40" LED TV ~ 40k-50k Edit: Bought LG 42LN5710

DarkAngel

Skilled
I want to buy a new 40" LED TV.

Usage :
Series (Eztv prints - 1Mbps print, occasionally the 3-4 Mbps HD print)
Movies ( usually 2GB 1080p yify rips and rarely 7GB 1080p rips)
Airtel HD+ - Cricket in HD, Nat Geo/ Discovery in HD

Will add a decent HT system (~15ish) after few months.

Will keep the TV for 7 yrs-10 yrs if it works all right till then.

Panasonic TH-L42E5D - 48k - Seems to be on sale in FK. Last I checked it cost 53kish in FK
LG 42LS5700 - 53k

Planning to buy it 10 days and I will be in Bangalore by then. So can get Panny from FK too if the price on offer is the best.

With the price cut the Panny seems a good buy. How is the Samsung 40EH5330?

Prefer LED since they consume much lesser power and TV with good no of ports is preferred. Should play file size > 4GB (i.e., should recognize NTFS formatting)

@Gannu @adder @medpal

Update: Location - bangalore
No Grey market. Require manufacturer warranty

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the samsung,they just have the sheer contrast advantage over the lg and panasonic.It also superior in the image processing department.They also have the best smart tv interface and apps.
While i haven't seen the EH5330 i doubt there will be any difference compared to other series 5 LED in terms of picture quality.

Do note samsung has also launched their new 2013 F series,i don't expect much difference compared to old ones but the new models will have a faster processing inside for smart tv application and since Sony is not using samsung panels for 2013 means that samsung is more likely to use their own panels in their tvs so chances of panel lottery in 2013 models will be low.

You can also check for samsung models in grey market,chances are you will save some 10k or so by buying from grey market.

If your from Bombay, check out Kohinoor at Dadar. Bought the Panasonic L42E5D for 45k back in November. They apparently have excellent rates for Panasonic products - make sure you speak to the store manage Sunil as the other sales guys quote much higher. At the time, I got a 12Month interest Free EMI + a panasonic rice cooker + some coupons for online movies free.
The TV is quite good, processor seems to be very fast. Reads 1tb External hard disks in a jiffy and pretty much most file types - just did not read a few flash files that I had. Sound is excellent for LED's and contrast is similar to the Samsung 39EH5009 which I also have. The Samsung may have a slight advantage with contrast but not worth the premium I would say.

Apologies man, I’ve lost touch of the display scene for some time now! So I may not be able to give you specific inputs. Regardless, if you desire to have a flawless USB playback, opt for a Samsung. They have a clutter free simple UI with lag-free operations and supports plenty of formats over USB. I am not sure if LG has improved now but previously their displays failed to play few formats properly - sometimes the audio playback would not be supported when the video plays fine. I read somewhere on the forums that Panasonic also supports good media playback over USB - might be worth a try. Sony still does not play these formats IINM and does not recognize NTFS formatted drives - that would be a major bummer. Take a hard drive filled with medias of different formats and containers and test it out to your heart’s content.

Thanks guys. But need something with regular warranty.

@bottle - Just saw from your Gallery you have a Panasonic TH-L42E5D. Can you please give me a mini review?
Does it play all popular formats properly? PQ, SQ?

Its good, IPS panel so PQ and viewing angles are good. Cons would be the irritating glossy front.

SQ is lousy as with all flat screen tv's

Depends on placement , I had to hang a thick curtain opposite it since there was a window there.

Format support should be ok, haven't tried extensively though

For your use I would suggest a Plasma. Only caveat would be there should not a bright window bang opposite the TV. You would get the picture quality of a LED that costs twice as much. A Sammy 43F4900 costs ~35-40k. No LED would give you the picture that this plasma (or, LG PS45 series, Panny X/XT series) would give. Just take a few rips, incl. the ez-tv ones and take a demo and you would realize what I am typing out here.

Format support: don't buy a TV based on format support. You can very easily buy a media player for max. 5k and play any&everything. TV must be bought based on picture quality only.

I would also suggest that you buy extended warranty. Would give peace of mind for at least 3 years. With LG you can buy more.
Sammy extended warranty is quite expensive compared with Sony & LG's; so when the cost of extended warranty is factored in, Sammy turns out to be more expensive than Sony! Sammy does not offer extended warranty on plasmas, LG does.

@DarkAngel LG LG LG.
VFM, Throw any file format(ntfs/fats) and very nice picture quality. I connect a 2TB WD ext drive and it plays full HD movie files directly. Even the seeking speed is decent. IPS panels not too glossy or reflective.
I own a lw5700 model. size 42" and viewing distance 6-7feet. Have french windows behind the sitting area and towards the left of the TV.

@DarkAngel LG LG LG.
VFM, Throw any file format(ntfs/fats) and very nice picture quality. I connect a 2TB WD ext drive and it plays full HD movie files directly. Even the seeking speed is decent. IPS panels not too glossy or reflective.
I own a lw5700 model. size 42" and viewing distance 6-7feet. Have french windows behind the sitting area and towards the left of the TV.
does it play DTS HDMA files also ?

The Sony 42" W650A looks awesome :D But sadly costs 62,900 everywhere. They claim this can now play mkv and supports more formats than 2012 model.

The new LG 42LS5710 has wifi built in. It costs ~57k from adhiswar (best quote) and ~58.5k from LG store. LG store offers a free universal remote and a wireless headset free. You can even connect a regular or wireless keyboard to this TV in order to type text while browsing.

The Panny model is out of stock at most places and costs 53k now. The newer 2013 model is expected in few days and is expected to cost around 58k.
The samsung new 40" model costs ~58kish.

Leaning towards the LG model now.

Well i know you said no grey market but perhaps the price might change your mind.:p
I am assuming you are interested in tvs with IPS panel ,the Sony 42W670 with IPS panel and built in wifi is said to available for around 46k in mumbai grey,so should be around 48k in bangalore grey.

The optional add on USB wifi for models that doesn't have wifi is 1.6k or so.

@DarkAngel flipkart selling it cheaper rates 52880/-

http://www.flipkart.com/lg-42ls5700...6G3E&ref=354c0ee8-234b-49b8-ad12-ea5a0daed573

on very same page 1 reviewer posted that it has issue with DTS audio , if u have time , check some sample file @ showroom to make it clear whether it plays DTS or not .

That is the older 2012 model. The new LG one is LN57 series and has built in wifi and TV recording.[DOUBLEPOST=1368954552][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well i know you said no grey market but perhaps the price might change your mind.:p
I am assuming you are interested in tvs with IPS panel ,the Sony 42W670 with IPS panel and built in wifi is said to available for around 46k in mumbai grey,so should be around 48k in bangalore grey.

The optional add on USB wifi for models that doesn't have wifi is 1.6k or so.

Worth the risk? Does sony service TV's (paid ones) if its from the grey market?

Back