Audio 2.1 speaker setup! Please help!!

TROOP3R

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

For this query, I need your insight on how to accomplish this. I have a 2.1 speaker setup for my desktop. The two speakers are on top of the computer table and the woofer has been acoomodated in-between the the table's space.

I want to move the woofer out to a more open space, where the sound can free travel. I intend to place the woofer on a cupboard which is exactly opposite to my computer table. As in, I were facing the computer screen, I would ghave my back towards that cupboard on which the woofer should be seated.

Now, my dilemma is how to connect that woofer to the sound card (x-fi usb), as the cable is not long enough to connect the two, the woofer's out to the sound card's in.

Is there a way I can achieve this setup? Is there an extension woofer cable available, and if so, what's it called??

Looking forward to hear form you'all...

Thanks in advance!!

(** Note - I was Unsure about wireless speakers/connectivity etc., so...)

What brand speakers do you have, specifically what all cables are connected to the woofer? You can find extension speaker cables at your local audio/PC store. The car audio stores will also have some cables which you can use. Don't spend too much on the cable if you have a cheap setup.

The sound is not directional if that is what you are aiming for.
A woofer can be placed anywhere but should preferably be placed on the floor and not on cupboards/wooden showcases etc. There should always be some open space (more than a couple inches) between the woofer and surrounding walls/tables/doors etc.

Speakers are Sony SRS-D9 2.1 - what's the extension cable called...?

I thought, if the woofer is placed atop a cupboard, (that's the only open space I have) - so the sound produced, will travel more freely within my room...

please suggest a more suitable placement??

Checked an unboxing video and it looks like the woofer cable has some proprietary connector. Take a pic of the cable with the connector and ask at your nearby audio/electronics shops. You can also ask at an authorized sony dealer.

The last option would be cutting the wire in two and adding a similar wire in between. This will most probably void warranty and may degrade sound quality based on quality of the added wire and the joints. I wouldn't recommend this.

Woofer placement is up to you completely. As the woofer itself vibrates, the surface it is placed on should be as stable as possible. Best place would be on the floor and a little bit away from all walls. Place it at all possible locations and play your favourite bass heavy song and check which location sounds better. If the cupboard location sounds better due to open space then that is fine.

The wire is very short on this model, so it will be a bit of cut and join for you. If warranty is crossed do it. I do not think it will add much though; as the model is anyways bass heavy; and as low frequency are not directional; placement may not matter much.

thanks pr0ing (for the effort of watching the unboxing video)
and thanks to adi_vastava for your inputs...

let me see what best suits the given circumstances... will hit back, if needed!

I appreciate all the help...

Back