit. I am still at the initial impressions stage, will wait for some time. But then, as with most equipment I will get used to the sound and do what I do best - enjoy the music.

An amp is in the calling, for sure. Any idea about the Fiio E5 ? Lets just say, I am looking for something that won't make me push Cowon to crazy limits and still retain the details from the Re0. Asking for too much, am I ?

^aaah Congrats ! :D I hope the initial WTF reaction was in a good way ;). Fiio E5 won't get the best out the RE-0s , will just give you a good volume boost and a hump in the bass /mid-bass.

Its better than not having an amp at all but incase you plan to get a good portable amp later , skip the E5.

Thanks FaH33m, but to be honest, I am actually just looking for a volume boost, simply because I am not sure if pushing Cowon to the max will be a good thing ? I am actually satisfied with the details, it would be nice to have some warmth in the sound, so in that sense is E5 still a bad choice ? Any other "budget" options ?

EDIT 1: I didn't get the Re0 in that dragon-on-top shell/case ? Got it in a simple hard plastic case. Ok, guess that's how it is now.

EDIT 2: I also need to give tis some time. Sorry for rushing with amp queries and all that.

^ Yeah you do need about 50-60 hrs before the sound settles in . Going by your needs, a Fiio E5 should be good enough ;).

alcy said:
Initial impression was wtf, followed by a conscious effort to observe the sound, thoughts of burn-in, switching between sources, pushing the Cowon to the limit. I am still at the initial impressions stage, will wait for some time

First off, congrats :D

Ah! don't worry. I actually hated it for the first 20-25 hours. It was my costliest purchase in headphones/IEMs at that time and I was worried. Give it 50 hours, you will start to enjoy it more.

FiiO E5 should do ok for your needs.

Superfrag said:
Awesome. Enjoy them, they're definitely one of the best you can get under $100.
esanthosh said:
First off, congrats :D

Ah! don't worry. I actually hated it for the first 20-25 hours. It was my costliest purchase in headphones/IEMs at that time and I was worried. Give it 50 hours, you will start to enjoy it more.

FiiO E5 should do ok for your needs.
Thanks folks ! Yup, have actually started enjoying them, Cowon is doing a fine job as well. As far as Fiio E5 is concerned, I don't think I need it now but to satisfy a bit of spending binge, I think I will get one. :p

Back