Video 3D TV: Now or Later? (or never?)

iamkapur

Recruit
Not really thinking 3d has much to offer (yet) but if more and more contents are becoming 3D compatible, is it good to get a 3D TV now?

i am not sure about this but i have read in many places that 3d tv viewing causes nausea and headache and is not good for health over a long run.

i am not sure about this but i have read in many places that 3d tv viewing causes nausea and headache and is not good for health over a long run.

That's right.
Whenever you are watching 3D, you are focusing your eyes at something which doesn't exist.
I can watch 3D movies for couple of hours, but only in IMAX and once or twice a month. Everyday 3D? No, thank you very much. I'll stick to 2D.

Yesterday saw Avengers in 3D on Samsung 6030R and it was amazing. Felt just like theater.
I too did not care much for 3D earlier, but once I saw it in action, totally different experience ... Highly recommended!

Passive 3d sets have always got an edge over the active sets as they are light weighted, deliver flicker free images.
There is also a bit of risk related to health aspects as well in active(they causes headache) while the same is not true for passive ones...

Bought Samsung UA46ES6220 active 3d. Yet to be installed but took a demo at store. To be really honest there is still a long way to go for really true 3d experience on current devices. There was flicker for sure. Coming to content how many times can you really see Avataar or Avengers. The files are large and its really that you have a "wow" once in a while and be happy that your set can do 3d. But in true sense its still a long way to go.

Having said that, manufacturers are really forcing us to adopt 3d. The reason is that non 3d tv's are low end in other features as well. Have less connectivity features, often dont have smart features, wifi, and with poor refresh rates. Its almost that today if you want a good panel, you will end up buying a 3d tv.

Having said that, eagerly awaiting installer to install my TV so that I can watch my first 2 3D movies :)

Bought Samsung UA46ES6220 active 3d. Yet to be installed but took a demo at store. To be really honest there is still a long way to go for really true 3d experience on current devices. There was flicker for sure. Coming to content how many times can you really see Avataar or Avengers. The files are large and its really that you have a "wow" once in a while and be happy that your set can do 3d. But in true sense its still a long way to go.

Having said that, manufacturers are really forcing us to adopt 3d. The reason is that non 3d tv's are low end in other features as well. Have less connectivity features, often dont have smart features, wifi, and with poor refresh rates. Its almost that today if you want a good panel, you will end up buying a 3d tv.

Having said that, eagerly awaiting installer to install my TV so that I can watch my first 2 3D movies :)

Wow, congo on your new buy.
It's quite hard to understand why you bought active 3d knowing that you would be getting flicker in them. you should have gone with passive 3d so that you can overcome any flicker and experience a far more clear picture as compared to active 3D sets.

Back