Video 42" Plasma/LCD from dubai - budget 20k

salluks

Adept
I am coming down from dubai, and was shocked at the price difference of TV's in dubai and india:).

Anyway, from the seaching i've figured Panasonic 42 inch plasma seems to be the most recommended. is there any exact model i should be looking at??

I dont necessarily need full hd, i am fine with hd ready, hence the low budget. pls suggest!!

btw, has anybody heard good about nikura(http://www.nikurajapan.com/nikura_LCD_televisions.asp)??

a friend works for the company and can get the 42 inch there for 9k..:eek:hyeah:, will buy it even if its sheeit.

the linnk is not available

and in customs i think more than 32 or 36inch tv u have to pay a lot

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

the linnk is not available
and in customs i think more than 32 or 36inch tv u have to pay a lot

Guys, as long as you can show the purchase receipt totaling < 25K and carrying no other duty-able items, there won't be any customs duty on it.

But, with the box being heavy & big, won't the airlines charge heavily ?

ok, update

Just got 42 inch plasma worth 25k, but the custom guy says. despite the price of the tv, we will have to pay 16% customs based on the prices in india.

i convinced him and paid 1000 bucks, and he let go.

Any sites where I can check the rates of LCDs in Dubai?? My friend is going there next week... Maybe I can get one....
@salluks : Please help with what ever info you have... like what is the max weight he can carry from there?

salluks said:
I am coming down from dubai, and was shocked at the price difference of TV's in dubai and india:).
Anyway, from the seaching i've figured Panasonic 42 inch plasma seems to be the most recommended. is there any exact model i should be looking at??

I dont necessarily need full hd, i am fine with hd ready, hence the low budget. pls suggest!!

btw, has anybody heard good about nikura(http://www.nikurajapan.com/nikura_LCD_televisions.asp)??
a friend works for the company and can get the 42 inch there for 9k..:eek:hyeah:, will buy it even if its sheeit.
Wrong link given . Here you go http://www.nikurajapan.com/nikura_LCD_televisions.asp

No information is available in the web regarding this brand. So it is better to stay away from this and get a well known brand. Moreover it looks like cheap chinese make which is not pleasing. If you are getting this one for 9k, then definetly it is shit only. Your friend is trying to get business for his company through you... Better buy a good brand by paying more which makes sense..

anfjavid said:
Wrong link given . Here you go Nikura Japan - Electronics - LCD Televisions

No information is available in the web regarding this brand. So it is better to stay away from this and get a well known brand. Moreover it looks like cheap chinese make which is not pleasing. If you are getting this one for 9k, then definetly it is shit only. Your friend is trying to get business for his company through you... Better buy a good brand by paying more which makes sense..
Read post no.6

To better answer the question. It doesnt matter what you buy, as long as you buy anything that is less that 25K, it cannot be charged any duty. As per customs website. This only applies to items which are NOT:-
1. Firearms.
2. Cartridges of fire arms exceeding 50.
3. Cigarettes exceeding 200 or cigars exceeding 50 or tobacco exceeding 250 gms.
4. Alcoholic liquor or wines in excess of two litres .
5. Gold or silver, in any form, other than ornaments.

If an customs agent attempts to discard this rule and charge you any customs, gather his information, ask him to store the TV in customs, and contact vigilance. The custom agent's supervisor should help you in filing a complaint. Dont let any one of those clowns push you around.
BAGGAGE RULES

For passenger flights under economy class each person, is allowed to carry a total baggage weight of 25KG (this depends on carriers).

I plan on travelling to Malaysia, and picking up the 50inch Pana NeoPDP Plamsa. It retails at about 36K (its weight is around 28KG). My flight charges to and fro including weight allowance of 30KG is 12K (AirAsia) (https://booking.airasia.com). I also plan on picking up a few Iphones to sell here to my friends which should cover the flight fare. I used to stay in malaysia for about 20 years, and used to travel back and forth frequently. Customs, never bother you when you know their rules, and you make a stance saying you arent going to waste a single R.

Enough of OT. Hope I answered your question.

n00b said:
To better answer the question. It doesnt matter what you buy, as long as you buy anything that is less that 25K, it cannot be charged any duty. As per customs website. This only applies to items which are NOT:-

1. Firearms.

2. Cartridges of fire arms exceeding 50.

3. Cigarettes exceeding 200 or cigars exceeding 50 or tobacco exceeding 250 gms.

4. Alcoholic liquor or wines in excess of two litres .

5. Gold or silver, in any form, other than ornaments.

If an customs agent attempts to discard this rule and charge you any customs, gather his information, ask him to store the TV in customs, and contact vigilance. The custom agent's supervisor should help you in filing a complaint. Dont let any one of those clowns push you around.

BAGGAGE RULES

For passenger flights under economy class each person, is allowed to carry a total baggage weight of 25KG (this depends on carriers).

I plan on travelling to Malaysia, and picking up the 50inch Pana NeoPDP Plamsa. It retails at about 36K (its weight is around 28KG). My flight charges to and fro including weight allowance of 30KG is 12K (AirAsia) (https://booking.airasia.com). I also plan on picking up a few Iphones to sell here to my friends which should cover the flight fare. I used to stay in malaysia for about 20 years, and used to travel back and forth frequently. Customs, never bother you when you know their rules, and you make a stance saying you arent going to waste a single R.

Enough of OT. Hope I answered your question.
Very nice informative post - repped :)

I think its their trick to get some money out from us..

my lcd was 32 kgs including the wall mount, bangalore is much easier, they only stop you if u have a big package with you, i doubt they'll even notice if you get smaller items like xbox or phones..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

about Nikura, its also called Nikai, my roomate works there.its started by some indian guy and uses japanese tech.. if u want a good deal on it..i can talk to him

very informative .... thanks guys

now i can ask my bro to get an LED from there as he is working in abu dhabi for past 3 yrs.

he just came a week bak and left after 5 days .... let me contact him as he scheduled to come bak in 2 months

Back