Wi-Fi Router for Pacenet Broadband

I hope the N14 is a good choice ..... I was running out of time. The N13U-B1 is very hard to find today (no stocks anywhere).
Good choice for your reqs ? it will suffice.

Would not be a good choice for anybody looking for 3rd party fw support as it has a mediatek chipset and no 3rd party fw exists as yet. Usually range is little less with mediatek compared to ralinks which are present in the N12 & N13. Thing is i've found people here comment that range was pretty good despite it. So reports have been positive, there was one with the N10U which is a cheaper version which we though would be no good.

I think you will be fine but you will be restricted to stock fw. Not a biggie.

Pity the N13 isn't available anymore, it was a classic. N12 is pretty good too and that's all there is left, but its pricey. runs tomato. There's two guys here that have it, Sei & Eddy and they like it a lot.

This means we need a replacement for the N13U, any contenders out there ? good range & 3rd party support desirable.

Last edited:
Usually range is little less with mediatek compared to ralinks which are present in the N12 & N13
N12 has a Broadcom chipset, thats why it has tomato support.

edit: is this good Asus RT-N12
Ordered the Asus RT-N14U from FK for 3999 - awaiting delivery
Oops missed this. If you don't need the USB port, you have a few nice options - RT-N12, Linksys E900/E1200. You could cancel your order and get one of these instead.
The N12 you were looking at is the old Rev 1 version (which also had some reports of instability). There's the newer C1 variant that is priced correctly.

The 3rd antenna for the N13U would work in receive mode only. What this means is the N13U will have a higher upload rate ( client --> N13) ie more sensitive than the N13U-B1. Same applies to any N300 model with three antennas instead of two (eg. various 3 antenna tp-links and N16).
It depends on the MIMO config. In the N16 its 2x3, so in this case its correct that only the receive stream(s) can use all 3 antennas. But there are even 3x3 N300 routers (like the TP-Link WR941ND) which can use all 3 antennas for transmit streams as well.

Oops missed this. If you don't need the USB port, you have a few nice options - RT-N12, Linksys E900/E1200. You could cancel your order and get one of these instead.
The N12 you were looking at is the old Rev 1 version (which also had some reports of instability). There's the newer C1 variant that is priced correctly.

Dammmmmm ... (apologies). Suggestions came in a wee bit late. FK has already processed the N14U & I may receive it today.

Besides would they entertain a cancellation at this stage & moreover for an alternate product N12-C1 which is a savings of Rs 2200/- for me ?

I will stick to the N14U - hopefully it will serve me well. No problems matey
@Crazy_Eddy .... always appreciate your inputs & help.

Incidently - I had placed orders for 3 items from FK on the same day & time
1] Nikkon 35mm f1.8 lens ...... DELIVERED YESTERDAY
2] 52mm Hoya UV Fliter for the above (this was in a combo deal)..... PENDING DELIVERY
3] Asus RT-N14U ...... PENDING DELIVERY

I gave my n13u for rma, and as that was stopped I had to pay 200 bucks and I got a n14u in return! Lucky me I guess :D
Can you comment on the difference between N13 & N14 in performance & range at extended distances ?

Closer distance i doubt there be much difference.[DOUBLEPOST=1394775811][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nice, had missed it earlier and noticed they wanted 3.5k, and even the D1 still has a broadcom chipset.

Why couldn't they have also released a RevC1 for the N13 :(

Last edited:
It gave out in less than a year (!)

That is not the norm.

Indeed. I had a weird problem.

Whenever I created a password-protected network and tried joining it through any of my devices, it wouldn't connection. Authentication error on android devices, something similar on laptop. Via the lan cable it worked fine, so the internet on my desktop was alright.

The only way to bypass this was if I created an open network. Then it would work fine. Anyone and everyone could connect to it. But you can't possibly keep an open network Wi-Fi network in central Calcutta!

i've noticed this at times with my wndr3800, mobile devices just refuse to connect to the router. The only way was to restart the router. This has happened only about twice in the last year. If it happens more often then something is not right.

Yes it's happened to me on a cheap iBall router, but I thought at that time maybe I'm doing wrong (which I wasn't), but the iBall router fixed itself in an hour.

Perhaps I shouldn't say 'cheap iBall router', because it's my oldest working router even now. Working since mid 2009 and I think I only paid 1500 or something for it.

Back