TP-LINK 1043ND vs TPLINK 8970

jinvidia

Adept
Hello guys I need urgent suggestions on TPLINK 1043ND and the TPLINK 8970. I am aware that the later has ADSL function. I have already used 1043ND v1 and it satisfied my needs except the lack of guest network . I will not be streaming anything to my media player or TV but I may do in future. As of now I need a good wireless solution which will cover up two floors with 2000 sq.ft area. Also lan file transfer speed should be good at least within the same floor.

I have already purchased the TPLINK 8970, but I want to know if the 1043ND will be better than 8970 in terms of performance, price , stability and feature set. The 1043ND comes with 3 antennas and I hope the wireless range will be better than the 8970.

Kindly suggest if the 1043ND will outweigh the 8970.
Thanx in advance.[DOUBLEPOST=1454142589][/DOUBLEPOST]Kindly reply soon guys. I am in need of help desperately

Last edited:
Since you have already purchased the 8970 and if the wireless range is not upto expectations, configure an accesspoint (wired) at the desired location. You dont need a very expensive router for setting up an AP, a TP-Link 841N would do nicely.

I have a TP-Link 4300 router as my gateway in my room and an 841N as my access point in the hall. It gives me good coverage throughout the house.

As far as browsing is concerned I can adjust with the existing router itself. But the WLAN file transfer speed is very pathetic and gives transfers in kBs. How about WLAN file transfer speed in your case with the AP mate?.

What about other brands like asus and dlink mate?. Is an AP necessary even with those brands?

I havent really tested the transfer speeds across wireless in my setup. The wireless transfer speed depends on several factors like distance between the nodes, the wireless capabilities of each node, encryption etc. I dont think any brand has a significant advantage in this case. I suggested an AP because most of the time the gateway router will not be at the optimal place for maximum wireless range. Even with high power routers, each brick wall will eat your wireless range significantly. A strategically placed AP will address this issue to an extend by sitting at an optimal point which is somewhat equidistant for all and at an elevated position. A reasonably good router + a router as ap will be cost effective than buying a high-end router with monstrous wireless capabilities.

Thanks for your prompt reply mate.

Ok but do you get the minimum transfer speed for fully utilising the internet ?. For example for a 8 Mb/s you get 1024 KB/s speed . Are you at least getting the speed based on your internet speed without the AP.
And BTW please let me know the number of walls in between the router and the client along with the speed you get.

My AP is always on, without it my wife's laptop downstairs (20 ft separated by 1 wall) cant get internet. With the AP there is no issue inside the house, and even outside to around 15 ft. I will try to do some measurements today and let you know.

Thanks mate, but is the laptop able to access the wdr4300 from the same floor (not downstairs) with the same distance ?.

The wdr4300 equips 3 X 5 DBI antennas, right?.
Mate, can you tell if I configure the 8970 as an access point and connect 8968 adsl router and if both are placed in the same location without moving them to the hall, will it be helpful ?.
I hope if the adsl functionality is disabled in the 8970 it will give a better wifi range. What do you say pal ?

The wdr4300 equips 3 X 5 DBI antennas, right?.
Mate, can you tell if I configure the 8970 as an access point and connect 8968 adsl router and if both are placed in the same location without moving them to the hall, will it be helpful ?.
I hope if the adsl functionality is disabled in the 8970 it will give a better wifi range. What do you say pal ?

Yes the WDR4300 has 3 x 5 dbi antenna

I dont think adding the 8968 in the same location and disabling ADSL in the 8970 will help at all. What might work is to terminate the adsl with 8968 in the place of 8970. Then move the 8970 to a centre and elevated position (away from walls) of your house will help

I am getting only 350-500 KB/s transfer speed from my room seperated by 2 walls with glass windows within a distance of 30 feet max. Is it normal ?.
The interesting fact here is the wifi signal shows as EXCELLENT in windows. But i dont get the transfer speed. Dont know whats wrong.

Is the WDR3600 wifi router better than this mate ?. Seriously this speed is driving me crazy.

How are you measuring the transfer speed ? What is the connection speed reported by the wireless adapter in windows ? Which is the wireless card in your laptop ?

Before we get into replacing the routers, let us analyze the problem at hand step by step

Connection speed states 150 Mb/s in atheros 9285 and 300 mb/s in tplink 822n high gain wifi 300 mb/s adapter.

Even the transfer speed is as low as 3 MB/S when transferring to NAS flash drive from wired desktop pc.

I checked my wife's laptop downstairs, it connects at 54 Mbps (Atheros 2427) has 3 bars for signal strenth (out of five) connecting to my WDR4300. I checked speedtest and it easily saturated my internet connection. I could not do a file download test from NAS.

Will check the wifi speeds for file-transfer from NAS in the evening and let you know.

There is something wrong with your setup if your are getting only 300-500 KBps over wifi. Can you check with encryption off, if you have enabled in the router ?

I will check but what is the point in switching off encryption and checking as it will make the router insecure. My encryption is WPA2-PSK / AES for both guest network and main network .[DOUBLEPOST=1454490160][/DOUBLEPOST]what speed do you get with a HDD attached to the NAS port mate ?. i get only 6 - 7 MB/s for my 1 TB seagate hdd. I dont think this is normal and anything to do with encryption as my PC is hardwired to the router.

I was going to ask you about that, yes that is the maximum you get from an external hdd connected to the usb port of your router. I am getting the same only. This is the irrespective of getting connected via wired / wireless.

I have a Banana Pro (similar to Raspberry Pi) in which I have connected a 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA hard disk. I am getting around 25 - 30 Mbps with that.

Ok, but i get only 400 - 500 KB/s transfer speed between wired desktop and wireless laptop and the same speed between wireless laptop and NAS. Is this normal ?

Now if i request them they may give me a WDR3600 in exchange of my 8970. Will it be better than this router. Also i heard that atheros is better than broadcom and my 8970 is powered by broadcom CPU whereas the WDR3600 is powered by atheros CPU.

Back