Linux 1800Rs - Cheap Linux Hardware for Embedded Applications

albert007

Disciple
For those interested in Robotics and Automation using Embedded Linux but don't want to shell huge amount on evaluation boards, here is something you can play around with.

In nehruplace you can find this wi-fi router for as low as 1800/- rupee.

Extend its I/O capabilities using this h/w and do some interesting stuffs like controlling your robot using android phone over wifi.

Happy Hacking.

Interesting!
<

I guess you can club the OpenUI with a Pogoplug as well?

Yes, openUI works with almost every linux h/w, i tried it on my X86Laptop and Mips based MR3220 h/w.

all you need is LIRC and openUI daemon to control this h/w.

Thanks for this post. BTW, any links to this router's description page ? And is it possible to use the router without the openUI hardware, and control it directly via WiFi or ethernet interface through ssh ?

yes it is possible to use router without openUI hw, and also you can use connectbot android app to access routers command line through ssh.

This is possible with every router running ssh daemon.

Main purpose of openUI h/w and android app was to extend capabilities of a router to do more than its intended purpose.

Is there any other such cheaply priced ARM Linux hardware worth buying for experimenting with ?

I've booked Ubislate 7+ already (which should hopefully arrive in a month of two) and am planning to buy this router maybe in a couple of weeks. Since you've obviously experimented a lot with such stuff, I'm looking for suggestions. I don't think 400MHz ARM CPU and 32mb RAM in this router is enough for a streaming, local file cloud, torrent and mini webserver setup.

#MHG

The Raspberry PI should be available for purchase in 1-2 weeks.

And the thread I linked above describes how to get the Pogoplug to India. Getting an item from US is not at all difficult nor very expensive.

here is a complied list of linux boards available in India for ordering,
Low Cost Linux boards in India | Embedded World
The costs of none of the boards mentioned on your site are exactly what a hobbyist could afford. Maybe if one is looking to work professionally, they would be worth the moolah.

For hackers and hobbyists, the Raspberry Pi would be much cheaper (when it's available in large quantities). The original router mentioned by OP is also at a very accessible price.

The costs of none of the boards mentioned on your site are exactly what a hobbyist could afford. Maybe if one is looking to work professionally, they would be worth the moolah.

For hackers and hobbyists, the Raspberry Pi would be much cheaper (when it's available in large quantities). The original router mentioned by OP is also at a very accessible price.

Yes & Yes, But these are the only few boards i found available for ordering easily in India. Since Raspberry pi is not yet available here, Beagle bone is the one which is the cheapest at 6K approx. And when i came across these boards i was looking for boards with good support community and documentation for learning embedded linux driver development and low level hardware access kind of stuff.

Back