Storage Solutions 40Gb USB HDD Not Detecting

Asky

Adept
My frnds 40GB USB HDD just stopped working a few days ago.
when i connect the HDD thru the USB port it says 'new hardware found' and all tht BUT i cannot see any partitions.
my friend dropped it once ...maybe from 1 feet above...but it was working fine tht day....2 days later when he tried it did not work.
as the drive was bought by his dad in Japan theres no warranty.
nething i can try?
Help appreciated :)

Yep tried diff pcs/USB ports.

As far as powering it on before connecting....its powered by the USB port only (i.e like those pen drives we have).

there is something fishy there...because normal HDD dont run frm USB power only laptop HDDs can do that.If u wanna run nor mal HDDs u must use 2 USB ports for power.Does that enclosure thing has a PS/2 socket on it (similar to the PS/2 mouse plug).

nope no PS/2 plug.
it MAYBE a laptop HDD afterall...as u said only Laptop HDD are able to do tht?
BUT what then?
Laptop HDDs have a BETTER chance of getting repaired??
:huh:

it defenitely looks like a alptop hdd.

did u open the enclosure and check whether there is any loose connection bitween the hdd and the dabba

Trying to DO tht only :)
Will report back.
Thnx a lot Kumar.
BUT the strange thing is tht IT GETS DETECTED but i cannot see any Partitions.
if there was loose contact it wudnt have got detected na?

which os u using? if u're using xp sp2, right click on my computer icon > manage > disk management > right click on "your drive" > import foreign disk option if available (not greyed out)

Kumar said:
there is something fishy there...because normal HDD dont run frm USB power only laptop HDDs can do that.If u wanna run nor mal HDDs u must use 2 USB ports for power.Does that enclosure thing has a PS/2 socket on it (similar to the PS/2 mouse plug).
but kumar the normal hdd's do require +12V for the motor, and usb port has +5V only.

perhaps you meant high capacity laptop hdd's, since they (all laptop hdd's) run on +5V only and drawing power from 2 usb ports provides more +5V power for these high capacity laptop drives.

or

do you get normal ide drives(3 1/2") which requires only +5V for operation.?
please remove my doubts.

but kumar the normal hdd's do require +12V for the motor, and usb port has +5V only.

Thats why 3.5" HDD enclosures require the power brick.But i read somewhere that u can use 2 USB ports for the rquired juice.

Here is the whole deal (as i understand)

Normal 3.5" HDD:
Larger and need more power.So use a power brick.(or 2 USB ports but im not sure about it)

Laptop HDDs:
Smaller,require low power (as they run off batteries)so only require 1 USB port for power.

Correct me if im wrong :)

Back