110 to 220V voltage converter(550W)....

Trajan

Adept
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a mixie to use it in the US... when i enquired abt 110 to 220 V converter, they said that it would cost 1600 bucks.... while the converter for other way round is only 200 bucks....

have any of u guys got 110 to 220V converter? where can i get it in chennai... want it ugently...

Buy the other converter and reverse the plug and socket. Im hoping its only a transformer inside. If its using some other electronics for conversion then nothing can be done.

Raghu.

^ It is a transformer only, one's a step-up and the other a step down. I'm not sure whether what you suggested will work Raghu, theoretically maybe, but the winding setup maybe different in both.

Ask Chaos, he would know about it.

Trajan said:
the mixie is rated at 550W... will usually converters cost 1.6k???

yes, 550W transformer will cost anywhere in range of 1200-1600 depending on core and winding quality. You will ideally need even larger transformer for 550W mixie considering efficiency.

Those rs.200 converter will not be able to handle 550w, they are useful for low wattage only.

hi u will easily get mixie in 110 volts for US. preethi, philips, sumeet mixie is available at around 2200-2800 rs. dont waste money on buying converters. and easily these converters weigh in the range of 5 kilos. why to add this weight to ur journey

Anish said:
^ It is a transformer only, one's a step-up and the other a step down. I'm not sure whether what you suggested will work Raghu, theoretically maybe, but the winding setup maybe different in both.

Ask Chaos, he would know about it.

Yes. It would work, practically too.

vijaycool said:
hi u will easily get mixie in 110 volts for US. preethi, philips, sumeet mixie is available at around 2200-2800 rs. dont waste money on buying converters. and easily these converters weigh in the range of 5 kilos. why to add this weight to ur journey

Thats the best thing to do. And if possible exchange the mixie from the place you bought it.

Raghu.

Raghunandan said:
Buy the other converter and reverse the plug and socket. Im hoping its only a transformer inside. If its using some other electronics for conversion then nothing can be done.

Raghu.

Trajan said:
guys... i bought the converter.... thought of changing the mixie but decided against it....

:boxed: Whew!!!

I think a life got saved here!!!

Trajan said:
guys... i bought the converter.... thought of changing the mixie but decided against it....

you should have changed the motor instead, it would have been cheaper. Even in Rathna Stores, Chennai, they advice to change the motor instead of buying a converter.

Electricity can kill people, and I think it's extremely irresponsible and dangerous to suggest to people to fiddle around with mains equipment when you, or that person may not know how that equipment functions.

I shudder to think what would have happened if that advice had been followed. As adults we owe each other some respect and the debt of knowledge and responsibility. If we suggest something as dangerous as fiddling with mains connections, and something happens to that person, who takes the fall for it?

Specially when people ask for advice here. They expect we know exactly what we are talking about, and your post clearly instructs somebody to take a mains-connected device, connect it in reverse, and "see what happens". Without knowing exactly what is inside it and what indeed would happen if you connected it in reverse.

That is completely irresponsible - we are not talking OC or tweaking, the voltages here can kill somebody in a few seconds. Such advice is dangerous and if heeded, the resposibility for consequences (at least morally) is on the person who gives the advice.

That's all, really. Rest is up to your conscience and judgement.

sangram said:
Electricity can kill people, and I think it's extremely irresponsible and dangerous to suggest to people to fiddle around with mains equipment when you, or that person may not know how that equipment functions.

I said that if its a transformer inside it can be reversed. Obviously when he opens it up he is going to know whats inside. And just because its the mains you dont even go near it. You just need to have an average amount of common sense.

sangram said:
I shudder to think what would have happened if that advice had been followed. As adults we owe each other some respect and the debt of knowledge and responsibility. If we suggest something as dangerous as fiddling with mains connections, and something happens to that person, who takes the fall for it?

I wasnt asking him to aimlessly fiddle with the mains till it works. I specifically asked him to reverse the connections. Specific advice is not called fiddling.

sangram said:
Specially when people ask for advice here. They expect we know exactly what we are talking about, and your post clearly instructs somebody to take a mains-connected device, connect it in reverse, and "see what happens". Without knowing exactly what is inside it and what indeed would happen if you connected it in reverse.

I didnt ask him to "see what happens". I said it "WILL" work if its a transformer inside. I really doubt if you know anything about a transformer or electrical devices.

sangram said:
That is completely irresponsible - we are not talking OC or tweaking, the voltages here can kill somebody in a few seconds. Such advice is dangerous and if heeded, the resposibility for consequences (at least morally) is on the person who gives the advice.

Do you even understand electricity? How do you say that its dangerous? You dont cite any reason. Amazing ignorance!!

Raghu.

I absolutely agree with sangram here. When I was a kid, I tried to make a step up transformer to give 220V from a 6V rechargeable battery. I thought it would be as simple as connecting a step down transformer in reverse. The transformer I used was rated for 220V Input and 6V output. I made the connections to the battery on the 6V side and used a multimeter on the other side to measure the voltage. When I turned on the power, the multimeter showed a reading of 1000V for a jiffy and then got burnt. I didnt know what happened and was naive enough to touch the output leads and got a severe shock. Without the proper circuitry to regulate the output voltage, you never know know how much It will give. Also the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils are calculated using formulae. So its not as simple as reversing the connections on a transformer.

The thing I did was with a 6V battery, Imagine what can happen when you are dealing with 220V AC. what would happen if the guy tries and gets 2000V through his mixie, who would be responsible if the mixie explodes and cause injuiries to the people nearby. Think again, I wouldn't dare give such advice pertaining to electricity to anybody unless I am absolutely certain about what I am telling and I am sure that it works.

Wow! I hope you know the difference between a 6V DC coming out of the battery and 220V AC. A transformer doesnt step-up or step-down DC voltages :rofl: Goodbye thread

Raghu.

Raghunandan said:
Wow! I hope you know the difference between a 6V DC coming out of the battery and 220V AC. A transformer doesnt step-up or step-down DC voltages :rofl: Goodbye thread

Raghu.

Well, for your info, a transformer does step up the voltages and can also generate AC from DC. :bleh: You just need center tap transformer and some way to switch the DC supply to the taps fast. Its the very basis for a simple inverter circuit. If you wanna see for real, try it out with a 6V battery and a center tap transformer normally used for charging the battery. You would get the shock of your life. :rofl:

Are we talking liability here..hehe. There is none...in this country.

Any advice taken here is on your own risk from any website. If it does not work, very confident eveyone will find out fast. That's the beauty of forums like this, truth serum, answers and hopefully reliable ones faster.

If you kill yer self or the cat, no one is to blame, but the person who acted on the advice.

Back