300 mbps wifi router slower for playing videos over wifi than 150 Mbps router

Hi all,
I have set up an Atom powered PC as a file server with Windows 7 which also serves as my download rig.
The networking needs for my home is handled by an Asus RT-N10+ 150 mbps router.I have shared a 2 TB drive on my Atom rig from which I play my movies on my laptop via the connected network drive and also on my Tab and phone via ES File Explorer.
This setup worked ok for me .Only issue was with .wmv files which gave a pause of 1-2 secs while skipping through the file in Media player classic (Ctrl+left arrow).
Yesterday only I got a new router with a wifi speed of 300 Mbps (Asus RT-N12 LX) which I hoped would solve this issue.I had to set up the router in 20 Mhz mode so that I could get the full single way speed of 144 Mbps on my laptop and I was hoping that this lag issue in videos would go away.
Now the problem that I faced is that all my videos(.avi,.mkv,.mp4 everything in short) are lagging while trying to skip through (even those which didn't lag earlier).
Now can some of the networking gurus like varkey help me out if I am doing something wrong or did I pick the worst router ever????????

And another thing is that my S3 while connecting to this router shows a link speed of 72 Mbps although it supports 300 Mbps (it should at least get somewhat close to the 144 Mbps right!!!)

If this thing works out then it is okay or else I think I will be biting the bullet and getting myself a Gigabit+300Mbps router.Can someone point out a tried and tested model for the usage scenario I specified

Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

I am upgrading the firmware in the new router .Hoping that it works fine now.:cheers:

.wmv videos skipping in MPC is not abnormal depending on how the player and codecs are configured, a fresh install of the player would have fixed it. VLC will seek through .wmv files without the pause, as will Windows Media Player. This specific issue is not something that a router upgrade will help with because it isn't a network issue.

The Laptop comes with some sort of Qualcomm access manager software which shows the link speed of 144 Mbps(Sitting 5 feet away from router) unlike the Windows Network info crap which shows 300 Mbps at all times.Moving away around 30 feet from the router brings down the speed to 97 Mbps which is still okay.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are suggesting that VLC will be a better choice for me when it comes to .wmv. BTW the install was done with the default config as I am not too conversant in video codecs .Only DXVA was enabled.

Back