40~42" LED Sony v/s Samsung

I am planning to buy a ~40" LED. The only confusion is between the companies. Its either Sony or Samsung. Samsung is higher on features like USB to USB transfers,multiformat direct play. Though both are non smart TV's. I am unable to compare the picture quality because both are located at different dealers. Sony one is ~4k costlier than samsung. What to do? Do sony have better picture quality?

Never go for Sony. You may get lured by the SPVA panel which they offer as agasint the panel lottery system which samsung adopts (that too not sure about the current situation for both the brands).

After 2-3 years you will start getting colour banding issue which is famous among Sony sets. In 2009, i had a 32" sony TV bought from Singapore and after 2 years , the banding issue started. When called Sony rogues, they just said the PANEL has to be replaced which will cost more than 10k (dont remember their quote) and 30 days warranty will be provided.

I was under the impression that it is my bad luck , a Sony TV going kaput so soon. Subsequently a couple of years back i bought 2 CX52 40" LCDs with the new X-reality picture engine one for myself and the other for my uncle. I chose SONY because i read about the panel lottery system of Sammy (they just randomly chose TVs and install SPVA panels or SMVA panels) . So one cannot judge whether the TV which they buy has a SMVA or SPVA panel before buying . On the other hand SONY TVs superior lineups have a sure shot SPVA panel.

I was lured and was very happy that i didnt go for Samsung and bought Sony. True, that the picture quality was amazing but the life span of the panel is very short. I paid 43k for my TV and after a couple of months bought it for my uncle for 38k. The Sammy had good video format capabilities, but i chose SONY though i knew it is crap when it comes to video format support the reason is i can go for a Media player.

Just a couple of days back it was very sad to hear from my uncle that the TV developed banding and they were very disappointed. Only then i realised and googled to find that there are a lot of Sony ones suffering from this kind of issue. My cousins have Sammy LCDs and they were working flawlessly even now. I havent contacted Sony to ask what can be done for this issue yet, as i am pretty well sure that they will suggest a panel replacement and commit daylight robbery if i agree with it.

So my sincere advise is NEVER GO FOR SONY !!!!

My Sony 2x 32" Sony and 46CX520 are 8 ,6 and 2.5 years old respectively with no issues whats so ever and they where all bought from the grey market with no warranty.
If you google you are bound to found complaints on every brand ,FYI samsung has more complaints then Sony.
The Sony models from 2012 support much more media formats including mkv and it also support NTFS formated HDD.

@OP
Both Sony and Samsung are good brands but unless you mention the model its difficult to say which is better.
In the Sony unless you opt for a W600 and above models ,the low end ones such as R452 are just average,they do however come with a VA panel.
Same goes to samsung models such as F4xxx are just average .

If you are a gamer the W6xx and above Sony models have the lowest input lag of any modern flat panel tv(plasma included) they also have one of the fastest start up time.

The samsung models do still support slightly more media formats then Sony.

Sony and Samsung are reputed brands. Decide on the basis of features and picture quality and not on price. You can't go wrong with any of these. Good Luck.

@ adder. Actually what i meant is this banding problem is familiar in several Sonys when compared to Sammys.

@ OP. Its your decision mate. Let the others vote as to which LCD is reliable at the moment.

Sorry to hijack the thread :(
But I am also in the same confusion to get either Sony or Samsung.

Last year November I got a Samsung 40 inches EH5000 and its working well and has good picture quality.
Recently I was thinking to get a TV as for myself for gaming as well so was looking at Sony W700 series in the 40 to 47 inches range but was mighty confused to got with Sony or Samsung considering the Sony models have the least Input lag hmm.
Sony W670 is also a good model.

At my friends place recently i saw a Panasonic IPS model and I was truly impressed by the picture quality of the IPS panel.
No idea about the LG models at all. May be someone who has LG TVs can comment.

@OP can you please share what models of Sony and Samsung you have shortlisted ?
Then we can definitely help you better.

Why you guys have look at Panasonic E series i own one and its complete worth..!:)
I was also in a dilemma of choosing Sony and Panasonic but "Quality" that what i saw in Panasonic..!

Am looking for Samsung F5100. The sony's xx452 lacks many features like no HDD playback, no multiformat support and i went to reliance digital to compare both panels on same video and i percieved(personal opinion) when i compared that the sony's colors were more over saturated than the samsung's naturality. the only drawback of samsung is that it doesnt have a 3.5mm output jack i guess, so it will be difficult to connect 5.1 systems.

Back